You've got to admit it about Quinn

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When things were good, they were GOOD. Look at how he fixed the safety position on this team, this was a position that wasn't valued on this team for years. Look at his input into signing players like a Hankins because he knew we needed bigger bodies. Also might I include Ridgeway, Bohanna, Mazi Smith etc. He's also had personal meetings and worked out players on the DL who he really liked. Did it turn out well, did we draft the other guy he liked last year, no, but he still has a good eye for working with DL guys. Now as far as the playoff game, we know he wasn't great, this season hasn't been great at times. We can't just act like the guy didn't come in here and change things around from the previous disaster of a coach we had. If he does return, I think he sees what the issues are, it's time to get bigger and more aggressive. Putting guys in position who aren't the right size, has to be looked at closer, because it's hurting our defense. Please give your thoughts......

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This team was also 5th best in the league in points allowed. The issue with DQ is that he seems to struggle to adjust in season and proactively adjust his scheme year to year. He was great with the legion of boom in Seattle. Went to Atlanta where he was viewed as a good HC....until he wasnt. Now with his time in Dallas he was a great pick up, came in with a fresh new scheme, but it seems that teams caught up to what DQ was doing but nothing really changed. Is that DQ being stubborn or just stumped? Is that because the Cowboys didn't have the players to actually adjust to what offenses were doing to this team? I dont know the answer but one of those issues means you need a new DC, the other means you need someone else filling out the roster.

I will say thought that DQ returning isnt the worst thing in the world provided that we get better players at the second level.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This team was also 5th best in the league in points allowed. The issue with DQ is that he seems to struggle to adjust in season and proactively adjust his scheme year to year. He was great with the legion of boom in Seattle. Went to Atlanta where he was viewed as a good HC....until he wasnt. Now with his time in Dallas he was a great pick up, came in with a fresh new scheme, but it seems that teams caught up to what DQ was doing but nothing really changed. Is that DQ being stubborn or just stumped? Is that because the Cowboys didn't have the players to actually adjust to what offenses were doing to this team? I dont know the answer but one of those issues means you need a new DC, the other means you need someone else filling out the roster.

I will say thought that DQ returning isnt the worst thing in the world provided that we get better players at the second level.
agree with that

jujoboys

Reaction score
I'm not just looking at one game. I look at how his defense played against quality opponents and during crucial times throughout the season:

Arizona - this doesn't count as a quality opponent but these scrubs ran it down our throats for 222 yards rushing and their QB (journeyman) had a 120.1 QB rating.
San Fran - gave up 4 TD passes and 170 yards rushing along with 42 points
Seattle - Gave up 35 points and over 300 yards passing to Geno Smith
Buffalo - Gave up 31 points and allowed Buffalo to rush for 266 yards
Miami - Thank goodness we held them to a lot of FGs. Tua almost 300 yards passing. Allowed game winning drive to finish off game.
Detroit - Run defense struggled but overall they played well until crunch time. Allowed the Lions to score a TD from 75 yards out in a little over 1 minute.
Packers - I don't even want to discuss this one

Our defense is like the rest of the team. They feast on the weak and starve against the strong. I thought the team had something going when they beat the Eagles 33-13 but we now all know that the Eagles stink so that was just a mirage. Those last 7 weeks of the season tell a story. We went 4-3 in those games but if a few bounces go different we could have gone 2-5.

75boyz

Reaction score
A case can be made that compared to what Quinn inherited from Nolan and the job he did with the defense in creating sacks and turnovers was a very impressive defensive improvement.

I mean the guy coaching the offense already had an offense scoring a bunch of points, getting yards and filling up the stat sheet before he even started calling plays so there ain't much bottom line difference there.

I guess ya gotta scapegoat somebody though. It's the Cowboy way.
Names like Linehan, Garrett, Moore, Zeke and now Quinn have proudly worn the ScapeGoat Title.
Heck, we've even passed the title along to entities like the offensive line and defense.

But with all that said, the current betting lines in Vegas for the '24 season has McCheese as a sizeable favorite to win the next Cowboys ScapeGoat Title followed closely by SleepNumber.

And if all else fails.
Blame it ALL on Jerry. He's mentioned as a candidate for the ScapeGoat Title on an every year basis it seems.
LOL

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
A case can be made that compared to what Quinn inherited from Nolan and the job he did with the defense in creating sacks and turnovers was a very impressive defensive improvement.

I mean the guy coaching the offense already had an offense scoring a bunch of points, getting yards and filling up the stat sheet before he ven started calling plays so there ain't much bottom line difference there.

I guess ya gotta scapegoat somebody though. It's the Cowboy way.
Names like Linehan, Garrett, Moore, Zeke and now Quinn have proudly worn the ScapeGoat Title.
Heck we've even passed the title along to entities like the offensive line and defense.

Betting lines in Vegas for the '24 season has McCheese as a sizeable favorite to win the next ScapeGoat Title followed closely by SleepNumber.
I think you're largely correct here, however since DQ turned around this defense it has been trending the wrong direction. Now is that because DQ is a horrible coach, or is it the roster construction of this roster I think is a very fair debate.

Cas2800

Reaction score
I don't blame Quinn as much as I blame the players. I feel Quinn did the best he could with the talent he had. We were weak at DT and Linebacker for most of the year. He was left to patch with what he had. For most of the season he played man to man defense and it worked. Any time they tried to play zone they got killed. The defense either couldn't adapt OR they refused to by in because that not what THEY wanted to play. It was said that because of Gilmore's injury he didn't have the strength to play physical man to man coverage off the line so they were forced to play zone. Once GB scored early it was over. I believe there are some leaders on the defense that layed down because it wasn't the defense they thought they should be playing. Parsons is the first that comes to mind. Someone need to take a look back at the games this defense got blown out this year and look at the defense they were in. Then look at the effort of those individual players. To me.....it seemed like if Parsons wasn't playing the roll he wanted, then he didn't give 100%. THats my concern and it needs to be addressed.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I'm not just looking at one game. I look at how his defense played against quality opponents and during crucial times throughout the season:

Arizona - this doesn't count as a quality opponent but these scrubs ran it down our throats for 222 yards rushing and their QB (journeyman) had a 120.1 QB rating.
San Fran - gave up 4 TD passes and 170 yards rushing along with 42 points
Seattle - Gave up 35 points and over 300 yards passing to Geno Smith
Buffalo - Gave up 31 points and allowed Buffalo to rush for 266 yards
Miami - Thank goodness we held them to a lot of FGs. Tua almost 300 yards passing. Allowed game winning drive to finish off game.
Detroit - Run defense struggled but overall they played well until crunch time. Allowed the Lions to score a TD from 75 yards out in a little over 1 minute.
Packers - I don't even want to discuss this one

Our defense is like the rest of the team. They feast on the weak and starve against the strong. I thought the team had something going when they beat the Eagles 33-13 but we now all know that the Eagles stink so that was just a mirage. Those last 7 weeks of the season tell a story. We went 4-3 in those games but if a few bounces go different we could have gone 2-5.
Exactly, that Philly win looked like a good team, but they were just as garbage as the rest of the ones we beat

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think you're largely correct here, however since DQ turned around this defense it has been trending the wrong direction. Now is that because DQ is a horrible coach, or is it the roster construction of this roster I think is a very fair debate.
The roster construction is a legit problem that lies at the GM’s feet. That doesn’t excuse DQ though for his lack of adjustments.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The roster construction is a legit problem that lies at the GM’s feet. That doesn’t excuse DQ though for his lack of adjustments.
For the Green Bay game I would agree with that. That was a total failure any way you look at it. For most of the season though if the roster isnt there is DQ expected to just make something out of nothing? If the guy doesnt have a true Linebacker on the roster what is he to do with that?

I think the bigger question is did DQ approve of that roster going into the season?

Dorsett33

Reaction score
When things were good, they were GOOD. Look at how he fixed the safety position on this team, this was a position that wasn't valued on this team for years. Look at his input into signing players like a Hankins because he knew we needed bigger bodies. Also might I include Ridgeway, Bohanna, Mazi Smith etc. He's also had personal meetings and worked out players on the DL who he really liked. Did it turn out well, did we draft the other guy he liked last year, no, but he still has a good eye for working with DL guys. Now as far as the playoff game, we know he wasn't great, this season hasn't been great at times. We can't just act like the guy didn't come in here and change things around from the previous disaster of a coach we had. If he does return, I think he sees what the issues are, it's time to get bigger and more aggressive. Putting guys in position who aren't the right size, has to be looked at closer, because it's hurting our defense. Please give your thoughts......
I agree with most of what you said. And if he comes back, he's going to have to change a little bit. Stop with the undersized players at LB. Stop running 6 DBs when team are using 12 personnel. Use Mikah as a LB more and let him blitz from there. Play Sam Williams more. And use what got you there, man-to-man, instead of switching in the playoffs by going zone most of the game. And find a way to beat coaches from the Shanahan tree. He's 0-6.

yentl911

Reaction score
Vince Lombardi wasn't going to coach this defense to a championship. Did the fans watch the game? You cannot have a LB (Clark) that is absolutely clueless flanked by 210 lb safety's and not expect to be exposed. The only chance we had all year was to get a big lead and make the other team throw the ball.

Any games where it was close, or the other team was physical running the ball, we were destroyed.

We need LB's in the worst way. Biggest need for this team IMO.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
This team was also 5th best in the league in points allowed.
Stat padding against garbage offenses doesn't make you a good defense...Unless this defense creates takaways, they lose....This defense is small, undersized up the middle, an average defense at best that's not getting you to a Championship.....Anyone watching this defense all season knows it's not anywhere near good enough to compete against winning or playoff contending teams with any assemblance of a running game....
This defense lacks a run stopper in the middle, Mazi was a dissapointment this year, Dallas needs two linebackers and a safety in this upcoming draft, they're very soft up the middle, which is the heart of any defense...What has always bothered me about this team is with the way this team has been always built, from the outside in, good teams are built from the inside out.

yentl911

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said. And if he comes back, he's going to have to change a little bit. Stop with the undersized players at LB. Stop running 6 DBs when team are using 12 personnel. Use Mikah as a LB more and let him blitz from there. Play Sam Williams more. And use what got you there, man-to-man, instead of switching in the playoffs by going zone most of the game. And find a way to beat coaches from the Shanahan tree. He's 0-6.
I like where your head is at - if Sam Williams is as fast and athletic as everyone says let him have some time at LB - he couldn't be any worse than Clark.

I thought Jaylon Smith was the worst NFL LB I ever watched until Clark this year. Zero play recognition or instincts.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For the Green Bay game I would agree with that. That was a total failure any way you look at it. For most of the season though if the roster isnt there is DQ expected to just make something out of nothing? If the guy doesnt have a true Linebacker on the roster what is he to do with that?

I think the bigger question is did DQ approve of that roster going into the season?
I have no idea but I do blame the GM more, it’s his job to properly build a football team, not sure Jerry even knows how. I can’t imagine Will and Dan signing off on that. If they did, then there are far bigger problems.