Your pick at 10. CB or TE?

If these players are there at #10, who are you picking?

• Kyle Pitts

• Patrick Surtain II / Jaycee Horn

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Who was the last highly draft TE to be Super awesome HOF type player? I honestly have no idea.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Who was the last highly draft TE to be Super awesome HOF type player? I honestly have no idea.
Some say if Pitts wanted to list himself as a WR, he might very well bw the top atthat position as well.
He's just different

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
IF we pass on Pitts, get ready to see him twice a year coz no way in hell he's getting passing the Giants @11.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
If unable to trade back, I'd go with S Moehrig. The class is short on safeties, long on corners. Just don't believe he'll be available at 44.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No to BPA, it's the the player that gives you value and best improves your team. I't's the improvement over replacement that counts. One of the only positions we actually have a playable back-up is TE.

Is Brown/Pitts a better talent combination than Surtain/Jarwin.

There will always be shiny Offensive draft picks available.....we've got a massively expensive Offense, if it cant score with what we've got we may as well just give in.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Cool, so you ask when BPA has last worked, I show you a very recent example, and then you excuse yourself.

Figures.

Excuse myself? What does that mean?

So you're saying that drafting Lamb worked? As an example of bpa working?

Just to clarify...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You cant get me to agree to your very bad analogy.
You cant help me.

Who said I needed you to agree? You asked me to explain, which I did with an analogy. Most everything we post here is opinion, we're all free to accept or reject it.

But since you didn't like my analogy, I will say it another way:

The offense was much better than the defense, I do not think you pile more and more resources on one side of the ball (offense) when the other side of the ball (defense) was so bad.
Doesn't have to be a 50-50 split, but last year was more like 80-20 offense vs defense....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yep, we know who would have very likley been the pick if we went for need. We got the much better player which will pay dividends down the road.

Like I said, Cowboys picked Lamb and went 6-10, 1-3 with Dak at the helm.

I agree down the road he will pay dividends, but the defense needs way more help than one player, if they go with Pitts or some other offensive player that just pushes helping the defense farther down the road, while you're "padding" an offense which already has a good bit of talent on the skill positions.

We understand each other I think, can you just imagine the conversations if we were both on the Cowboys staff come draft day?

:thumbup:

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Tony Gonzalez was taken 13th overall in 1997 by KC.. he did alright..
Vernon Davis was taken 6th overall by the 49ers in 2006 .. he also had a nice career.. Not as good as Gonzalez but 583 catches for 7562 yards and 63 TDs aint a bad career. That's 11 fewer TDs on SIX HUNDRED fewer receptions than Witten.

Tights ends, like most positions, maybe more, need a good team around them to succeed. If one is drafted highly he's likely going to a bad team and it's not a position that can easily turn a team around. So they end up sucking on a team that sucks.. Meanwhile tight ends drafted later onto good teams like Jimmy Graham, Gronk et al have great careers because they go to good teams with good QBs and other good weapons ..

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Like I said, Cowboys picked Lamb and went 6-10, 1-3 with Dak at the helm.

I agree down the road he will pay dividends, but the defense needs way more help than one player, if they go with Pitts or some other offensive player that just pushes helping the defense farther down the road, while you're "padding" an offense which already has a good bit of talent on the skill positions.

We understand each other I think, can you just imagine the conversations if we were both on the Cowboys staff come draft day?

:thumbup:

There was no defensive player I can think of that would have put us at better than 6-10. Chassion definitely wouldn’t have, and I bet he would have been the pick.

kskboys

Reaction score
Pitts and Surtain are rated almost the same, w/ Pitts being an edge higher. Very slightly. Not anywhere near enough to warrant taking him over Surtain.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There was no defensive player I can think of that would have put us at better than 6-10. Chassion definitely wouldn’t have, and I bet he would have been the pick.

Though as you said about Lamb paying dividends down the road, same could be said about Chaisson, or another defensive player...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So 1997 how many 1st round TE flames out in the last 10 years? If it was an extreme need I'd say go with pitts. If there are equally talented positions of need I'd go defense.

I agree with you on the equally talented point.. However there is serious question as to what defensive players could be considered to be "equally talented" as Pitts. The kid is literally a 6'6" 250 pound athlete with 4.4 speed. Them kinda guys don't grow on trees. When comparing him to other highly drafted TEs of recent years you have to look at what they each did in college for accurate comps..

Evan Engram - 162 rec 2320 yards and 15 TD in four seasons (41 games) at Ole Miss
Tyler Eifert - 140 rec 1840 yards and 11 TDs in three seasons (37 games) at Notre Dame
Zach Ertz - 112 rec 1434 yards and 15 TD in three seasons (37 games) at Stanford
OJ Howard - 114 rec 1726 rec for 7 TD in four seasons (46 games) at Bama

Now Pitts..

Kyle Pitts - 100 rec 1492 yards nd 18 TDs in 25 games at Florida. Only played 3 games soph year .. I think the coaches were holding him out in hopes of getting a redshirt year out of him but I think injuries (and talent) eventually got him on the field. Then Covid cost him like 3 games in 2020. He scored 12 TDs in 8 games ....

So in a career shortened by the whole Covid thing this kid scored TDs at double the rate any of those guys did.. and averaged a ton more yards per game. In short.. he is/was much more of a weapon in college than any of those guys. Those guys looked good in the uniform.. this kid can play. He's a rare talent.. extremely rare.. If he's there and we pass on him the defensive player we get instead better be an all pro. That's all um sayin..

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with you on the equally talented point.. However there is serious question as to what defensive players could be considered to be "equally talented" as Pitts. The kid is literally a 6'6" 250 pound athlete with 4.4 speed. Them kinda guys don't grow on trees. When comparing him to other highly drafted TEs of recent years you have to look at what they each did in college for accurate comps..

Evan Engram - 162 rec 2320 yards and 15 TD in four seasons (41 games) at Ole Miss
Tyler Eifert - 140 rec 1840 yards and 11 TDs in three seasons (37 games) at Notre Dame
Zach Ertz - 112 rec 1434 yards and 15 TD in three seasons (37 games) at Stanford
OJ Howard - 114 rec 1726 rec for 7 TD in four seasons (46 games) at Bama

Now Pitts..

Kyle Pitts - 100 rec 1492 yards nd 18 TDs in 25 games at Florida. Only played 3 games soph year .. I think the coaches were holding him out in hopes of getting a redshirt year out of him but I think injuries (and talent) eventually got him on the field. Then Covid cost him like 3 games in 2020. He scored 12 TDs in 8 games ....

So in a career shortened by the whole Covid thing this kid scored TDs at double the rate any of those guys did.. and averaged a ton more yards per game. In short.. he is/was much more of a weapon in college than any of those guys. Those guys looked good in the uniform.. this kid can play. He's a rare talent.. extremely rare.. If he's there and we pass on him the defensive player we get instead better be an all pro. That's all um sayin..
Pitts does have injury red flags. Nothing definite, but to be considered.

College production is not a good way to assess prospects.