Youtube Scouting: Timmy Jernigan

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Yes, he is the type of player that is more difficult to evaluate for scouts because they have to project him playing in a different style of defense.

I think one reason that fans are gaga over Donald is that it's very easy to evaluate what he does and how it directly translates to the NFL.

He's shown the ability on film to be a penetrator, it just doesn't come with the same volume as Donald because all Donald did at Pitt was be asked to fly upfield. Elite hand usage, power and technique as well as being the rock of the defense simply isn't sexy enough for some fans, but NFL scouts and coaches will love everything he brings to the table. Marinelli probably drools over the way Jernigan consistently manhandles blockers.

supercowboy8

Reaction score

Its fine to dislike players, but your argument against him is false because there is plenty of film that shows how disruptive Jernigan was when he was allowed to get upfield

When did I say I dislike him. I think he a good 1 tech just doesn't fit the scheme. That's all I said and I don't think dallas will take him at 16.

Yes Jernigan gets in the back field but it's after he stands at the line and reads the play and qb has no where to go. Jernigan hardly ever shoots the gap and sacks the qb and cause disruption within 3 seconds.

Never once said I dislike the player just don't think Marinelli sees him as a 1st round pick at 16.thats all I said.

Tobal

Reaction score
He got the bad rap in the championship game of being out of shape, which was dumb, sometimes you get gassed. Everyone does, especially considering they hadn,t played in a couple of months

tm1119

Reaction score
He got the bad rap in the championship game of being out of shape, which was dumb, sometimes you get gassed. Everyone does, especially considering they hadn,t played in a couple of months

He was actually dealing with the flu during that game.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like him and think he could help our defense.

However the Cowboys view him as a one tech and they have said they dont view a one tech as a first round guy in the defense. Don't know if that would apply if they traded down towards the bottom of round one.

Listen to the last draft show video on the Cowboys site and Broaddus makes it clear that the Cowboys see him as a one tech. He says it in a way that says it is not his opinion and not his gut feeling. With the way he says it I would say he has asked and has been told.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I like him and think he could help our defense.

However the Cowboys view him as a one tech and they have said they dont view a one tech as a first round guy in the defense. Don't know if that would apply if they traded down towards the bottom of round one.

Listen to the last draft show video on the Cowboys site and Broaddus makes it clear that the Cowboys see him as a one tech. He says it in a way that says it is not his opinion and not his gut feeling. With the way he says it I would say he has asked and has been told.

Broaddus keeps saying what you are saying but I believe that it has more to do with Floyd then it does to how they value positions. I accept that NT, OG, TE and S are a tier below OT, rusher, QB, WR, and CB but we were fully prepared to draft an OG. The difference was that Cooper and Warmack actually could play the position. You could not tell me Floyd showed even half the position skillset that those two did.

They had to project Floyd and Marinelli didn't sign off but I don't think it's so cut and dry as to say no NT. I think it is more along the lines of they are not going to pay a premium pick on a projection of a second tier position. I find it hard to believe that they would not recognize the benefit that a NT drawing double teams. It would elevate Lee and Carter's games significantly if he could occupy two blockers.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broaddus keeps saying what you are saying but I believe that it has more to do with Floyd then it does to how they value positions. I accept that NT, OG, TE and S are a tier below OT, rusher, QB, WR, and CB but we were fully prepared to draft an OG. The difference was that Cooper and Warmack actually could play the position. You could not tell me Floyd showed even half the position skillset that those two did.

They had to project Floyd and Marinelli didn't sign off but I don't think it's so cut and dry as to say no NT. I think it is more along the lines of they are not going to pay a premium pick on a projection of a second tier position. I find it hard to believe that they would not recognize the benefit that a NT drawing double teams. It would elevate Lee and Carter's games significantly if he could occupy two blockers.

You can believe what you want. It could be a smokescreen but I seriously doubt it. Which is a shame because I think he would be a starter and help this team.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
It really comes down to priorities. Marinelli knows that he will only get so many opportunities to take a DL in the first round. So when he has that opportunity, he's going to use it on either a 3 technique or a pass rushing DE. He can find the other pieces for the DL later in the draft. So if the Cowboys don't view Jernigan as a 3 technique, they aren't taking him in the first round.

Tobal

Reaction score
I really like the player and I hope Dallas comes around on him, because he could be the most impactful guy there when we pick. I mean who thought they'd take a center in the 1st so there is hope they've figured out you need really good lines.

dbonham

Reaction score
he would be a good consolation prize at 16. I don't believe that they wouldn't draft a 1 tech in the 1st, would we pass on Poe in this scheme? Lotulelei? Not a chance.

Imo we cannot wait till round 6 to get a 1 tech. If we don't have someone to draw double teams this defense is sunk. Melton needs to be one on one, and the LBs need to be uncovered. The question is, once Jernigan is double teamed, what will he do that separates him from another double teamed 1 tech? His skill and our scheme demands he be double teamed, so it matters less what he can do one on one. If he can consistently split the double team and mess up the pocket at the next level then IMO he's worth a first, but if he just holds his ground and keeps the guard occupied his role can be filled by a 3rd rounder.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You can believe what you want. It could be a smokescreen but I seriously doubt it. Which is a shame because I think he would be a starter and help this team.

If a clone of Dontari Poe was available at #16 and didn't have any mental makeup questions, then I'm fairly certain that they would take him as a 1-tech.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If a clone of Dontari Poe was available at #16 and didn't have any mental makeup questions, then I'm fairly certain that they would take him as a 1-tech.

Poe projects to the 3 as well as the 1. He is big but his athleticism is tremendous. It's an interesting discussion.

waving monkey

Reaction score
dont see the Floyd comparisons at all. Jerrigan is first step faster when asked to to

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Poe projects to the 3 as well as the 1. He is big but his athleticism is tremendous. It's an interesting discussion.
Even if the Cowboys already had Henry Melton and Aaron Donald I don't think they would pass on Poe even though he would have to be the 1-tech in that scenario. That's is assuming Poe passed their mental makeup evaluation.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Even if the Cowboys already had Henry Melton and Aaron Donald I don't think they would pass on Poe even though he would have to be the 1-tech in that scenario. That's is assuming Poe passed their mental makeup evaluation.

For a 340 lbs man to run a 4.89 is one thing but to do a 4.56 shuttle is something we may never see again. Once in a generation type ability.

JBS

Reaction score

Easily could be a smokescreen. .. BB has been wrong plenty of times before

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He tweeted this out today:

BktivX_IEAAi_g5.jpg

Alert. Possible gang member flashing signs. Has tattoos. Reportedly had cap on backwards prior to photo being taken.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't really see him as that similar to Floyd, although I have read that a lot here. If Dallas had both Jernigan and Floyd, I think Floyd would be the 1-tech and Jernigan the 3-tech. Jernigan is pretty active but still has good strength.

IMO he wouldn't be a perfect 3-tech like Donald, but he would have better anchor than him and better movement than Floyd. You could say Jernigan is somewhere in between Donald and Floyd.

But this seems like an argument for not taking him at 16. If he's a better 1 tech than 3 tech, but could at least be competent at the 3 tech, that tells me you need to find another player at that pick. You really shouldn't be taking a player at 16 and putting him at a position you don't think he's an ideal for.