*** Your thoughts on the CowboysZone Upgrade so far? ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zordon

Reaction score
As it turns out, it was easier than I expected :D
Nice, @Risen Star can breathe a sigh of relief.

Originally I was going to limit the width of the page, but some people like to use their montior width when reading so I made it full width like before. I can see about adding in some spacing for large width screens, but not sure it will be close to what you may be referring to.
Most newer websites don't go over 80-100 characters in width. There's been UX studies on how going any wider hinders the user experience. Example, the second paragraph below is much more readable than the first.

---

Originally I was going to limit the width of the page, but some people like to use their montior width when reading so I made it full width like before. I can see about adding in some spacing for large width screens, but not sure it will be close to what you may be referring to.

Originally I was going to limit the width of the page, but some people like to use their montior width when reading so I made it full width like before. I can see
about adding in some spacing for large width screens, but not sure it will be close to what you may be referring to.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Most newer websites don't go over 80-100 characters in width. There's been UX studies on how going any wider hinders the user experience. Example, the second paragraph below is much more readable than the first.

---

Originally I was going to limit the width of the page, but some people like to use their montior width when reading so I made it full width like before. I can see
about adding in some spacing for large width screens, but not sure it will be close to what you may be referring to.
I am quite familiar with suggested UX patterns, but most of those are designed and meant for articles, not discussions.

With discussions, a lot of people have different screen widths and prefer the longer text and there's a simple fix for those who do not which is to not maximise your browser to full screen/width.

With the current format, everyone can make it look like they want, but if I were to limit text width then it would be forced on those who do not want it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Under our profile photos on the left side of our posts, it would be nice to get some details added like "likes", where a user is from, etc. It will make things more personable IMO.
There's certainly plenty of room for tons of personal information on the row containing the commenter's gif, but as long as we're talking about the desktop version, I would prefer to avoid visual clutter and keep more detailed information on the user in a hover tooltip.
For unified mobile/desktop behavior it could be a popup.

Just looking at comment design, I would combine the 4 row/sections of actions/meta information into one. So much vertical space is being consumed.

As a much bigger change, forum interfaces have *regressed* since the 90s and the RN reader for Usenet. A top section with a list of comments shown in threaded or time order, then a section below showing one selected comment at a time. Vertical scrolling between comments is for the birds.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I believe that is a new system where you can bookmark posts for later reference.
Nice touch! Tried the "Bookmark" and it's a useful item. If you click on your name (right next to Conversation icon) it will pull up an option for "Bookmarks" and show any bookmarks you have saved. I like it! :thumbup:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

---

I use the full width of the screen.
I do my social media in a TV media mode.

The screen zoom I use makes my characters per line about 85.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I use the full width of the screen.
I do my social media in a TV media mode.

The screen zoom I use makes my characters per line about 85.
I did not think of that, but you are right. You can simply increase the zoom level and it will yield the number of characters per row that you want depending on the zoom level.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I did not think of that, but you are right. You can simply increase the zoom level and it will yield the number of characters per row that you want depending on the zoom level.
Yeah, I think that's what I do generally on a desktop monitor for social media.
TV media mode I'm using both the windows display zoom and the browser zoom.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Personally, I already know how to navigate it, it’s much easier. In my opinion, all the responses are in one place including likes. I don’t have to go to different places. Plus, I like the lightning bolt, takes me right where I want to be instantly.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Is there going to be a chat like the old forum had at some point?

Status
Not open for further replies.