You've got to be kidding me, Emmitt's record not on ESPN's Top 20

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
@Hos - yes people I know and people on the radio - I even heard him referred to as a compiler -

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
DBoys said:
This right here shows that morons love each others company.

"This record, though, is a longevity record, and longevity records show desire, passion, toughness, mental awareness, maturity, physical conditioning and, perhaps most of all, luck.

They don't always show greatness."

That is a contradiction if I ever read one.
No it's not - you can have all those attributes ala Bill Bates and not be an all time Great

DBoys

Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
No it's not - you can have all those attributes ala Bill Bates and not be an all time Great

So are you comparing Emmitt to Testaverde and Bill Bates? Did they have a resume that looks like this...

Pro Bowls 8
Awards 1993 AP NFL MVP
1993 PFWA MVP
1993 Super Bowl MVP
1993 UPI NFC Offensive Player of the Year
1993 Bert Bell Award
1990 AP Offensive Rookie of the Year
Honors NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor
Retired #s
Records NFL Career Rushing Yards
NFL Career Rushing TDs
3 Super Bowl Rings

You tell me of a running back that has more success than Emmitt?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
DBoys said:
So are you comparing Emmitt to Testaverde and Bill Bates? Did they have a resume that looks like this...

Pro Bowls 8
Awards 1993 AP NFL MVP
1993 PFWA MVP
1993 Super Bowl MVP
1993 Bert Bell Award
Retired #s
NFL Career Rushing TDs
3 Super Bowl Rings

Barry Sandars :D:D:D

he had more yards in one season

DBoys

Reaction score
You can buy into Prisco's argument all you want but it is solely based on certain aspects of a player being great (Vinny's passing yards) while others not so great. Emmitt did not have lopsided stats like that. No other running back has had as much complete success as he has nor have they been the complete player. Running, blocking, and catching. The other players were not as complete and it isn't even close. How was Barry blocking? How was Jim Brown as a teammate? Those players had weaknesses and as far as I can tell Emmitt had none.

He is the greatest and most complete back to ever play the game.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
DBoys said:
No other running back has had as much complete success as he has nor have they been the complete player.

He is the greatest and most complete back to ever play the game.
That says it all..

Manster68

Reaction score
Hostile said:
In post #25 of this thread you said this...

Now it's NOT people you've heard but don't know?

You wanna get your story straight and get back to me? Or would you prefer to finally get the message. If you are listening to those MANY people, then you are listening to complete idiots.

Here, let me help you so you don't hurt yourself. Look up the amount of carries Emmitt gave way to his backups later in his career when you are speculating he hung on just to get the record. And if he hung on just to get it why did he play 2 more years after he had it? Oh right, to put it more out of reach for others. ;) It had nothing to do with his love of the game. His emotions at retirement were all fake.

You might also want to take into consideration him giving way on 3rd downs to Chris Warren for several years despite being a very good receiver out of the backfield and a much better pass blocker. Oh yeah, real selfish guy.

He set a goal to break that record. Only a complete moron would fault him for reaching his goal. Tell that to these voices you are quoting the next time they speculate this stuff. It might save them from continuing the path of complete idiot.

You need to listen to better sources. Good advice.

OOOOoooooooohhhhhhhhhh HOS!

You forgot one big point my friend.

You forgot to ask him how many games Dallas had blowouts in during the last fives seasons here was in Dallas?

There were darn few.

Compiling? What a crock!

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
DBoys said:

Pro Bowls 8
Awards 1993 AP NFL MVP
1993 PFWA MVP
1993 Super Bowl MVP
1993 Bert Bell Award
Retired #s
NFL Career Rushing TDs
3 Super Bowl Rings

What? I was referring to the attributes in Bold...you can be all those and not be a great player - Bill Bates had a lot of those but was only a "good " player....you said the writer contradicted himself - no he didn't.

DBoys

Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
What? I was referring to the attributes in Bold...you can be all those and not be a great player - Bill Bates had a lot of those but was only a "good " player....you said the writer contradicted himself - no he didn't.

That is why I brought the resume stuff into it. That seperates Emmitt from Vinny or Bates. A player can excel in one aspect of the game. Doing it on multiple fronts makes players great.

Take a look at the resumes of the other great RB's and tell me what player comes close to being as complete as Emmitt?

I am not talking about one aspect like rushing yards either.

That is the argument Prisco is trying to use. He is taking one aspect and trying to spin it and call the record mediocre. To analyze more fully the complete player justifies or refutes that claim.

To last you have to be talented in many different areas.

Barry wasn't as complete because he didn't have the heart. He wouldn't play a game with a seperated shoulder. He quit.

Cowboy Bebop

Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
No it's not - not even close...the top records in sport are Joe DiMaggio 56 game hitting streak and Favre's Games played streak...

Baseball isn't a sport. That's right I said it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
@Hos - yes people I know and people on the radio - I even heard him referred to as a compiler -
Once again, are you getting the message? If you listen to those people (a.k.a. act like a sheep, and fail to have thoughts of your own on the matter) then you are listening to complete idiots. Is that your goal in life, to heed the words of stupid people? If so, you might want to set your sights a little higher.

At the end of Emmitt's career when he was supposedly (according to your complete idiot sources) staying in blowouts and compiling numbers rather than taking a seat, was this on Madden? Clean up your reading glasses and take a good hard look at Emmitt's last 3 years with the Cowboys. In case you've had a memory lapse let me remind you. 5-11 in 2000, 5-11 in 2001, 5-11 in 2002.

Now pretend you are a Police interogator and ask these complete idiots (who have gone from being MANY people you know, to people you've heard talk about it, to a combination of both) one simple question. What blowouts was he sticking around in and compliling stats?

Write that phrase (that these complete idiots gave you, not that you came up with on your own with cognizant thinking) about Emmitt compiling stats in blowouts on a piece of tissue paper and give it its proper recognition. In case that was over your head, flush it down the toilet where it belongs.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Manster68 said:
OOOOoooooooohhhhhhhhhh HOS!

You forgot one big point my friend.

You forgot to ask him how many games Dallas had blowouts in during the last fives seasons here was in Dallas?

There were darn few.

Compiling? What a crock!
Thank you and now remedied.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
had walter payton still held the rushing record it probably wouldve made the list, but since its a cowboy in emmitt, it probably wasnt ever thought of.
:hammer:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
had walter payton still held the rushing record it probably wouldve made the list, but since its a cowboy in emmitt, it probably wasnt ever thought of.

I guarantee if Jim Brown or Payton still held it, it would be there. Guaranteed.

Cowboy Bebop

Reaction score
We need to have Emmitt save some children from a burning orphanage so people will give him the respect he deserves.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think the show's selection committee is pretty idiotic at times. They had a list of the best ever owners in sports. George Halas comes in 11th while Bob freaking Kraft comes in 6th and the Rooneys come in 1st.

While the Rooneys are good people and do represent the interest of small market teams well, they certainly have their flaws. That being said, there would be no NFL without Halas. To put Kraft ahead of him is insulting.

If you want to know some of the records that were on the top 20 in place of Emmitt....

The "Tiger" Slam (because it's more special when Tiger does it I guess )

They call it the "Tiger" Slam because there's controversy whether it was a true Grand Slam or not. Tiger won 4 majors in a row, but not in the same golf season. Many believe that's not a true Grand Slam, so they refer to it as the "Tiger" Slam since he's the only player to have ever won 4 majors in a row, but not in the same golf season.

Pete Maravich's career scoring average

This is crap. It's college ball and Maravich's teams weren't very good because he couldn't make his other players better.

Edwin Moses' 122 straight wins

This is impressive. Basically, Moses was unbeatable in running for 10 years.

Jack Nicklaus' 18 majors

This is impressive as well. Especially considering he faced competition from HOF'ers like Trevino, Watson, and Palmer.

Rich.......

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Geez...you would think for a guy that just took the ball for his own stats as a compiler would have had the power to keep Jerry from signing other running backs to share the load with him.

Maybe Walker, Warren and Hambrick never got carries while Smith played. :D

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X-Dawg said:
Pete Prisco Nails it on the head - why this record is nothing overly great and why Emmitt was Great but not the Greatest ...
Why is it that you always quote journalists to support your arguments which pertain to sports? Just for the heck of it, why don't you quote someone who has either played or coached the sport? Or, at the very least, a journalist who does factual, in-depth study of sports like Gosselin? Who the hell cares what Prisco thinks? His opinion is almost as valid as yours or mine.

Well, yours maybe. :rolleyes: