Youtube Scouting: Timmy Jernigan

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/timmy-jernigan-vs-clemson-2013/

vs Clemson: First thing that stands out is how well he uses his hands. If you only block him with a single guy its nigh impossible to keep your hands on him. When he wants to shed you, you are shed. That is as much reason for the double and triple teams he saw as anyone else. Would like to see better effort when asked to two gap. Was very slow off the snap early especially when asked to two gap.

vs. Nevada: was not all the games snaps so not sure what to make of that. Physically dominant. One on one, the interior line could not handle him. He either popped them with both hands and stood them up and drove or would get on a shoulder and go for a ride when matched up solo. Would like to see him finish them with a rip move when hes got them turned on their shoulder like that. He would have ragdolled him. Nevada ran double and triple teams at him early and often. Sometimes they worked but only when they dedicated an OG/C or OG/T tackle combination that did not peel. If they peeled he would shed them, if they tried to hit him in succession he would withstand it and shed them. Would like to see a better job of him sinking his knee and holding his ground on those combinations though. He was pushed straight back a couple of times.

vs. Auburn: Again physically dominant. Turned it up in the second half with the game on the line. He was in the Tiger's head as the QB got spooked by a hardcharging Jernigan on screen plays but that was after he had been madhandling those guards and the center. The best they got single blocking was making him take a step back and a one yard gain. He would either shed them and make the tackle or ride them into the backfield. You could tell from the OL body language that they were worried about him. Still could do a better job staying low and sinking in when he recognizes the double team. Seems to be a constant refrain. I will say that he is an intelligent player and appears to look at film. He knows what teams are trying to do to him and he reacts. In the first half the Tigers would shift the line left and right a step and zone block and he consistently recognized and used pretty good quickness to crash his gap.

vs NC State: This was a laugher with a demoralized OL that by the second half had forsaken technique primarily because of an awful QB constantly throwing into coverage. I find it hard to take away much from this game. Jernigan again required a double team. Shot a gap for a TFL etc but its hard to gauge performance when the opposition isn't emulating a modern offense.

vs. Florida: This was an odd game. It was kind of like watching the 2012 Cowboys offense where they would string together several plays, look competent and then make an insurmountable error. Jernigan often likes to read/react off the snap and this time it bit him in the *** as they ran a sprint right at him from the look. 40+ yards later the play was over. By the second half this game was out of reach and I didn't see anything new worth commenting on. Same hands, power, decent quickness, good awareness. His awareness reminds me of Sheldon Richardson. I liked Richardsons hustle in backside pursuit better but I am not going to expect Jernigan to be able to chase plays 20+ yards away from him.

vs Boston College: At this point I am seeing consistency. You are going to get game in and game out performance from this guy and that is important. I have read guys like Rang say that he doesn't like his effort but that is not necessarily what I see. I see a guy reading and reacting and not attacking which makes him tenative on certain snaps. I think our style of defense will break that as he will be taken to task for peeking before rushing.

bodi

Reaction score
I think he does also - get a bad rap

I don't think we could go wrong picking him first

WhizKid

Reaction score
I agree with you. Watching games, he def can shed a blocker with ease. He's a beast in the run game.
He can rush the passer and pressure him. He does that with a little more finesse than being straight physical. But that is not to say he can't just over power and shoot through to the QB.
I think he is someone who can defend the run better than he can rush the pass, but his ability to do so just needs a little more tapping into and would probably do so if he was assigned to do it. He is good all-around DT and I would be happy to have him play for the Cowboys.

tm1119

Reaction score
Good analysis. I don't understand how people call Jernigan a lazy player. The guy plays sideline to sideline and is often 10 yards down the field trying to make a play. I think he could play either the 3 or 1 for us. He will be a good, not great, pass rusher and should excel and be a standout vs the run. I know its a dirty word nowadays but he reminds me a little of Ratliff

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Sounds like a great 1-Tech, and I'd be down with taking him. I just think we'd be ignoring both history and what the team has expressly said, in thinking they are interested in spending a 1st on a 1-Tech.

He doesn't seem like a get to the QB guy, more of a control the line and move the pocket guy. I think there's a role for that sort of player on this team (I've been begging to get more guys like that on the roster), just not sure the team thinks that's worth investing a lot in.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

vs Clemson: First thing that stands out is how well he uses his hands. If you only block him with a single guy its nigh impossible to keep your hands on him. When he wants to shed you, you are shed. That is as much reason for the double and triple teams he saw as anyone else. Would like to see better effort when asked to two gap. Was very slow off the snap early especially when asked to two gap.

vs. Nevada: was not all the games snaps so not sure what to make of that. Physically dominant. One on one, the interior line could not handle him. He either popped them with both hands and stood them up and drove or would get on a shoulder and go for a ride when matched up solo. Would like to see him finish them with a rip move when hes got them turned on their shoulder like that. He would have ragdolled him. Nevada ran double and triple teams at him early and often. Sometimes they worked but only when they dedicated an OG/C or OG/T tackle combination that did not peel. If they peeled he would shed them, if they tried to hit him in succession he would withstand it and shed them. Would like to see a better job of him sinking his knee and holding his ground on those combinations though. He was pushed straight back a couple of times.

vs. Auburn: Again physically dominant. Turned it up in the second half with the game on the line. He was in the Tiger's head as the QB got spooked by a hardcharging Jernigan on screen plays but that was after he had been madhandling those guards and the center. The best they got single blocking was making him take a step back and a one yard gain. He would either shed them and make the tackle or ride them into the backfield. You could tell from the OL body language that they were worried about him. Still could do a better job staying low and sinking in when he recognizes the double team. Seems to be a constant refrain. I will say that he is an intelligent player and appears to look at film. He knows what teams are trying to do to him and he reacts. In the first half the Tigers would shift the line left and right a step and zone block and he consistently recognized and used pretty good quickness to crash his gap.

vs NC State: This was a laugher with a demoralized OL that by the second half had forsaken technique primarily because of an awful QB constantly throwing into coverage. I find it hard to take away much from this game. Jernigan again required a double team. Shot a gap for a TFL etc but its hard to gauge performance when the opposition isn't emulating a modern offense.

vs. Florida: This was an odd game. It was kind of like watching the 2012 Cowboys offense where they would string together several plays, look competent and then make an insurmountable error. Jernigan often likes to read/react off the snap and this time it bit him in the *** as they ran a sprint right at him from the look. 40+ yards later the play was over. By the second half this game was out of reach and I didn't see anything new worth commenting on. Same hands, power, decent quickness, good awareness. His awareness reminds me of Sheldon Richardson. I liked Richardsons hustle in backside pursuit better but I am not going to expect Jernigan to be able to chase plays 20+ yards away from him.

vs Boston College: At this point I am seeing consistency. You are going to get game in and game out performance from this guy and that is important. I have read guys like Rang say that he doesn't like his effort but that is not necessarily what I see. I see a guy reading and reacting and not attacking which makes him tenative on certain snaps. I think our style of defense will break that as he will be taken to task for peeking before rushing.

Good stuff, as usual Fuzzy.

I like Jernigan, I really do... it's just that for what this team values in a DT, he suffers in comparison to Donald... but then so does everyone else.

I would be fine with Jernigan next to Melton and I think he could be really good for Dallas.

Also, what I put in bold that you said is a very astute observation. How they played him isn't how Marinelli would play him and that changes things a lot. He will be playing the run on the way to the QB and his reaction time and how active he looks will change a lot.

reddyuta

Reaction score
isnt he similar to Floyd and didnt Marinelli vehemently veto Floyd in the first rd?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
isnt he similar to Floyd and didnt Marinelli vehemently veto Floyd in the first rd?

I don't really see him as that similar to Floyd, although I have read that a lot here. If Dallas had both Jernigan and Floyd, I think Floyd would be the 1-tech and Jernigan the 3-tech. Jernigan is pretty active but still has good strength.

IMO he wouldn't be a perfect 3-tech like Donald, but he would have better anchor than him and better movement than Floyd. You could say Jernigan is somewhere in between Donald and Floyd.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
He is a good player but not at 16. To slow off the snap and no great pass rush moves. He does a good job as a 1 tech by setting his hips to anchor and has quick hands.

Struggles to get around blocks and into gaps which marinelli likes. He wants his DL to fire off the ball and get in the gaps. Jernigan is slow and stands up on the line and reads then reacts to the play.

I just don't see Marinelli being as high as others are. Much like last year with Floyd.

tm1119

Reaction score
He is a good player but not at 16. To slow off the snap and no great pass rush moves. He does a good job as a 1 tech by setting his hips to anchor and has quick hands.

Struggles to get around blocks and into gaps which marinelli likes. He wants his DL to fire off the ball and get in the gaps. Jernigan is slow and stands up on the line and reads then reacts to the play.

I just don't see Marinelli being as high as others are. Much like last year with Floyd.

How do you know Jernigan can't fire off of the ball? He's plenty athletic. It was apart of Fl St game plan for him to read and react, doesn't mean that hes incapable

supercowboy8

Reaction score
How do you know Jernigan can't fire off of the ball? He's plenty athletic. It was apart of Fl St game plan for him to read and react, doesn't mean that hes incapable

All I can do is go off what I see in games. He has never shown anything from what seen that he can.

supercowboy8

Reaction score

I just don't think you draft a guy 1st round hoping he can be the player you want with out any game film showing he can do it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Floyd is a better physical specimen but when I watched him he would remind me of a little kid playing football. He would hit people heads up bounce off sometimes find a gap after the collision seeming on accident. He would go but there was nothing to his game. No awareness of anything around him. Teams really didn't try to do anything to him but he seemed oblivious to what was around him. He would lock up with a guard and just kind of sit there. No idea how to get off that block.

The guy Floyd reminds me of most is Easley with that pinball effect to his game. Easley would actually use his hands and pursue after he caromed off though.

Jernigan might very well not be quick enough for what Marinelli wants. He does force double teams though. I think you can sic Jernigan on most centers in the NFL and force the guards to help out. Teams in all the games I watched sent two or three people at him to get him out of the way on around 75% of running plays. They'd trap him with two guys or hit him with the center guard and fullback like Nevada.

Jernigan makes Sean Lee and and the rest of the LBers better. If he can bully NFL centers then he will help the pass rush.

I think they didn't want to draft Floyd because Floyd wasn't very good.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I just don't think you draft a guy 1st round hoping he can be the player you want with out any game film showing he can do it.

I saw him do it. He didn't always do the read and react thing. At the end of games when they were up by 3 scores he stopped looking for where the double team was coming from. He can attack the shoulder of the center and get him moving back. His bull rush rocked people up and back in each game that I watched.

He is just about perfect for that cocked nose 1 technique that you see in the Kiffin playbooks. Have him attack the centers right shoulder and see if they can block him. He was asked to do some of that. I have seen him do it and beat up some guys. Think Vince Wilfork throwing Phil Costa around.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good analysis. I think the thing that throws people off about Jernigan is the read-and-react style. I've said that he is sometimes so late off the snaps that it has to be intentional.

TheFinisher

Reaction score

He wasn't an up the field DT in FSU's defense, it was his JOB to play that read/react style.

Those that say he lacks explosion by pointing to how he "reads and reacts instead of gets upfield" don't understand the concept of the position he played.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He wasn't an up the field DT in FSU's defense, it was his JOB to play that read/react style.

Those that say he lacks explosion by pointing to how he "reads and reacts instead of gets upfield" don't understand the concept of the position he played.

Yes, he is the type of player that is more difficult to evaluate for scouts because they have to project him playing in a different style of defense.

I think one reason that fans are gaga over Donald is that it's very easy to evaluate what he does and how it directly translates to the NFL.

TheFinisher

Reaction score

All I can do is go off what I see in games. He has never shown anything from what seen that he can.

Its fine to dislike players, but your argument against him is false because there is plenty of film that shows how disruptive Jernigan was when he was allowed to get upfield