Your early top 5 targets

cowboyec

Reaction score
1.OG Quenton Nelson,Notre Dame
2.LB Roquon Smith,Georgia
3.DT Maurice Hurst,Michigan
4.DT Christian Wilkins,Clemson
5.WR Calvin Ridley,Bama

•nelson a MAJOR up-grade at OG over cooper.
•smith is a no-brainer...he is a game wrecker.
•hurst is my ideal choice...he eats people...we need a fat-bellie run stuffer.
•wilkins would be a tremendous addition to our dline and a great fall back if hurst is off the board.
•ridley can start at no2 WR spot...day 1....eventually take over WR1.

kumizi

Reaction score
I’m in the minority in that I want offensive weapons unless Derwin James or Roquan Smith fall to us.

I’d be fine with taking their highest rated WR at 19 and Goedert in the 2nd round. Every single person I’ve heard describe the Cowboys problems says the same thing. Yea Dak might not be great. Yea Dez is declining. The main problem is that there are no big play threats on the offense other than maybe Zeke. I’d be fine with targeting not only a 1st round wr but also take a chance on a speed guy like Tyreke Hill later in the draft.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Dream pick would be either of Minkah Fitzpatrick or Derwin James. Seems crazy but this time last year I would have said the same about Jonathan Allen, OJ Howard, and Reuben Foster. We just need one of them to pretend he has multiple personality disorder or something and ask everyone to start calling him Mother of Dragons.

These two are probably gone but might drop into our range due to just one year of strong production and Ridley being a bit older...
CB-Josh Jackson
WR-Calvin Ridley​

So my RD1 top 5 list is...
LB-Rashaan Evans
DE-Marcus Davenport
LB-Tremaine Edmunds
S-Ronnie Harrison
DT-Vita Vea​

CB-Isaiah Oliver could find his way into my group with a strong combine/pro day. I like his game. More likely a RD2 guy. Whoever is coaching DBs at Colorado is doing a dang good job. The safety, Afolabi LaGuda, looks good too later on.

I need to watch the OL at some point. Drafting a LG could be a day 1 starter.

The guy I really don't want but could still be around at 19 and worry me is CB-Denzel Ward.

Last edited:

Lane21Train

Reaction score
My top five options possible options right now would be

Roquon Smith
Vita Vea
Maurice Hurst
Christian Kirk
Christian Wilkins.

Just looking at the top ranked players & positional value I really feel like this could be a year where a really nice DT could be sitting there for us.

I’d like to replace Wilkins with Taven Bryan. Dude rips

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
1. Derwin James
2. Roquan Smith
3. Vita Vea

I need more time for a top five. I’m torn on Calvin Ridley and Courtland Sutton. I’d prefer Sutton but I think Ridley would be their target. I don’t like that he’s already 24, undersized, and predominantly a body catcher, but he is great at creating separation.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m honestly shocked by all the Vea love. Clearly over reaction to the obvious need at 1 tech over the last few years. Very overrated player.

As he's my current pet cat, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on why you feel he's a very overrated player?

tm1119

Reaction score
As he's my current pet cat, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on why you feel he's a very overrated player?

Did you watch any of the bowl games? The PAC-12 is soft as can be. Light years away from NFL football. I thought he was dominated by Penn State in the bowl game, and Penn State’s o line really isn’t even that good. I thought Stanford handled him pretty well also...

Not saying he’s bad, but for what he brings to the table I don’t see a top 20 pick at all. I wish there was more evidence of him playing well against good competition. There are others that can do what he does that will be drafted later as well...all my opinion of course.

chicago JK

Reaction score
The guys I wanted from last year (prior to last year's draft) were Quenton Nelson and Bradley Chubb. Obviously, the Cowboys won't be in sniffing distance of either player. Here's more realistic targets:

Round 1 guys:
1. Da'Ron Payne - he's actually a perfect Marinelli 1T candidate - strong, quick off the ball, able to penetrate, and can rush the passer a bit.
2. Rashaan Evans - I will put him over Roquan Smith for two reasons. One, I don't think that Smith will be available at 19. Two, Evans is bigger and more physical, and runs better than a lot of Alabama ILBs.

Round 2-3
3. Chad Thomas - I think he's a guy who has only scratched the surface of his potential.
4. Mark Andrews - Very good receiving TE. Wish he was more stout blocking, but as a receiver, he will kill teams down the seam.
5. Simmie Cobbs - Big, underrated WR with a lot of potential.

Later in the draft, I also like Dalton Schultz a lot (an all around TE who was well coached at Stanford), as well as Sony Michel (would be a terrific complement to Ezekiel Elliott), Brandon Parker (small school OT with heavy hands), and Godwin Igwebuike (intelligent player with range at safety).

Derwin James would be great in Round 1 - I just don't think he will make it to 19, even with a so so junior season.

I forgot about James. I know he was injured the year before and FSU had a poor season. As a Freshman he looked like a future top 5 pick and I thought he looked like the better prospect over Jalen Ramsey. If he is healthy, I think he needs to go pretty high.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
MY top 5 of guys who should be in that 19 range

1. Taven Bryan DT
2. Courtland Sutton WR
3. Marcell Ateman WR
4. Lamar Jackson - switch to WR
5. Roquan Smith LB

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
1. Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
2. Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
3. Derwin James, S, Florida State (only because I think he could slip some)
4. Taven Bryan, DL, Florida
5. Harold Landry, DE, Boston College

Quenton Nelson and Minkah Fitzpatrick would be on this list if not for the fact I think we have zero shot at drafting them.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
I’m honestly shocked by all the Vea love. Clearly over reaction to the obvious need at 1 tech over the last few years. Very overrated player.

And I think his combine is going to push him out of our reach at 19

cowboyec

Reaction score
5 others I like at 19
1.Tremane Edmunds,LB-Va Tech
2.Vita Vea,DT-Washington
3.Daron Payne,DT-Alabama
4.Derwin James,S-Fsu
5.Ronnie Harrison,S-Alabama

•I like everything about Edmunds....if we lose Hitchens....he's a nice addition.
•Vea is a man-eater...probably ideal for a team that runs 3-4....but it would be a hard pass at 19...but I think he's a top 10 guy.
•Payne would be a tremendous DT here.
•James is a playmaker...like his toughness...total package.
•I love bama DBs...Harrison is solid.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
1. DL Taven Bryan...after the combine there's going to be a lot more people looking his way.
2. WR Calvin Ridley
3. DT Christian Wilkins
4. OG Quenton Nelson
5. WR Courtland Sutton

btcutter

Reaction score
5 others I like at 19
1.Tremane Edmunds,LB-Va Tech
2.Vita Vea,DT-Washington
3.Daron Payne,DT-Alabama
4.Derwin James,S-Fsu
5.Ronnie Harrison,S-Alabama

•I like everything about Edmunds....if we lose Hitchens....he's a nice addition.
•Vea is a man-eater...probably ideal for a team that runs 3-4....but it would be a hard pass at 19...but I think he's a top 10 guy.
•Payne would be a tremendous DT here.
•James is a playmaker...like his toughness...total package.
•I love bama DBs...Harrison is solid.

Can't make up my mind about Payne. Play like Tarzan during National Championship but like Jane rest of the year with little production. If Cowboys think he's just scratching surface and it's because of scheme then he fits our D because of position flex as well. However, I am worried about Payne.

Vea can be a Ngata like player. Instantly upgrade run D, short yardage D and let the LBs run and chase.
If Ridley and Smith not there that's whom I like. Build the D from inside out.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Can't make up my mind about Payne. Play like Tarzan during National Championship but like Jane rest of the year with little production. If Cowboys think he's just scratching surface and it's because of scheme then he fits our D because of position flex as well. However, I am worried about Payne.

Vea can be a Ngata like player. Instantly upgrade run D, short yardage D and let the LBs run and chase.
If Ridley and Smith not there that's whom I like. Build the D from inside out.
don't disagree at all.
I like Maurice Hurst,DT-Michigan the most if Smith is not there.
If we have to pick between Ridley,Hurst or Vea....man....thats a dream because any 1 will be an immediate starter...day 1.
It changes daily....right now...in THAT scenario...I take Ridley.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Nelson and Smith are definitely going top 10 so that won't be possible unless they trade up.
Some might see Roquan as a Will Linebacker, which would push him down to our range. Where we would have to trade up to 14 or 15 to get him. I'm not sure about that because I just can't get over the fact that Oakland or Miami could snatch him up easily being that Linebacker is need for both teams that can not be overstated.

For me:
1. Derwin James S, Florida State
2. Roquan Smith LB, Georgia
3. Mo Hurst DT, Michigan
4. Da'Ron Payne DT, Bama
5. Joshua Jackson CB, Iowa

waving monkey

Reaction score
I see others watch the game seeing that the middle of the defensive line is a problem.
Those D1's can be drafted later then the 1st or 2nd and do real well.Thats the idea any way.

I'm not trusting TSmith back. I'm buying insurance and paying a higher premium because I think
we might or might not be ready to make a run for it. if we are ready I cash in my policy.

None of us like where we are with Sean Lee.Something is wrong when the entire defense goes down
because your star goes out for 4 or 5 games. We need the warrior sage to call the shots behind Lee.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
MY top 5 of guys who should be in that 19 range

1. Taven Bryan DT
2. Courtland Sutton WR
3. Marcell Ateman WR
4. Lamar Jackson - switch to WR
5. Roquan Smith LB
Jackson is probably the best athlete in the draft and would be the most explosive player on are team as soon as he is on the field. Can't wait to see him at the combine. You don't think he can play quarterback?