Your earliest breaking news story you remember

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
I was in elementary when my teacher Mrs Henderson told us that our President Kennedy had been shot. She released us early for recess. They called us back in after a few minutes and told us he had died then we were released early from school.

I walked home like most students did back then. My mom was standing on the front porch waiting on me. First time I had seen her cry.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Initially thought it must have been the Reagan assassination attempt. Just looked it up on wikipedia and I didn't realize this was only a couple months after his inauguration in '81.

Then I remembered it had to be John Lennon's assassination in late '80 or the 1980 Olympics US hockey miracle on ice.

Nope. It was actually Yankees catcher Thurman Munson dying in a place crash in '79 of all things.
Dude, when RONNIE was shot,I was in the FMF out on a float deployment,,,,the nation went to DEF-CON-4 & we steamed around in circles for 20-30 minutes in general quarters mode till word came down on where to proceedo_O

(* straight up ,no chaser FACT)

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Dirt, just what it looks like. Then, I didn't have to remember what I called it.
Wow,CC just trumped all the players at the card table by playing the ADAM card,,,,there definitely is something to that whole age& deceit quality afforded to those who've purchased it thru the hard coin of experience,,,,o_O

(*just like JJ cutting #88's walking papers,,,,today!)

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Actually with today being the 29th anniversary I've realised that the Hillsborough disaster was about 6 months before the fall of the Berlin Wall. Just a horrible catalogue of errors and then cover-ups with 96 people going to a football match and not coming home. JFT96

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I remember news reports about the Viet Nam war going bad but I don't remember the year. Growing up, I really did not pay much attention to the news. I was much older but I'll never forget watching Monday Night Football and hearing Howard Cosell say John Lennon had been shot and killed.