You've got to admit it about Quinn

Creeper

Reaction score
If they were good, what did they get exposed as?

Exposed means you are not what you appear, ie., you are not good
Exactly. Don't ask me why teams did not run at us like the Packers and Bills did. If I was an OC facing Dallas that's what I would do. The Cardinals showed that was the Cowboys weakness.

Statistically the Cowboys started out as a good defense. They were one of the top ranked scoring defenses all season. So when Buffalo and Green Bay scored at will, they exposed our defense for what it really is.

conner01

Reaction score
To me our D is great when the O is firing. But then again it’s not hard to play D when the O is working. The problem is our D isn’t good when teams aren’t forced to be one dimensional

FVSTONE

Reaction score
When things were good, they were GOOD. Look at how he fixed the safety position on this team, this was a position that wasn't valued on this team for years. Look at his input into signing players like a Hankins because he knew we needed bigger bodies. Also might I include Ridgeway, Bohanna, Mazi Smith etc. He's also had personal meetings and worked out players on the DL who he really liked. Did it turn out well, did we draft the other guy he liked last year, no, but he still has a good eye for working with DL guys. Now as far as the playoff game, we know he wasn't great, this season hasn't been great at times. We can't just act like the guy didn't come in here and change things around from the previous disaster of a coach we had. If he does return, I think he sees what the issues are, it's time to get bigger and more aggressive. Putting guys in position who aren't the right size, has to be looked at closer, because it's hurting our defense. Please give your thoughts......
Dan Quinn has proven that he doesn't have a clue on how to counter OCs attacking offenses. This idiot stands up in his luxury box with him yes men behind him calling out fake *** plays to players who don't have a clue about what he's talking about. His biggest accomplishment and biggest disappointment on the Cowboys has to be the rise and fall of Micah Parsons! The kid caught fire when Quinn moved him to a DE position and has fallen on HARD TIMES now that teams know how to defend him........................

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Either his defense is unsound - horrible run fits, bad angles, poor tackling, gambling scheme, cannot control the run after 3 years,
or he is the worst coach ever because he cannot teach players. Which is it?

If you cannot stop the run, you will never win. It’s that simple

We must spend this offseason doing everything we can to stop the run and to develop a power run game. Nothing else matters.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
When things were good, they were GOOD. Look at how he fixed the safety position on this team, this was a position that wasn't valued on this team for years. Look at his input into signing players like a Hankins because he knew we needed bigger bodies. Also might I include Ridgeway, Bohanna, Mazi Smith etc. He's also had personal meetings and worked out players on the DL who he really liked. Did it turn out well, did we draft the other guy he liked last year, no, but he still has a good eye for working with DL guys. Now as far as the playoff game, we know he wasn't great, this season hasn't been great at times. We can't just act like the guy didn't come in here and change things around from the previous disaster of a coach we had. If he does return, I think he sees what the issues are, it's time to get bigger and more aggressive. Putting guys in position who aren't the right size, has to be looked at closer, because it's hurting our defense. Please give your thoughts......
Dan Quinn improved take aways (but see your DB coach for that). Dan Quinn coaching background is DL. He did not improve what has haunted this defense since Parcells was ran off the ranch. They cannot stop the run. You have to stop the run to rush the pass. The other way just does not work. That is why his defense gave away the biggest point lead in Super Bowl history.

The Seattle defense that he was a part of but not not the mastermind (see Carroll and Richard) could stop the run first, rush the pass, and get turn overs in that order. Quinn is DL coach that could not fix the DL in Dallas. He over used Parson in pass rush. If you cannot get DT push up the middle in the QB face, good to great NFL QBs are going to carve your defense up (ask Brady, and Love).

As long as this defense keeps Joe Whitt and Al Harris the DBs will be fine and takeaways will remain high. But the DL is where it starts and where it ends. Dan Quinn failed at this part of his job.

chagus

Reaction score
So basically, if the Cowboys beat you, you just suck. If you beat the cowboys, you got a shot. Sounds like a middle of the pack team to me.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
Exactly. Don't ask me why teams did not run at us like the Packers and Bills did. If I was an OC facing Dallas that's what I would do. The Cardinals showed that was the Cowboys weakness.

Statistically the Cowboys started out as a good defense. They were one of the top ranked scoring defenses all season. So when Buffalo and Green Bay scored at will, they exposed our defense for what it really is.
Stats don't tell an adequate story.
In order to properly compare stats of individual teams, every play would have to be run against exactly similar conditions, personnel, play call, weather conditions, etc.

Comparing stats of un-standardized study conditions has a very poor predictive ability.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score

Cowboys defense under Dan Quinn since 2021​

NFL RANK
PPG Allowed19.95th
3rd Down Pct Allowed36.4%4th
Sacks1416th
QB Pressure Rate41.4%1st
TD-INT Allowed68-592nd
Interceptions591st
Takeaways931st
Defensive TD151st

raven55

Reaction score
danny wonder boy is like the rest of this organizatiion a BIG FAKE when it comes to playing a real football team

RonWashington

Reaction score
I’m not sure I would bring up Mazi Ridgeway and Bohana as a resume builder for Dan Q ?

:facepalm:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quinn’s problem is pretty clear. When something isn’t working , he is slow to adapt and fix it. The problem we had in the second half of the GB game were the same problems we had in the first half. Where are the in-game adjustments?

He’s got 5 HC interviews scheduled , I’ll be surprised if he lands any after his defense melted down. He stubbornly stuck to a zone scheme that was clearly not working.

DaleMc

Reaction score
They were not impressive against good teams.
I heard one of the talking heads say that this team is like 12 and 15 against winning teams, not as good as many of us may have thought when you look at the big picture.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I heard one of the talking heads say that this team is like 12 and 15 against winning teams, not as good as many of us may have thought when you look at the big picture.
THat number doesn't mean much unless you show that it is much worse than other teams, which I am guessing it isn't. Over a period of time, the good teams typically are probably lucky to be .500 or better against winning teams.

The thing is and I don't see it mentioned often, is that we often struggled with the first drive or two of games and then the D settled down. Against good teams it didn't settle down. That tells me that he often came in with a very basic defensive plan, and the other teams were able to excel. Teams that weren't talented couldn't consistently do it, but good offenses could and Quinn could never adjust.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score

Cowboys defense under Dan Quinn since 2021​

NFL RANK
PPG Allowed19.95th
3rd Down Pct Allowed36.4%4th
Sacks1416th
QB Pressure Rate41.4%1st
TD-INT Allowed68-592nd
Interceptions591st
Takeaways931st
Defensive TD151st
cowboys defense on Sunday, against a good offense, ..............
Quinn's defense with 6 minutes left in the third quarter of a Super Bowl,......

nobody

Reaction score
Quinn has done good work. Am concerned he's been figured out, but that could be as simple as our front seven just being trash players.
I would agree except... Love was weak against Man coverage. he was better against zone. The Cowboys strength was man coverage. So why did Quinn choose to go against what they'd been having success with and have his defense play Zone against Love? Having trash players or not, we played better with man coverage. So Quinn either didn't do his research on Love or was trying to be cute and failed.

The time to experiment is not in the playoffs. So good work or not, he shouldn't be retained.

Big_D

Reaction score
They faced Jordan love in a playoff game and GB dominated this defense. There's no silver lining. Packers stole their lunch money.. it was embarrassing. That one play to the TE was absolutely laughable. That's on top of getting run over and being unable to stop a single WR.

Strol

Reaction score
This team was also 5th best in the league in points allowed. The issue with DQ is that he seems to struggle to adjust in season and proactively adjust his scheme year to year. He was great with the legion of boom in Seattle. Went to Atlanta where he was viewed as a good HC....until he wasnt. Now with his time in Dallas he was a great pick up, came in with a fresh new scheme, but it seems that teams caught up to what DQ was doing but nothing really changed. Is that DQ being stubborn or just stumped? Is that because the Cowboys didn't have the players to actually adjust to what offenses were doing to this team? I dont know the answer but one of those issues means you need a new DC, the other means you need someone else filling out the roster.

I will say thought that DQ returning isnt the worst thing in the world provided that we get better players at the second level.
The team gave up 29ppg to opponents .500 or better. Congrats to DQ for doing well against the Giants and Jets.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Everything you state is correct, of course. However, that makes the Green Bay game even more of a head scratcher. Unlike some fans, I knew Green Bay had a chance to win. However, I had no earthly clue the Cowboys would play this bad. I figured, if GB won, it would be because they kept the game close, and then would make key plays in the 4th quarter to get by us. I don't think they're some kind of juggernaut. They're a 9 and 8 team that ended their season hot. I suspect San Fran beats them by 14 or more points. Then again, I've been wrong before. If somehow GB clobbers the 49ers, then I might think they're some kind of great team. However, what I think right now is that GB is an above-average team that the Cowboys were hopelessly inept against. They knew how to game plan to beat the Cowboys, but the Cowboys were utterly clueless on how to beat them.