Your earliest breaking news story you remember

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Armstrong's moon landing.

EDIT: Scratch that! I vaguely remember seeing everyone crying around the television when MLK was assassinated. I was three at the time so I am not entirely sure it is an accurate memory.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Mostly I remember Neil Armstrong's walk on the moon. I vaguely remember Bobby Kennedy being shot but I recall Walter Kronkite talking about it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The weirdest breaking news story that depresses me most was JFK assassination. Funny thing. It happened a couple of years before I was born but it really gets me every time I watch Walter Cronkite every so slightly choke up announcing Kennedy's death, takes off and then replaces his glasses because of the emotion. THAT was a news anchor in every sense of the term.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It was an Earthquake, but I do not recall which one. Most likely one of the three or so in the US in 1975.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I remember seeing Army men and helicopters on TV. They were reports of the Vietnam War, though I didn't understand that at the time.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
My mother! Standing in the kitchen crying the day JFK was shot! I told her he'd be o.k . cuz' john Wayne always seemed to pull thru,that's the first time I can recall her calling me a 'ninney' ,,cuz'" they shot him in the head,you little ninney",,,,needless to say! I was at a loss being bearly walking age,,,
(* straight up all fact& no fiction,,,)

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Iranian hostage crisis then the Challenger explosion. I vaguely remember a few things in the late 70's but nothing stands out.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
The most recent is the Orlando shooting because I was up driving my mom to the airport at around 2:30 am as she was going to Orlando that same morning. Heard it on the radio as I was coming back from the airport.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I think the one that stuck with me the most from my youth was when Reagan got shot.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The most recent is the Orlando shooting because I was up driving my mom to the airport at around 2:30 am as she was going to Orlando that same morning. Heard it on the radio as I was coming back from the airport.

Speaking of Airports. My ex-wife and I had I believe just landed in Texas when the Sandy Hook shooting occurred. Sandy Hook at the time was only about 30 miles from my house. (now it's only like 7!) Given the kids were still in Connecticut, my ex-wife started freaking out hah.

timb2

Reaction score
Nixon resigning. My Mom made me watch it as I wanted to fall asleep.She said "It is History so I can remember" I think I was 6 years old at the time.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Driving to see family in California when the news came on the radio that Robert Kennedy had been shot. I was not old enough to even know who he was, but seeing my Mom burst into tears made it stick.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
The Berlin Wall coming down. Also for some reason have clear memories of watching the siege of Dubrovnik on the news as a wee boy and ended up getting married there nearly quarter of a century later

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Late sixties during the Viet Nam War comes to mind. Heavy conflicts overseas and disturbing unrest at home. A number of young men from the neighborhood never made it back from that conflict.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Interesting topic.

Watching the OJ coverage on TV.

I remember coming home from school and seeing coverage of the Oklahoma City bombing.