Your Offseason Plan

glimmerman

Reaction score
Not sure if you knew or not but Bones Fassel did some good work with Tavon with the Rams. That's why I think they might keep him. Anything offensively would be a bonus.

Transition tag with Cooper isn't a bad idea either.

Going with my plan, cornerback becomes a big draft priority, likely early and often.
Not sure on the new DC and his feelings on a big DT in the middle. Cooper may get the tag. A lot is up in the air about the drop off at the end of the season and him not being on the field. I think he was hurt worse than what he was saying and hearing now the WR coach was the one pulling him. The tag let’s us check him out another year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think there are a few reasons why I expect the team to 'go for it' this year:
  1. Jerry thinks he has a team that can win now.
  2. He hired a veteran coach to win now.
  3. He has a lot of cap space saved up to work with.
  4. The team does have holes to fill.
  5. Jerry is working closely on the new CBA and knows better than anyone what those future caps will look like.
I agree. JJ knows he wasted enough time and finally realized before the season ended that JG wasn’t the guy. The players only backed JG because it kept status quo and the players had control. He is making the right moves now and knows the cap will grow even bigger than ever. The Elliot deal is still a head scratcher though.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My offseason plan is to have a beer (or two), take a vacation (or two), watch some NCAA basketball, have another beer (or two), watch some baseball while having a beer (or two).

ShiningStar

Reaction score
First i want to see what MM does. there are some players to resign, and some hard decisions have to be made. Do we stock up on D and finally take it serious, or do we go flow blown offense and make some changes.

Really, we need other TEs other than Black and Dalton? why not try out our younger guys first.

Id really prefer to draft a safety at this point. im not re signing Tavon, bring in a young gun.

i like the rest, but MM is going to have hard decisions to make.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Now that most of the big coaching decisions have been made and the staff is nearly complete, I've started to take a look at the roster, and the players I would keep and those I would let go. I'm interested to see what you all would do if it were up to you?

1. I would franchise tag Prescott for this year. Give the new staff a year or so to work with him and then truly decide if he is worth the huge investment. Having said that, I fully expect the team to give him a long term deal instead. $35 million annually.
  2. Give Amari Cooper the big money contract. He's a proven commodity on the field and a safe bet off the field. It will certainly be overpaying, but you signed on for that when you traded for him. $18-$20 million annually.
  3. Pay Robert Quinn. No Cowboys defender was more disruptive and more productive than he was. If anyone deserves to get paid around here, it's him. Don;t let good pass rushers get away. $10 million annually.
  4. Let Byron Jones walk. Good player, great teammate, team guy. Allergic to the football and will likely cost $14-$15 million a year. Just not a playmaker and this defense needs them.
  5. Cut Tyrone Crawford. A no-brainer. Saves you $8 million in cap room that can be used for an actual starter.
  6. Sign DT Jordan Phillips. A huge, mountain of a man at 6'6" and 340 lbs to solidify the middle of your defense. A young player that came into his own in 2019 with 9.5 sacks. Pay Phillips the money you saved by releasing Crawford. $6 - $8 million annually.
  7. Sign Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix to help to solidify one of your safety spots. Bye bye Jeff Heath, thanks for everything. $5 - $6 million annually.
  8. Sign TE Eric Ebron. A former 1st round pick and a high end athlete at the position, much needed in McCarthy's offense. 13 touchdowns in 2018 is no joke. $7 million annually.
  9. Re-sign Randall Cobb. He was worth the money last year and will likely want to stick around.
  10. Re-sign Tavon Austin for the same modest salary as in 2019. I think the new staff and special teams coach will better utilize him.
  11. Bring back Sean Lee in whatever capacity he chooses. If he wants to play another year? Let him play. If he wants to get into coaching? Make him a defensive assistant. The point is that you don't let a football guy and mind like that leave the building.
  12. Dedicate your draft capital to fixing your defense. The offensive side has enough talent and investments and the defense doesn't. While the offensive picks have hit, the defensive ones have missed, so it's back to the drawing board and the draft.
That's my early plan, what do you folks think we should do?
Off-season plan: Stick it to the NFL! Win it all.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My offseason plan is to have a beer (or two), take a vacation (or two), watch some NCAA basketball, have another beer (or two), watch some baseball while having a beer (or two).

What's your beer of choice?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Stop reading after #1 because they made Dak prove himself last year by not signing him to an extension. And he did.
That’s not true. Prescott wanted to prove it to himself. It wasn’t them that Wanted him to prove it

Sydla

Reaction score
He would be a huge upgrade, and cheaper than I expected and much more so than what other safeties are costing.

Frankly, I would be fine with upgrading both S spots. I had high hopes for Woods but he just seemed to flat line this year. Bring in Clinton-Dix and then draft a S? I can live with that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would be cool with this but some nitpicks, Phillips will probably get more than 7MM and Byron Jones will get less than 14 and resign.

I don't want Ha-Ha, he is a "grass is greener" version of Heath. Draft a S in the first two rounds.

I based my costs estimates off of Spotrac's expected Market Value numbers.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I agree about the tag to Prescott.
I let Cooper walk
I don't sign a FA TE. Bring back Jarwin and draft a TE - mid rounds
I bring back Quinn - if possible
I keep B. Jones- if possible
As far as safety goes - I would see if any FA would really be an upgrade, if so, then I do that, if not we go to the draft
I wouldn't pay Austin
I agree about cutting Crawford

Draft would be mostly D. First 4 rounds - DT, WR, S and TE, best of the each round. After that , all D.

Free Agency - look for solid players for the OL, we need good depth and most of ours may be leaving. Maybe a S and DT as well, if they are reasonably priced.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frankly, I would be fine with upgrading both S spots. I had high hopes for Woods but he just seemed to flat line this year. Bring in Clinton-Dix and then draft a S? I can live with that.

I think the young guy Donovan Wilson will get a good shot at one of them this year. He made plays when given the opportunity last year and played for the new secondary coach Linguist as well. I think he has the inside track.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now that most of the big coaching decisions have been made and the staff is nearly complete, I've started to take a look at the roster, and the players I would keep and those I would let go. I'm interested to see what you all would do if it were up to you?

1. I would franchise tag Prescott for this year. Give the new staff a year or so to work with him and then truly decide if he is worth the huge investment. Having said that, I fully expect the team to give him a long term deal instead. $35 million annually.
  2. Give Amari Cooper the big money contract. He's a proven commodity on the field and a safe bet off the field. It will certainly be overpaying, but you signed on for that when you traded for him. $18-$20 million annually.
  3. Pay Robert Quinn. No Cowboys defender was more disruptive and more productive than he was. If anyone deserves to get paid around here, it's him. Don;t let good pass rushers get away. $10 million annually.
  4. Let Byron Jones walk. Good player, great teammate, team guy. Allergic to the football and will likely cost $14-$15 million a year. Just not a playmaker and this defense needs them.
  5. Cut Tyrone Crawford. A no-brainer. Saves you $8 million in cap room that can be used for an actual starter.
  6. Sign DT Jordan Phillips. A huge, mountain of a man at 6'6" and 340 lbs to solidify the middle of your defense. A young player that came into his own in 2019 with 9.5 sacks. Pay Phillips the money you saved by releasing Crawford. $6 - $8 million annually.
  7. Sign Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix to help to solidify one of your safety spots. Bye bye Jeff Heath, thanks for everything. $5 - $6 million annually.
  8. Sign TE Eric Ebron. A former 1st round pick and a high end athlete at the position, much needed in McCarthy's offense. 13 touchdowns in 2018 is no joke. $7 million annually.
  9. Re-sign Randall Cobb. He was worth the money last year and will likely want to stick around.
  10. Re-sign Tavon Austin for the same modest salary as in 2019. I think the new staff and special teams coach will better utilize him.
  11. Bring back Sean Lee in whatever capacity he chooses. If he wants to play another year? Let him play. If he wants to get into coaching? Make him a defensive assistant. The point is that you don't let a football guy and mind like that leave the building.
  12. Dedicate your draft capital to fixing your defense. The offensive side has enough talent and investments and the defense doesn't. While the offensive picks have hit, the defensive ones have missed, so it's back to the drawing board and the draft.
I agree with most, but I would not bring Lee or Witten back as players.

I really like both of them, but there are better and younger (and more reliable in Lee's case) players available through free agency and the draft.

If they want to coach, that's fine, but if they want to play, it's time to move on from them and bring in some new players.

I also would not keep Tavon Austin. As a returner, I think he can be replaced in the draft with a guy who will run more north and south on returns. As a receiver, he's easily replaceable.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I based my costs estimates off of Spotrac's expected Market Value numbers.

I know, but that is an algorithm that just averages four comparable players. I'm not knocking you, I just think that if you look at those comps you end up believing Phillips gets a higher amount.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score

Great post! I do wonder if Dak will hold out if tagged. I don't know much about Dix other than he was a high pick and didn't realize Ebron had 13 TDs in 2018. How old is he?

Swagger

Reaction score

We generally don't agree on much but you write an excellent post and I agree with nearly all of your points.

Personally, I would keep Byron Jones but I do not know if that's possible regarding the salary cap. Really rate him very highly.

One point regarding Ha Ha Clinton Dix, I have always liked him as a player. However, there is an argument that you take with one hand and give with the other. He is known as a ball hawk but there is the argument that at times he gives up big plays due to blown coverages. I do like him though and if he could be even more disciplined then yes he's worth it.

Big fan of Eric Ebron. I'm shocked that some people do not see the upside with him. Complete mismatch to mark as you state.

ShiningStar

Reaction score

I really like both of them, but there are better and younger (and more reliable in Lee's case) players available through free agency and the draft.

If they want to coach, that's fine, but if they want to play, it's time to move on from them and bring in some new players.

I also would not keep Tavon Austin. As a returner, I think he can be replaced in the draft with a guy who will run more north and south on returns. As a receiver, he's easily replaceable.

Time to move on, both are realistic decsions that need to be made.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I definitely agree on not bringing Witten back as a player. He can assist the new TE coach while he learns how to be a real coach, but that's it. I think Lee played well enough to get another year of he wants one. And he held up much better in more of a part time role as well. And I think he can still teach the young linebackers a lot.

I'm ;leaving Austin's fate up to Fassel. If he wants him, so do I.