Your early top 5 targets

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Assuming Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Minkah Fitzpatrick and 4 QBs are the only locks at this point to be off the board before we pick. Some of the guys I listed will be gone as well, but the hope is that at least one is there.

My short list would look something like;

1. Da'ron Payne
2. Vita Vea
3. Quenton Nelson
4. Roquan Smith
5. Derwin James

I'd be ecstatic with any of those names.

Tier below that;

6. Calvin Ridley | WR
7. Taven Bryan | DT
8. Christian Wilkins | DT
9. Ronnie Harrison | S
10. Maurice Hurst | DT
11. Josh Jackson | CB
12. DeShon Elliott | S

7 names I listed at the top means one of these 12 names would be guaranteed to be there at 19.

Also keep in mind I haven't listed any OTs here, but history suggests at least 1 or 2 will come off the board before we pick. No edge rushers listed here either, and we all know there will be a couple drafted early as well. We're sitting in a pretty good spot.

Last edited:

waving monkey

Reaction score
Assuming Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Minkah Fitzpatrick and 3 QBs are the only locks at this point to be off the board before we pick. Some of the guys I listed will be gone as well, but the hope is that at least one is there.

1. Da'ron Payne
2. Vita Vea
3. Quenton Nelson
4. Roquan Smith
5. Derwin James

I like your list because of variety and all good players

Sydla

Reaction score
Nelson-Frederick-Martin would be a disgustingly awesome interior OL.

Nelson is likely going Top 10 however. I saw one article that said a couple of teams have hinted he’s the best player in the draft.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
For the record, Broaddus tweeted this morning Payne has a lot lapse in his film. In fact, Broaddus said last night was best he's seen all year.......coincidence? Other words, he showed up for the stage last night ..........

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Very good list but for me I'm just sitting and taking the best available player at 19.

I'd be tempted to move back into rounds 2 or 3 for a guy but I'm pretty content in R1.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Nelson and Smith are definitely going top 10 so that won't be possible unless they trade up.

marius

Reaction score
My top targets
1 .-Vita Vea DT
2.- Roquan Smith LB
3.- James Washington WR
4.- Maurice Hurst DT
5.- Courtland Sutton WR

6.- Malik Jefferson LB (jaylon smith 2)
7.- Christian Wilkins DT
8.- Ronnie Harrison S
9.- Mike McGlinchey OT
10.- Rashaan Evans LB

Plankton

Reaction score
The guys I wanted from last year (prior to last year's draft) were Quenton Nelson and Bradley Chubb. Obviously, the Cowboys won't be in sniffing distance of either player. Here's more realistic targets:

Round 1 guys:
1. Da'Ron Payne - he's actually a perfect Marinelli 1T candidate - strong, quick off the ball, able to penetrate, and can rush the passer a bit.
2. Rashaan Evans - I will put him over Roquan Smith for two reasons. One, I don't think that Smith will be available at 19. Two, Evans is bigger and more physical, and runs better than a lot of Alabama ILBs.

Round 2-3
3. Chad Thomas - I think he's a guy who has only scratched the surface of his potential.
4. Mark Andrews - Very good receiving TE. Wish he was more stout blocking, but as a receiver, he will kill teams down the seam.
5. Simmie Cobbs - Big, underrated WR with a lot of potential.

Later in the draft, I also like Dalton Schultz a lot (an all around TE who was well coached at Stanford), as well as Sony Michel (would be a terrific complement to Ezekiel Elliott), Brandon Parker (small school OT with heavy hands), and Godwin Igwebuike (intelligent player with range at safety).

Derwin James would be great in Round 1 - I just don't think he will make it to 19, even with a so so junior season.

Reaction score
Assuming Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Minkah Fitzpatrick and 4 QBs are the only locks at this point to be off the board before we pick. Some of the guys I listed will be gone as well, but the hope is that at least one is there.

1. Da'ron Payne
2. Vita Vea
3. Quenton Nelson
4. Roquan Smith
5. Derwin James

Tier below that;

6. Calvin Ridley | WR
7. Taven Bryan | DT
8. Christian Wilkins | DT
9. Ronnie Harrison | S
10. Maurice Hurst | DT
11. Josh Jackson | CB
12. DeShon Elliott | S

7 names I listed at the top means one of these 12 names would be guaranteed to be there at 19.

Also keep in mind I haven't listed any OTs here, but history suggests at least 1 or 2 will come off the board before we pick. No edge rushers listed here either, and we all know there will be a couple drafted early as well. We're sitting in a pretty good spot.
I'm surprised you don't have a pass rusher among them.

Reaction score
Round 1
1-Derwin James, S, Florida State
2-Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
3-Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
4-Austin Bryant, DE, Clemson
5-Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson

Round 2
1-Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma
2-Justin Reid, S, Stanford
3-Connor Williams, OT, Texas
4-Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State
5-Marcus Allen, S, Penn State

If we can get a quality defender in the 1st round, I would be open to a TE the quality of an Andrews. We must stay the course & get our defense a lot better. It's the only way we get back to another ring.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am a fan of Rashaan evans too ,not sure he is right for pick 19 but he should be a consideration if we trade down.

Lane21Train

Reaction score
My top five options possible options right now would be

Roquon Smith
Vita Vea
Maurice Hurst
Christian Kirk
Christian Wilkins.

Just looking at the top ranked players & positional value I really feel like this could be a year where a really nice DT could be sitting there for us.

Hardline

Reaction score
Round 1
1-Derwin James, S, Florida State
2-Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
3-Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
4-Austin Bryant, DE, Clemson
5-Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson

Round 2
1-Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma
2-Justin Reid, S, Stanford
3-Connor Williams, OT, Texas
4-Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State
5-Marcus Allen, S, Penn State

If we can get a quality defender in the 1st round, I would be open to a TE the quality of an Andrews. We must stay the course & get our defense a lot better. It's the only way we get back to another ring.
Conner Williams is a top 10 pick.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Roquan Smith and the best TE available would be my first two picks..

If Jaylon fully heals ...we would be sick at the lb position.

I would also like to get an OT and Armani Watts with the next two picks

9of11

Reaction score
I'll take anybody who can make an impact and start right away...because this team relies on players being having uber talent right from the beginning....we don't develop anyone...