You've got to be kidding me, Emmitt's record not on ESPN's Top 20

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Let me see if I can get this straight???

The big knock on Troy Aikman was he didn't have the big stats. The main argument refuting that is that the 90s Cowboys were often in blowouts and Aikman had like 0 yards passing in second halfs of those blowouts, because they handed the ball off to Emmitt.

Now people like Prisco, this list, and "MANY other people X-Dawg knows" say the knock on Emmitt was he was a "compiler" getting a lot of yards at the end of games...

They're consistent, but what else is a team supposed to do?? I guess the triplets were only supposed to play the first half?? It's a double standard to hold that fact against both players, and it's further evidence of an anti-Cowboys bias. I don't like to believe that there is a bias, but every day it seems there's some new double standard applied to the Cowboys.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
You either love the Cowboys or Hate them.......and those folks are comprised of the later....

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
I don't understand how Emmitt could be running up his stats as you say, by running late into games. First of all, I would say that it's the offensive coordinator that you're worrying about, because the coordinator/coach would pull him out if he wanted to. Listen, if nobody told you to come out, and you still wanted to play, would you say, "Well coach, I wouldn't want to look selfish, so I'll just sit the rest of the game out, and uh, while we're at it, I really don't want to look selfish, so I'll just sit the next few seasons out."

As a runningback, if you could, wouldn't you want to score a TD every time? He's just trying his hardest, and not giving some little lame effort to get 1-2 yards.

X-Dawg, someone told you to leave a thread. I want you out of this forum.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
This might be old news if you've seen this program, but on ESPN Classic, they have a fun show called 'The Top 20.'

It usually covers all sports, and could be anything from Top 20 Coaches All-Time, Top 20 Dynasties All-Time and Top 20 Game Winners All-Time

So anyways, I saw an episode yesterday called Top 20 Greatest Records.

And, Emmitt of course was #..... HE WASN'T ON THE LIST! :doh:

ESPN can never say ever again they don't have a Cowboys agenda. It's guys like this that vote on the Hall of Fame.

How can you not have the NFL's All-Time Rushing Record in a top 20 list? Do these idiots have any idea how tough it is to endure that kind of punishment for that long? Have they checked the yardage estimates for all current players and seen that almost every one of them is nowhere near Emmitt's record, and the only 2 players that have a smidgen of a chance (Ladainian Tomlinson and Clinton Portis) need tons of Pro Bowl caliber years with zero injuries. It's so tough to be the featured back that most teams have given up on it and gone to the committee approach, and that's because most bodies cannot handle that type of punishment for one season, much less for over a decade at a consistent All Pro level like Emmitt Smith.

If you want to know some of the records that were on the top 20 in place of Emmitt....

Martina Navratilova's 8 Wimbledon championships
The "Tiger" Slam (because it's more special when Tiger does it I guess :rolleyes:)
Pete Maravich's career scoring average
Edwin Moses' 122 straight wins
Jack Nicklaus' 18 majors

Some deserving records were up there like Joe DiMaggio's hit streak, Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak, UCLA's NCAA championship streak, and Wayne Gretzky's stuff.

The only two football records represented were Jerry Rice's career receiving record and the Dolphins with the only perfect season in Super Bowl history. Didn't see a single college football record. So apparently, Rice's longevity is impressive, but Emmitt's longevity in a position that take far more beatings is worth nothing. :loser:

How much do you wanna bet if Payton was still the record holder, it would have been top 20? ESPN just loves them Cowboys.
Without reading the article, it looks like they are concentrating on individual sports, tennis, Track and golf.

It does not matter the the average joe anyways, but any real sports fan and specifically a football fan knows who emmitt is and what he has accomplished.

I would advise not blowing a gasket everytime a sports publication prints a list and your favorite is not on it. It does not mean anything except their point of view is different from yours.

Reaction score
What is so ironic about this whole thing is how great everyone felt the record was when it belonged to "Sweetness".

In a video on Emmitt's career, several so-called "experts" were asked if they thought #22 could break Payton's record. Of course, Joe 'The Homer' Theisman said it was too great a number for Smith to reach. Madden felt that Payton was the best ever, so Smith couldn't touch his record. They all went on and on about how hard it is for a RB to take the kind of pounding they take in the NFL year after year, and that the 16 thousand + yds. Payton ran for were unreachable.

My point is this--if it was such a great record when it was "only" 16,000 something, shouldn't it be that much of a greater feat to reach over 18,000?? ESPN obviously has a anti-Cowboy agenda, and it is up to each & every Cowboy fan to call them out on it.

Does anyone know the best way to reach the movers & shakers of ESPN so that we can make our voices heard? Let's stop talking about it and do something about it, before more Cowboys of the past worthy of the HOF are black-listed!!!

random Cs

Reaction score
Anti-Cowboy agenda because Emmit isn't on the top 20 greatest records of all time? Stop reaching.

When looking at American sports in the past century, football is near the bottom of the list, which is why you only saw 2 from football being represented. The rushing record isn't anywhere near Jerry's records, sorry.