Your favorite martial art films of all time?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Billy Jack?
It was a series of low-budget action movies in the early 70's. I remember my mother taking me to a matinee for one of them called The Trial of Billy Jack. The central character was a pacifist/martial artist who defended Native Americans from injustices. The movies' messages were deep but the acting was not. Good action though.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Too many to pick just one from....

Enter The Dragon, Fists of Fury, Game Of Death, etc
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Raid 1 and 2..... still waiting for Raid 3
Once Upon A Time In China
IP Man 1 and 2
Ong Bak, The Protector
Fearless, Fist Of Legend, Unleashed
Drunken Master
The Five Deadly Venoms
Iron Monkey
Kill Bill, Hero
Five Fingers Of Death
Shogun Assassin
Zatoichi, The Blind Swordsman movies.... would they be considered martial art movies?
And one of my personal favs "Chocolate"..... great fight scenes
Was going to say
How does anyone not include “Enter the Dragon”?
Thanks

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Was going to say
How does anyone not include “Enter the Dragon”?
Thanks
There's so many great ones that I left out.....

Grandmaster
Police Story
Kung ** Hustle
Shaolin
Bloodsport, Kickboxer etc.
pretty much everything from the Shaw Brothers

I mentioned "Chocolate", but it's a must see for any martial arts movie fan. It's about an autistic girl that only comes out of her shell watching martial arts movies and eating candy(chocolate). She's a martial arts savant from just watching the movies. Originally, they wanted to show split screens during some of the fight scenes to show her mimicking the various styles of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan etc, but had to cut all the other movies footage out, because of copyright problems. Too bad, but you can tell while watching the fights especially Bruce Lee, she has his mannerisms and movements down, even that little "yowl' he does. It's from the same director that did "Ong Bak"

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a series of low-budget action movies in the early 70's. I remember my mother taking me to a matinee for one of them called The Trial of Billy Jack. The central character was a pacifist/martial artist who defended Native Americans from injustices. The movies' messages were deep but the acting was not. Good action though.

lol

Yeah, I know what the films were... Just listing it with a question mark because it was a questionable martial arts movie.

I remember the "Mad Magazine" spoof on the film where the gimmick was his feet stank and by putting them under the noses of the bad guys he defeated them.

It was funnier in "Mad Magazine".

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol

Yeah, I know what the films were... Just listing it with a question mark because it was a questionable martial arts movie.

I remember the "Mad Magazine" spoof on the film where the gimmick was his feet stank and by putting them under the noses of the bad guys he defeated them.

It was funnier in "Mad Magazine".
The Billy Jack movies demonstrated the Hapkido (I had to google that one) style of martial arts. I have posted a movie scene and a short Hapkido instructional video (only kicking though) for comparison:

quickccc

Reaction score

Quote from Billy Jack:
" i'm gonna take this right foot and i'm gonna whop you on the side of your face,
..and you wanna know something?.. there's not a damn thing you're gonna be able to do about it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quote from Billy Jack:
" i'm gonna take this right foot and i'm gonna whop you on the side of your face,
..and you wanna know something?.. there's not a damn thing you're gonna be able to do about it.
lol. I found and edited the video I posted. It has that quote. Unfortunately the guy, who got whooped footed across the face, replied with language not permitted on the site. So I decided to snip that part off and show only the fight instead. :D

quickccc

Reaction score

East, i thought for sure that some studio would have been interested in re-booting Billy Jack in today's re-boot craze.
the bare foot and black hat appearances makes him a, appealing stand out, and i would a director would want to add even more to it.

Only difference in a re-boot is that they would have to implement waaay more fancy wow fighting choreography in a new one that was in the original Jack.
i thought the original Billy Jack was more of a political drama than an action film. And it won't sell at the box office attraction as that type of movie, imo.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
East, i thought for sure that some studio would have been interested in re-booting Billy Jack in today's re-boot craze.
the bare foot and black hat appearances makes him a, appealing stand out, and i would a director would want to add even more to it.

Only difference in a re-boot is that they would have to implement waaay more fancy wow fighting choreography in a new one that was in the original Jack.
i thought the original Billy Jack was more of a political drama than an action film. And it won't sell at the box office attraction as that type of movie, imo.
It would not surprise me if some studio brings back Billy Jack. Hollywood has grown notoriously repetitive in the last two decades.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
The Big Brawl (Jackie Chan movie from about 10 years before he became well known

The Karate Kid, duh

Bloodsport

They call me Bruce