You're Mike McCarthy How do address this team?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's not what he said, he said he couldn't go at 100% energy level every play. He did a poor job of saying what he meant but that's the reason Elliott takes himself out, he knows when he's not at his 100% level.
Sounds exactly the way I interpreted it. Cut him to send a message. Not like he's very good anyway.

Plankton

Reaction score
I'd line them up on the goal line and have them run gassers. Don't stop until they are puking. When they get to that point, make them watch the crap fest from Monday, and highlight the garbage. Point out every player bust and every mental mistake. After that is done, open the floor to the complainers. Call them out, and make them face their team. When they don't step up, tell them that the same thing will happen again the next day at practice until the gutless wonders step up and admit their complaints.

After that, a number of guys get positions holding their helmets and clipboards for the next game.

75boyz

Reaction score
"Your Fired, Your Fired, You..... You guy who disappears, number 90, you are fired. Clean out your lockers......"

This is a rubber meats the road type of thing. Does he really have control over team or doesn't he?

As simple as Who is really in control...

Jimmy and Bill were if not for only brief periods.

All others after Bill, not so much.

The current wannabe perceived as something he isn't disciplinarian?

Not.

Either Remove Jerry/Steven and get a coach with real balls or just keep fooling the masses with this constant attrition of failed yes men.

One or the other.
Hint: McCarthy ain't the right choice EVEN without the Jones meddling

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
As simple as Who is really in control...

Jimmy and Bill were if not for only brief periods.

All others after Bill, not so much.

The current wannabe perceived as something he isn't disciplinarian?

Not.

Either Remove Jerry/Steven and get a coach with real balls or just keep fooling the masses with this constant attrition of failed yes men.

One or the other.
Hint: McCarthy ain't the right choice EVEN without the Jones meddling

I agree. I never liked him and didn't think he would be the right guy here but more to the point, this is systemic in that it's more then just that. No truly good Coach is going to come here until they actually have full control of the team and that's just not gonna happen so long as the current operation is in place IMO.

75boyz

Reaction score
I agree. I never liked him and didn't think he would be the right guy here but more to the point, this is systemic in that it's more then just that. No truly good Coach is going to come here until they actually have full control of the team and that's just not gonna happen so long as the current operation is in place IMO.

No disagreement here.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds exactly the way I interpreted it. Cut him to send a message. Not like he's very good anyway.
If he's looking for an example, not a bad one.

Regardless of how it is interpreted, it should have never been said and leaves open to interpretation how much 100% is and if that is expected. One thing for sure about this team, 100% tackling effort is not the norm and the best D system ever run would fail without that.

Coach, I do think you would appreciate this more than most here but in the NFL with depth in short supply and so few dressed on game day, the cries to "bench him or cut him" do not take that into account. They have to take the team into account before the individual and how they address that. They're not in the position of high school or college coaches where lessons are taught, NFL coaches are there for only one reason.

That said, if I was McC I might use what Woods gave me and cut him and announce he is 100% no longer on the team.

The only problem with that is does McC have the power to do that? Do these players look at the coaches as the necessary evil and they play for the Joneses?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he's looking for an example, not a bad one.

Regardless of how it is interpreted, it should have never been said and leaves open to interpretation how much 100% is and if that is expected. One thing for sure about this team, 100% tackling effort is not the norm and the best D system ever run would fail without that.

Coach, I do think you would appreciate this more than most here but in the NFL with depth in short supply and so few dressed on game day, the cries to "bench him or cut him" do not take that into account. They have to take the team into account before the individual and how they address that. They're not in the position of high school or college coaches where lessons are taught, NFL coaches are there for only one reason.

That said, if I was McC I might use what Woods gave me and cut him and announce he is 100% no longer on the team.

The only problem with that is does McC have the power to do that? Do these players look at the coaches as the necessary evil and they play for the Joneses?
If the Joneses are running this team, I would figure a coach like MM wouldn't have taken the job. Any coach worth their salt wouldn't work like that. I'd cut him or at least bench him. You can't go and say stuff like that in public with no repercussions. Maybe he misspoke, but if he did, he should have retracted that statement.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
If I'm MM, I just go straight to the field. They are neither disciplined enough to care or talented enough to do anything with the motivation, so what's the point? Jerry already gave everyone on this team a pass, anyway.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Joneses are running this team, I would figure a coach like MM wouldn't have taken the job. Any coach worth their salt wouldn't work like that. I'd cut him or at least bench him. You can't go and say stuff like that in public with no repercussions. Maybe he misspoke, but if he did, he should have retracted that statement.
A man can put up with a lot for a 25M contract.

He sold himself to Booger in 12 hours, Booger didn't even know him, he asked Garrett about him. If we don't think that 12 hours was spent making sure Booger would be "comfortable", as he was with Garrett, the search would not have ended so abruptly and the other pending interviews cancelled.

Most of the time, there are two jobs. The one he thinks he is interviewing for and the one it ends up being after the honeymoon is over. All Booger was listening for was is this guy coming between me and the team and the camera and mic. And by the looks of things, Booger is still HMFIC.

MMObserver

Reaction score
If the Joneses are running this team, I would figure a coach like MM wouldn't have taken the job.

Gotta disagree here.

A coach like Big Mac is precisely the type of coach to take a job in a situation where he knows the Jones' are really running the Cowboys' team.

The Packers fired Big Mac in early December of 2018, so teams had an excellent opportunity to vet him for 1 of the 7 head coach openings that existed after that season came to an end.

How many job offers did Big Mac receive after the 2018 season? ZERO, NONE, NADA.

Towards the end of 2019 (and remember he was still being paid by GB in 2019) Big Mac and his astute agent began utilizing their media contacts to push the narrative that Big Mac was a changed man - refreshed, newly flexible in his thinking, and a true convert to analytics.

How many job offers did Big Mac get after this media push ...?

Anyway, Big Mac is the ultimate Company Man and he will remain as loyal to those who cut his checks as any well bred lap dog is to its owner who provides food and shelter.

If Jerry is telling him to just take it in the shorts, Big Mac will undoubtedly and enthusiastically respond "Yes sir" with a smile on his face ... just like when Jerry told him who his OC would be.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gotta disagree here.

A coach like Big Mac is precisely the type of coach to take a job in a situation where he knows the Jones' are really running the Cowboys' team.

The Packers fired Big Mac in early December of 2018, so teams had an excellent opportunity to vet him for 1 of the 7 head coach openings that existed after that season came to an end.

How many job offers did Big Mac receive after the 2018 season? ZERO, NONE, NADA.

Towards the end of 2019 (and remember he was still being paid by GB in 2019) Big Mac and his astute agent began utilizing their media contacts to push the narrative that Big Mac was a changed man - refreshed, newly flexible in his thinking, and a true convert to analytics.

How many job offers did Big Mac get after this media push ...?

Anyway, Big Mac is the ultimate Company Man and he will remain as loyal to those who cut his checks as any well bred lap dog is to its owner who provides food and shelter.

If Jerry is telling him to just take it in the shorts, Big Mac will undoubtedly and enthusiastically respond "Yes sir" with a smile on his face ... just like when Jerry told him who his OC would be.
If you're right, MM sucks!!!!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A man can put up with a lot for a 25M contract.

He sold himself to Booger in 12 hours, Booger didn't even know him, he asked Garrett about him. If we don't think that 12 hours was spent making sure Booger would be "comfortable", as he was with Garrett, the search would not have ended so abruptly and the other pending interviews cancelled.

Most of the time, there are two jobs. The one he thinks he is interviewing for and the one it ends up being after the honeymoon is over. All Booger was listening for was is this guy coming between me and the team and the camera and mic. And by the looks of things, Booger is still HMFIC.
I don't believe so. A MAN doesn't do that! A true HC doesn't do that. He could have gotten other jobs and the fact that he put together his own staff, tells me different.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you're right, MM sucks!!!!
No, it's just a job. He was up for the NYG gig but that's a steeper climb from where they are.

I think he came in eyes wide open because the Joneses are not changing their MO for any coach. He inherited what he thought was a solid O to work with but had no idea how the wheels were coming off on the season and the team. He never even considered he'd get shot in the back by a player to the media.

Hell, Urban Meyer openly threw his name in the hopper and he's got the rep of not getting along with management at FL and OSU.

I used to laugh at our "no self respecting HC would take this job" and now we've got one for the GM job, that's not open. There are plenty of men that would take either job.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Its time to give your Sunday pregame speech before we hit the filed for the Washing game. Anonymous hasn't come forward. What do you say to this team? Me:

Okay guys, Let's get some things out of the way.
Anybody don't know their assignments, raise your hand.

Raise your hand if you're not prepared to play.

Anybody feel like they didn't get enough coaching this week?

By the lack of hands, I'd say we all know our assignments, we're all prepared, and we feel adequately coached. And just so we're clear, I'm not going to pick up a paper and see some Anonymous a$$bag making some chickensh!* comment about not being prepared, not being given assignments, and not be coached.

For those of you who slept through meetings and are just joining the program we're playing the 1-5 Washington Football Team.
Go out and play. Give it your all. If I see your not then I will pull you. I don’t care who you are. We practiced all week as much as the sissy CBA would allow. Your pro players. I can’t hold your hand. If you give it your all and lose we can except it and learn from it and move on. But don’t lay down like a sick dog. Now let’s get out there and win a game for me so I don’t lose my job..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't believe so. A MAN doesn't do that! A true HC doesn't do that. He could have gotten other jobs and the fact that he put together his own staff, tells me different.
He got a leash that was a little looser because of his rep and track record. As far as hiring coaches, the Joneses aren't well schooled in coaches and they've never been good at that. Part of hiring a guy that's done it for 13 years is that you'd assume he'd know about coaches more than the GM. I don't know of any of the GM's that hire the coaches under the HC. Booger forced them on Gailey and Campo because he doesn't like paying coaches not to work.

LOL at a MAN doesn't do that. I don't know a true HC from a false one but I know real money talks to most men.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys roster will see 30% or more turnover after this season. 2020 has devolved into an evaluation year and a lot of guys on the roster are not the types you want to go to battle with. Some players will not be moveable, stuck in place due to big contracts, but I think the criticism beyond the performance of those guys is unwarranted.

DLaw, J. Smith, Cooper and Zeke; I don't feel these guys are the core issue with the Cowboys. They have won with those guys and can do so again. These guys are not looking to be leaders. They have been following Dak's lead for 4 years and are comfortable in that role. Dak will be back, he will be overpaid and he is the best thing for the Cowboys. The team needs that dude and if you are honest with your assessment, you can only come to the conclusion the Cowboys are better with him.

Those Vets on D they brought in are dog doo and I think they are stirring the pot on a team that really has no seasoned leaders with Dak out of the building. A good number of those players in the secondary are probably grading themselves a lot higher than deserved and you know what they say about strength in numbers. Put those two factions together on a unit that flat out sux and is bringing the team down and there you have the root of your problem. Remember, a lot of those guys were counting on this year to get another deal. They need to blame someone for their suckage.

Big focus on the D next year, including the DC. No way they bring Nolan back.

Last edited:

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
- Take the “C” off of every jersey...no one has earned.
- Start benching players for bad play/effort, regardless of their “status” or Salary.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He got a leash that was a little looser because of his rep and track record. As far as hiring coaches, the Joneses aren't well schooled in coaches and they've never been good at that. Part of hiring a guy that's done it for 13 years is that you'd assume he'd know about coaches more than the GM. I don't know of any of the GM's that hire the coaches under the HC. Booger forced them on Gailey and Campo because he doesn't like paying coaches not to work.

LOL at a MAN doesn't do that. I don't know a true HC from a false one but I know real money talks to most men.
Most! That's why we've sucked for 25 years.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Its time to give your Sunday pregame speech before we hit the filed for the Washing game. Anonymous hasn't come forward. What do you say to this team? Me:

Okay guys, Let's get some things out of the way.
Anybody don't know their assignments, raise your hand.

Raise your hand if you're not prepared to play.

Anybody feel like they didn't get enough coaching this week?

By the lack of hands, I'd say we all know our assignments, we're all prepared, and we feel adequately coached. And just so we're clear, I'm not going to pick up a paper and see some Anonymous a$$bag making some chickensh!* comment about not being prepared, not being given assignments, and not be coached.

For those of you who slept through meetings and are just joining the program we're playing the 1-5 Washington Football Team.
Start cutting the dead weight. He knows who they are. If they ain't motivated to give 100% now, I don't want them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's your opinion. I have mine. I walked away from one of the highest paying jobs in the state of Texas and took a 30k pay cut, because I was gonna do it my way. It's not millions, but it's all relative. I have zero respect for a coach that puts money in front of his plan, unless he's a rookie or just can't find another job. MM could have had another job if he wanted.
You are correct, we have differing opinions on this and I respect yours as that worked for you.