Your Most Inspirational Cowboy

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imagine being the first African-American players to play for the Cowboys in the early 1960s before modern civil rights laws. Here are some inspiring guys I will praise for overcoming the prejudices and racism they encountered early in their careers in Dallas:
  • Frank Clarke- great TE and first receiving star for Cowboys in early 60s.
  • Don Perkins- in the ROH. First great RB for Cowboys
  • Mel Renfro- drafted by the Cowboys in their great 1964 draft- member of HOF. Tells stories of how hard it was to buy a house in Dallas as a young black player.
  • Jethro Pugh- great DT on the first Doomsday Ds.
  • Cornell Green- All pro safety of the 60s and early 70s.
This list could go on...All of these guys came to Dallas before the Civil rights laws that protect all Americans now from being discriminated against in housing. All these guys had to endure some racism in the early days of the Cowboys. Mel Renfro tells an amazing story about his struggle with housing when he first came here. All these guys were pioneers and paved the way for future black players.
:starspin::clap::yourock:

RS12

Reaction score
A lot of great mentions so far and I can think of many more but I am gonna throw an obscure one out there: Walt Garrison and I know most here never saw him play. Not the most talented but nobody the hole harder and had a knack for getting the tough yards in the clutch. Also tougher than a $2 steak.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
A lot of great mentions so far and I can think of many more but I am gonna throw an obscure one out there: Walt Garrison and I know most here never saw him play. Not the most talented but nobody the hole harder and had a knack for getting the tough yards in the clutch. Also tougher than a $2 steak.
Beat me to it, a real cowboys who also played football.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You can be inspired by someone without believing he's one of the greatest people on the planet. If a player's goodwill or charitable gift has ever made you decide to give, then he's inspired you. If Emmitt's effort against the Giants, despite a separated shoulder ever made you try just a little harder or tolerate just a bit more pain. If Charles Haley.......hmm, never mind.
those are awesome on field accomplishments that can make you add them to a favorite players list and have pride wearing their jerseys, but I save Life Inspirations from truly inspirational people not collecting millions to play a kids sport or make fake movies.:)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
those are awesome on field accomplishments that can make you add them to a favorite players list and have pride wearing their jerseys, but I save Life Inspirations from truly inspirational people not collecting millions to play a kids sport or make fake movies.:)
I think a lot of people assign too much meaning to the word "inspiration". As an artist, I can be inspired by a thunderstorm, a great speech, the sight of a beautiful woman, or just a simple shape I see in the pattern of wallpaper.

In this sense, my signature makes it clear that Emmitt is the Cowboy by whom I've been the most inspired.

Inspiration isn't necessarily life changing.