Your earliest breaking news story you remember

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Initially thought it must have been the Reagan assassination attempt. Just looked it up on wikipedia and I didn't realize this was only a couple months after his inauguration in '81.

Then I remembered it had to be John Lennon's assassination in late '80 or the 1980 Olympics US hockey miracle on ice.

Nope. It was actually Yankees catcher Thurman Munson dying in a place crash in '79 of all things.

rynochop

Reaction score
Iranian hostage crisis then the Challenger explosion. I vaguely remember a few things in the late 70's but nothing stands out.
I remember the failed rescue attempt. 3 mile island, Reagan being shot..I remember my teacher telling us Reagan would get us into a nuclear war when he was elected, kinda traumatizing for a 3rd grader lol

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember the murders of RFK and MLK in '68.

Of course there was Vietnam stuff all over the news but that was just a blur to me because it was every night.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't remember the Manson murders, nor do I remember Woodstock. I do remember the moon landing & walk but that was in '69 of course.

The first news story that really bothered me was the "Candy Man" murders in Houston in the early 70's.

My grandparents use to get those weekly news magazines that were popular at the time and I can remember the huge amount of coverage the case got in those publications with pics of the police digging up the bodies that were buried in a boat house.

I think it bothered me so much because it happened to boys that weren't much older than me at the time.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't remember the Manson murders, nor do I remember Woodstock. I do remember the moon landing & walk but that was in '69 of course.

The first news story that really bothered me was the "Candy Man" murders in Houston in the early 70's.

My grandparents use to get those weekly news magazines that were popular at the time and I can remember the huge amount of coverage the case got in those publications with pics of the police digging up the bodies that were buried in a boat house.

I think it bothered me so much because it happened to boys that weren't much older than me at the time.

I was too young to remember him, but I do remember the bodies found along Calder road in the late 70's/early 80's. I think it was called "The Killing Fields". I grew up just down the street and that was always in the back of our minds. We traversed that area every day going to friends houses or wherever.

nobody

Reaction score
The Iranian Hostage Crisis, followed by Reagan being shot followed by Mount Saint Helen's getting so mad she blew her top.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I remember seeing Army men and helicopters on TV. They were reports of the Vietnam War, though I didn't understand that at the time.
Yes, same with me but what really stuck in my mind was the night we all watched the lottery to see if my older brother would be drafted...

Unfortunately his number came up and we were all frozen, I was young - like 8-9 years old but old enough to know many kids didn't come back.

But yes most of my early memories concerning news was all about the Vietnam War and the protests.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
When Michael Jackson's affinity became revealed. Then probably the OJ trial and Menendez brothers.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't remember the first, but the most impactful are Elvis' death, John Lennon's death, and 9/11.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Magic Johnson having hiv

Mother threasa and princess Diana both dying

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Magic Johnson having hiv

Mother threasa and princess Diana both dying
Magic having hiv and Jimmy leaving the Cowboys were the two most devastating sports headlines in my lifetime. Lakers found ways to win titles again which cured the pain, but the Jimmy Johnson nightmare still lives on.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Elvis' death...day the music died that it may live forever....PLAY IT LOUD.

Reagan Assination Attempt.
Challenger Disaster.

Sports:
Tom Landry being fired.
Herschel Walker being traded.