Your early top 5 targets

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I see others watch the game seeing that the middle of the defensive line is a problem.
Those D1's can be drafted later then the 1st or 2nd and do real well.Thats the idea any way.

I'm not trusting TSmith back. I'm buying insurance and paying a higher premium because I think
we might or might not be ready to make a run for it. if we are ready I cash in my policy.

None of us like where we are with Sean Lee.Something is wrong when the entire defense goes down
because your star goes out for 4 or 5 games. We need the warrior sage to call the shots behind Lee.

Ya know? I've struggled rather mightily in the angling of the compiled profile with you& it probably will continue to be one of those ongoing types of casing-liner's,,,Now:)! That being said, my esteemed & highly respected friend& fellow!
It's obvious to me that YOU are "all in " for the Defensive unit of battle team DALLAS receiving the first (3) picks?,,,er,,,in a perfectly controlled world of course, as that's EXACTLY what the WISDOM DICTATES!
you've become absolutely my #1 favorite poster during this particular time frame of posting operations @waving monkey & it's my privilege to also relay that: I sir, am in fact a 'Team India' fan HANDS DOWN when it comes to dealing with CHINA!:thumbup::bow::thumbup:

if you ever 'feel' affronted or fuzzed up by anything I might have put forth in the past,please excuse myself, friend,,,cuz' it's COWBOYS FOOTBALL we're impassioned about anyway!
It's these ( what I've falsely perceived as credible posters who are brainlessly clamoring for a ' speed receiver' that boggle the brainial casing-liner of thought ,due to prior past deeds of long term
neglect! )Sure,,,JJ head hunted
' neon- Dion' back in the day for the flash extravaganza he so greatly loved to claim as to his brilliance,,, but man,WAVING-M! This perennial defensive hemorrhaging of loss by superior points is TRULY 50% of the equation, man!
And it would be nice to see serious effort focused in that directiono_O

:starspin::hammer::starspin:

Last edited:

waving monkey

Reaction score
Ya know? I've struggled rather mightily in the angling of the compiled profile with you& it probably will continue to be one of those ongoing types of casing-liner's,,,Now:)! That being said, my esteemed & highly respected friend& fellow!
It's obvious to me that YOU are "all in " for the Defensive unit of battle team DALLAS receiving the first (3) picks?,,,er,,,in a perfectly controlled world of course, as that's EXACTLY what the WISDOM DICTATES!
you've become absolutely my #1 favorite poster during this particular time frame of posting operations @waving monkey & it's my privilege to also relay that: I sir, am in fact a 'Team India' fan HANDS DOWN when it comes to dealing with CHINA!:thumbup::bow::thumbup:

if you ever 'feel' affronted or fuzzed up by anything I might have put forth in the past,please excuse myself, friend,,,cuz' it's COWBOYS FOOTBALL we're impassioned about anyway!
It's these ( what I've falsely perceived as credible posters who are brainlessly clamoring for a ' speed receiver' that boggle the brainial casing-liner of thought ,due to prior past deeds of long term
neglect! )Sure,,,JJ head hunted
' neon- Dion' back in the day for the flash extravaganza he so greatly loved to claim as to his brilliance,,, but man,WAVING-M! This perennial defensive hemorrhaging of loss by superior points is TRULY 50% of the equation, man!
And it would be nice to see serious effort focused in that directiono_O

:starspin::hammer::starspin:
Thanks loads Melonfeud, Ya i dont think we have finished the defense but that pesky offensive line is killin Dak.
Gotta do something bout that.
again thanks Melonfeud however I am afraid there are a few that would rather tar and feather me

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Jackson is probably the best athlete in the draft and would be the most explosive player on are team as soon as he is on the field. Can't wait to see him at the combine. You don't think he can play quarterback?
I don’t think he can be a good passer in the nfl. I think he would be the first wr off the board if he made the change.

icup

Reaction score
1. Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
2. Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
3. Derwin James, S, Florida State (only because I think he could slip some)
4. Taven Bryan, DL, Florida
5. Harold Landry, DE, Boston College

Quenton Nelson and Minkah Fitzpatrick would be on this list if not for the fact I think we have zero shot at drafting them.
you don't like vea, payne or hurst?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think he can be a good passer in the nfl. I think he would be the first wr off the board if he made the change.
I hear you. He reminds me of a former Eagle and Cowboy player Randall Cunningham. I think he is faster and just as elusive. Lamar may not have the arm that Randall had. Gonna be fun watching him at the combine.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I think Derwin James is the dream pick.

After that I think Payne, Vea, Roquan, Fitzpatrick, and Ridley would all be great choices.

I'm fine if we selected a Offensive Tackle or Tight End too if they validate the pick.
I agree completely Derwin James makes the most sense(even with his injury)
and then for me Roquan Smith LB. We probably disagree as I am not totally on board with Jaylon Smith at this point in time.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I am assuming Chubb, Fitzpatrick and Nelson are gone.

Roquan Smith
Taven Bryan
Maurice Hurst
Vea
Derwin James

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
you don't like vea, payne or hurst?
Not at 19.

Hurst maybe, but I still think Collins is better at 3Tech and Hurst is a pure 3Tech IMO.

I like Vea and Payne (Payne more) if we are drafting late 1st/early 2nd.

winzstar

Reaction score
Frankly I think that if you are aware of the area of need (knowledgeable fan) and players the so-called experts are suggesting are investigated then its rather easy to find talent in the first and second rounds. I think the rounds from 3 thru 7 are where the true evaluators come into play.

winzstar

Reaction score
If you are interested in OL in this draft you might want to look at James Daniels C out of Iowa. He could serve as depth for Travis and I think he will be a shade below Nelson at guard. Under the radar player in later rounds.

btcutter

Reaction score
Not at 19.

Hurst maybe, but I still think Collins is better at 3Tech and Hurst is a pure 3Tech IMO.

I like Vea and Payne (Payne more) if we are drafting late 1st/early 2nd.

Personally I wouldn't write of Vea at 19. Watching Youtube (take that with grain of salt), the man is unmovable and shed/tackle with 1 arm. When he tackles you don't move forward. The big question is that "What was he asked to do at WA?". Was he suppose to eat up block and stay home? or did he have green light to penetrate on all downs. If Vea was simply asked to play run first during 1 and 2nd downs and only allowed to penetrate on 3rd down then I would seriously consider him at 19 if still available. The man is supposedly a better Poe and could be our Ngata with maybe better lateral quickness.
Quickest way to QB is ......straight line in the middle. All QBs hate pressure up the middle. He will also provide amazing short yardage D that this D sorely needs.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Frankly I think that if you are aware of the area of need (knowledgeable fan) and players the so-called experts are suggesting are investigated then its rather easy to find talent in the first and second rounds. I think the rounds from 3 thru 7 are where the true evaluators come into play.

I've been a draft fan for a long time and I've noticed a significant spike in interest the last several years. It is so publicized now that the average waitress in a sports bar knows the 1st round guys. You make your money on day 3. The great teams win those rounds.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Assuming Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Minkah Fitzpatrick and 4 QBs are the only locks at this point to be off the board before we pick. Some of the guys I listed will be gone as well, but the hope is that at least one is there.

My short list would look something like;

1. Da'ron Payne
2. Vita Vea
3. Quenton Nelson
4. Roquan Smith
5. Derwin James

I'd be ecstatic with any of those names.

Tier below that;

6. Calvin Ridley | WR
7. Taven Bryan | DT
8. Christian Wilkins | DT
9. Ronnie Harrison | S
10. Maurice Hurst | DT
11. Josh Jackson | CB
12. DeShon Elliott | S

7 names I listed at the top means one of these 12 names would be guaranteed to be there at 19.

Also keep in mind I haven't listed any OTs here, but history suggests at least 1 or 2 will come off the board before we pick. No edge rushers listed here either, and we all know there will be a couple drafted early as well. We're sitting in a pretty good spot.

Pretty solid - I'd probably go:

VIta Vea
DaRon Payne
Calvin Ridley
Maurice Hurst
Derwin James

I'd add Roquan Smith to that list if we don't resign Hitch. If we do, I don't see you spend a 1st on a guy that would see such limited snaps.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m honestly shocked by all the Vea love. Clearly over reaction to the obvious need at 1 tech over the last few years. Very overrated player.
His highlight plays are usually when he is single blocked. It's troubling that he ever gets single blocking in college as a 1tech DT.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Ja
I agree completely Derwin James makes the most sense(even with his injury)
and then for me Roquan Smith LB. We probably disagree as I am not totally on board with Jaylon Smith at this point in time.

Jaylon needs to keep making strides. I think it’s a confidence thing with the knee.

jay94

Reaction score
We missed on so many great second picks with Jaylon, nothing against him, but to me it was the biggest whiffed pick in the last 3ish years, Escobar before, believe 2013 so 4!!!

cnuball21

Reaction score
We missed on so many great second picks with Jaylon, nothing against him, but to me it was the biggest whiffed pick in the last 3ish years, Escobar before, believe 2013 so 4!!!

I'm hoping Jaylon can reverse the curse of the 2nd round for us. He started playing with a little more confidence towards the end of last year so hopefully he turns the corner and busts out in 2018.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Ja

Jaylon needs to keep making strides. I think it’s a confidence thing with the knee.
That would be great for him as he seems to have lots of mindfulness. If he comes back to full strength this goes in the category of AD coming back from that knee surgery and posting that great season.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
In this order:

Calvin Ridley
Vita Vea
Roquan Smith
Tremaine Edwards
Marcus Davenport

If I can't have any of them, then I start looking at Billy Price, Josh Jackson, Harrison Phillips and Mark Andrews.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Vita Vea DT
Calvin Ridley if he's there WR
Christian Kirk WR
Anthony Miller WR
Christian Wilkins DT

These are my choices at number 1.