You've got to be kidding me, Emmitt's record not on ESPN's Top 20

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
This might be old news if you've seen this program, but on ESPN Classic, they have a fun show called 'The Top 20.'

It usually covers all sports, and could be anything from Top 20 Coaches All-Time, Top 20 Dynasties All-Time and Top 20 Game Winners All-Time

So anyways, I saw an episode yesterday called Top 20 Greatest Records.

And, Emmitt of course was #..... HE WASN'T ON THE LIST! :doh:

ESPN can never say ever again they don't have a Cowboys agenda. It's guys like this that vote on the Hall of Fame.

How can you not have the NFL's All-Time Rushing Record in a top 20 list? Do these idiots have any idea how tough it is to endure that kind of punishment for that long? Have they checked the yardage estimates for all current players and seen that almost every one of them is nowhere near Emmitt's record, and the only 2 players that have a smidgen of a chance (Ladainian Tomlinson and Clinton Portis) need tons of Pro Bowl caliber years with zero injuries. It's so tough to be the featured back that most teams have given up on it and gone to the committee approach, and that's because most bodies cannot handle that type of punishment for one season, much less for over a decade at a consistent All Pro level like Emmitt Smith.

If you want to know some of the records that were on the top 20 in place of Emmitt....

Martina Navratilova's 8 Wimbledon championships
The "Tiger" Slam (because it's more special when Tiger does it I guess :rolleyes:)
Pete Maravich's career scoring average
Edwin Moses' 122 straight wins
Jack Nicklaus' 18 majors

Some deserving records were up there like Joe DiMaggio's hit streak, Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak, UCLA's NCAA championship streak, and Wayne Gretzky's stuff.

The only two football records represented were Jerry Rice's career receiving record and the Dolphins with the only perfect season in Super Bowl history. Didn't see a single college football record. So apparently, Rice's longevity is impressive, but Emmitt's longevity in a position that take far more beatings is worth nothing. :loser:

How much do you wanna bet if Payton was still the record holder, it would have been top 20? ESPN just loves them Cowboys.

DBoys

Reaction score
Rushing record in my opinion is the greatest record in any sport. The abuse RB's take and to think someone rushed that many yards is unbelievable.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think the rushing record is 2nd only to the all time home run record and that is being tainted by steroids. They either made a mistake, they're stupid, or they did it on purpose because he's a Cowboy.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
It's because Emmitt had a great OL, great WR to take pressure off of him, great QB, great FB, etc.

:rolleyes:

Pokes28

Reaction score
I'd put Barry Sanders' single season rushing total in college the year he won the Heisman.

He was insane that year. Think about it. 11 regular season games is all they counted as they didn't include bowl games back then and there was no conference championship game to add to totals. Sanders went on to lead the nation in rushing yards (2,628), total yards (3,250), touchdowns (39) and scoring (234 points)

That means he AVERAGED 239 yards rushing, 295 yards total, and 3.5 TDs per game.

He's so far ahead of anybody else. The NCAA will now have kids that get to play and count 14 games in a season. 12 regular season, conference championship, and bowl game all count towards totals today (they didn't back in 88). So to match the single season total that Barry did in 11 games, a kid would still have to average over 187 yards a game rushing. That is still a staggering figure that would definitely give a Heisman to whoever was able to do it.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
DBoys said:
Rushing record in my opinion is the greatest record in any sport. The abuse RB's take and to think someone rushed that many yards is unbelievable.
No it's not - not even close...the top records in sport are Joe DiMaggio 56 game hitting streak and Favre's Games played streak...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Well, if it makes ya feel better, I also saw their '20 Top Athletes Over the Age of 40' special and they picked 3 NASCAR drivers for the list, because we all know what rigors it places on the body sitting in a seat. ;) Wierd picks on all of their shows I guess.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
No it's not - not even close...the top records in sport are Joe DiMaggio 56 game hitting streak and Favre's Games played streak...

Agree with you on the first, but Ripken's was more impressive than Farve. Yes football is tougher, but just the sheer number of games Ripken played is amazing. If Farve gets banged up on Sunday he at least has a few days to recover.

I may be biased, but I say Emmitt's record should be number 1 in the NFL. I think most people don't consider him to be the best running back of all time, so they tend to downplay the record.

DBoys

Reaction score
X-Dawg said:

Joe's record was 1 year the rushing title was over a career. Which took more effort and abuse? Favre record hahhaha

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Well, if it makes ya feel better, I also saw their '20 Top Athletes Over the Age of 40' special and they picked 3 NASCAR drivers for the list, because we all know what rigors it places on the body sitting in a seat. ;) Wierd picks on all of their shows I guess.

Sitting in a seat while going 200 mph with phenominal centrifical force while at the same time keeping a 2000 lb hunk of metal from slamming into a wall. Oh, yeah, there are 40 other guys out there trying to do the same only a micro-fraction of an inch off your bumbers and doors. But hey, no pressure. No skill level needed. No physical demands at all. :rolleyes:

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
DBoys said:
Joe's record was 1 year the rushing title was over a career. Which took more effort and abuse? Favre record hahhaha
How long has Joe D's stood?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy said:
Sitting in a seat while going 200 mph with phenominal centrifical force while at the same time keeping a 2000 lb hunk of metal from slamming into a wall. Oh, yeah, there are 40 other guys out there trying to do the same only a micro-fraction of an inch off your bumbers and doors. But hey, no pressure. No skill level needed. No physical demands at all. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I know that bothers NASCAR fans, but you can't tell me playing baseball, basketball, football, hockey from age 20 to 40 (if you even make i that far!) is the same as driving a car. It's no coincidence that about a third of the people on their list were NASCAR or PGA .

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Sorry, I know that bothers NASCAR fans, but you can't tell me playing baseball, basketball, football, hockey from age 20 to 40 (if you even make i that far!) is the same as driving a car. It's no coincidence that about a third of the people on their list were NASCAR or PGA .

Again, it's not just driving a car. If it were so easy, everyone would do it. IF you've ever seen guys like Mark Martin, who is going to retire (I think) after this year, go through his work out routine you would be amazed. Most of these guys are fitness nuts. Most of us on this board could not do, on a consitent basis what Mark Martin does everyday. Now don't get me started on Golf. It's not a sport. It's a hobby.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
had walter payton still held the rushing record it probably wouldve made the list, but since its a cowboy in emmitt, it probably wasnt ever thought of.

DBoys

Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
How long has Joe D's stood?

Since 1941 and he broke Lyons record of 52 in 1887. Rose had 44 games in 78.

It's 1 hit a game compared to a RB rushing for 18,355 over a CAREER.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
X-Dawg said:

do you ever say anything positive about Dallas...when it doesn't involve Tony Romo?

JMead

Reaction score
How many years did Smith play before he broke the record? I kinda got the feeling that he was just hanging around to break the rushing record and I guess that might be the reason it didnt make the top 10.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Emmitt should be on there, period. Everyone knows that it is THE most respected record in the NFL. Most experts have said that it and the home run record are the Holy Grail of sports records. You know what's sad? Emmitt beat Payton by almost 2000 yards, but he doesnt make the list. If Emmitt hadnt beaten the record, they would have put Payton on that list. Anti-Cowboys bias is real my friends..

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
that's a pretty big slight.

but shows like that aren't worth getting upset over. i can't stand "list" shows.

vh1 is virtually unwatchable b/c of them.