News: Zach Martin Blog: Life In The Pros

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
June 24, 2014
It's been a great opportunity for us to come here to the Rookie Symposium. Like many of the speakers have said, we may think we know everything, but we have so much more to learn. It really means a lot to hear from the players that have been there and recently done it...the message sticks a little more. The vets talking to us are taking time out of their day and their schedules to share their stories and experiences with us, and it's been awesome and made an impact.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was talking about having a plan. You never think you are going to be that guy who gets hurt or that guy who makes a foolish investment, and that's why it's important to make a plan before something like that happens. Take precautionary measures to guard yourself from those types of things.

Read more: http://nflpe.sportsblog.com/posts/722063/life_in_the_pros.html

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I always wonder how often rookies attend the symposium and the common sense goes in one ear and out the other.
Rookie Symposium Professional Speaker :D

kenny-powers-jetski.jpg

kenny_powers_quotes.jpg

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
lol! I loved that guy in This Is The End. May it's not the same guy but it looks like him.

That's him (Danny McBride). He was in "Pineapple Express" and a couple of other stoner type flicks. The pic above is from his HBO series, "East Bound and Down" where he plays a white trash ex MLB player with an hilariously blown up ego. Some other Kenny Powers quotes:

Kenny Powers: Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Timid Kid: My dad said you ruined baseball.
Kenny Powers: You know what? I can already tell that I don't like you. And I'm probably not gonna like you no matter how many pull-ups or push-ups you do. All right, anybody who wants to pick on anybody in class, aim for him, 'cause I'm not watchin'.

Terrence Cutler: There's something you need to know about Kenny, you're not the only athlete here at Chip Davis Elementary. I happen to be training for a triathlon. Doing a lot of running, cycling, swimming, but you know all about that.
Kenny Powers: No actually I don't. I play real sports, not try to be the best at exercising!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been very lucky going to a spot where I play on an offensive line that is very close. They've been great with me so far.
The rebuilding of The Great Wall continues.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Well Zack is unusual in that he really DID go to class at school- since it was Notre Dame. Outside of others like that - Stanford, Northwestern, etc- the great majority of those in the rookie class majored in girls and booze in college outside of Football. Not learning to live in the real world.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The part about finding a vet who embodies professionalism and mimic them is a great point. It is something that Frederick and some of the other OL mentioned as a great thing about having Brian Waters around.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I think I am as excited about Martin as any player taken in a long time except Dez.

Not only do I have high expectations for him individually, but his meshing with the others on this line is a recipe for something wonderful happening with the offense.

As much as some claim the running game is passe, it will make the offense so much better, and will help Romo in many ways. The pass first offense seems to be the norm now. But a power running game is still a power running game. It wears down defenses. Eats clock. And sets up so much in the passing game by forcing the defensive backfield to play closer to the line. That helps receivers get past the second level and Romo with protection while they get clear.

Martin cannot do this alone. I am not naive. But the foundation is here for a line in the vein of the early nineties that road grades opponents.

This is the part of football I love. Watching a plan come together when a tried and true scheme will reap results.

The days of the Zach Attack have arrived.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I always wonder how often rookies attend the symposium and the common sense goes in one ear and out the other.

You can hear stories about how things have gone awfully wrong in a former player's life.

The hard part is applying what you are learning to your own life situation.

I don't think it is an issue of not listening or paying attention, it is a lack of skills in recognizing how these lessons affect you.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's him (Danny McBride). He was in "Pineapple Express" and a couple of other stoner type flicks. The pic above is from his HBO series, "East Bound and Down" where he plays a white trash ex MLB player with an hilariously blown up ego. Some other Kenny Powers quotes:

Kenny Powers: Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Timid Kid: My dad said you ruined baseball.
Kenny Powers: You know what? I can already tell that I don't like you. And I'm probably not gonna like you no matter how many pull-ups or push-ups you do. All right, anybody who wants to pick on anybody in class, aim for him, 'cause I'm not watchin'.

Terrence Cutler: There's something you need to know about Kenny, you're not the only athlete here at Chip Davis Elementary. I happen to be training for a triathlon. Doing a lot of running, cycling, swimming, but you know all about that.
Kenny Powers: No actually I don't. I play real sports, not try to be the best at exercising!
haha! Funny stuff!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, considering that most are 20 to 23 years old I would expect that to be the norm.
I can't really debate that. Just wished most would take advantage of the huge opportunity they worked so hard to achieve. Oh well. Que Sera Sera.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can hear stories about how things have gone awfully wrong in a former player's life.

The hard part is applying what you are learning to your own life situation.

I don't think it is an issue of not listening or paying attention, it is a lack of skills in recognizing how these lessons affect you.
Perhaps that has a large part to do with it. Still, rookies are encouraged to seek professional guidance with their financial affairs. Even if a rookie cannot integrate the practical applications of the symposium's lectures into his personal life, it should not preclude him from hiring someone who can help him do so. Then again, the lack of skills you mentioned would prevent some of the rookies from being able to discern financial advisors, willing to work in their best interest, from unscrupulous individuals eager to prey upon their good fortune. It's kinda sad all round.