Your first car accident or biggest almost-car-accident

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Kawasaki GPZ750. I was still in HS, Jr.

It was a Saturday Morning, I was riding home from my Buddies house, we had hung out on Friday and went to a couple of parties. I was riding in the Center Lane, coming to an intersection, I had the Green light. Maybe 20 feet before I entered the intersection, a women in the turning lane, pulled right out in front of me. I had zero time to react, I hit the rear passenger quarter panel between the rear door and the rear tire. I went head first over her car and the bike came along with me. Luckily, I caught my foot on the handle bar and that got me to flipping, instead of just going head first like I was shot out of a cannon. I flipped through the intersection and landed near the far side stop lights. Because I was flipping, I was lucky enough to land in such a way as to hit feet first and slide onto my back from there on. I slide for a good ways. As I was sliding, I saw the bike land on my right side, it actually bounced right over me and landed on my left side, as I was sliding and then hit the medium and came to a rest on that other side.

I was so lucky that day. A split second sooner and I probably get hit by the car or hit it in such a way that I don't catch my foot and land head first. I'd be dead right now. The bike could have easily landed on me and killed me. Any number of little things happen a hair differently and ABQCowboy never lives to post on this board.

Women claimed she never even saw me. That's the real problem with riding. It's not the rider a lot of times. It's the fact that other drivers don't register when they see bikes on the road. You see it, but your brain doesn't recognize it. It's used to seeing cars so when they see a bike, your brain doesn't send the same signals all the time. It's called Blind Sight. Your eyes see it but your brain, for whatever reason, does not place the object in the right context. Because of this, you don't register it as something in your filed of vision.

I just got back on a bike a few weeks ago after a 16 year hiatus. I must say, being old and on a bike may find my motor skills a bit diminished, but my acute attention span and reduced testosterone levels definitely work to my advantage.

A couple of years ago I was in my car merging into the right lane of a parkway when I noticed a 3 man, staggered formation of bikers in the middle lane alongside and then in front of me. I felt they were driving a bit aggressively, throttling up and down to keep their lane unimpeded. Sure enough, a young woman, trying to make a left exit from the parkway that caught her by surprise, plowed into the front guy in the formation on a full dresser and catapulted him into the air about 4 feet above his bike before he splashed to a stop on the blacktop right in front of my car in now in the left lane. He was riding in her blind-spot and she never saw him as she tried to merge across two freakin' lanes of traffic to get to the exit.. He lay on the ground unconscious, frothing at the mouth and struggling to breathe. The shock of the crash caused him to wet his pants. I stayed with him and his irate buddies until a medical person arrived. Not sure if he made it.

The young lady. obviously an inexperienced driver, was really shook as were her passengers. I learned a great deal about riding on two wheels from that unfortunate episode that will stay with me forever..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I just got back on a bike a few weeks ago after a 16 year hiatus. I must say, being old and on a bike may find my motor skills a bit diminished, but my acute attention span and reduced testosterone levels definitely work to my advantage.

A couple of years ago I was in my car merging into the right lane of a parkway when I noticed a 3 man, staggered formation of bikers in the middle lane alongside and then in front of me. I felt they were driving a bit aggressively, throttling up and down to keep their lane unimpeded. Sure enough, a young woman, trying to make a left exit from the parkway that caught her by surprise, plowed into the front guy in the formation on a full dresser and catapulted him into the air about 4 feet above his bike before he splashed to a stop on the blacktop right in front of my car in now in the left lane. He was riding in her blind-spot and she never saw him as she tried to merge across two freakin' lanes of traffic to get to the exit.. He lay on the ground unconscious, frothing at the mouth and struggling to breathe. The shock of the crash caused him to wet his pants. I stayed with him and his irate buddies until a medical person arrived. Not sure if he made it.

The young lady. obviously an inexperienced driver, was really shook as were her passengers. I learned a great deal about riding on two wheels from that unfortunate episode that will stay with me forever..

Only takes one.

jsb357

Reaction score
a long time ago I ditched a Honda CVCC on a gravel road at a high rate of speed

Collision with a large hackberry tree flipped the car onto the roof.

I woke up upside down and without any shoes on.

kicked out the drive side window with my bare foot to escape the vehicle.

ran a mile or so to the nearest house to phone home.

car was beyond totaled and the front bumper was another 50ft down the road
when the car was recovered.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
a long time ago I ditched a Honda CVCC on a gravel road at a high rate of speed

Collision with a large hackberry tree flipped the car onto the roof.

I woke up upside down and without any shoes on.

kicked out the drive side window with my bare foot to escape the vehicle.

ran a mile or so to the nearest house to phone home.

car was beyond totaled and the front bumper was another 50ft down the road
when the car was recovered.
...and you suffered your worst injuries when you got home!