Twitter: Zach Minter got first team snaps

reddyuta

Reaction score
Oh man I'm excited if Minter turns out to be our Selvie from last year. I was listening to Fish yesterday on 105.3 and he was saying he is definitely a 1-tech. Go ahead and take the spot from Hayden and help out our defense bro. I'm rooting for you!

I think he is a 3.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It says something for how awful the depth and talent is at DT that someone can come off the street, and inside of a week, he's getting first team reps.

I mean, he made a number of good plays in the game against the Ravens, but he also got horribly pancaked on the touchdown run in the third quarter.

The DL stinks. But I think most teams in the league would give a guy first team reps after consecutive plays like that from a guy they just added to the roster that week. You gotta find out what you've got, and there's not a lot of time to do it heading into game three.

Let's just hope he's for real, because we could use him if he is. I'm always guarded about players who break out in preseason games against players who may not be in the league in a week or two, anyway. But I did like the look of Minter even on his college tape. He seems like the kind of active player who might do well in rotation in a one-gap defense. Only one way to find out, though. If he looks good against our interior OL in practice, we'll know we've got something.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
This dude seems like a sweetheart. He started following all cowboys fans who tweeted him and saying they're #cowboyszone seems this could work in our favor.....let's see what he does with first team and not 3rd string

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
It says something for how awful the depth and talent is at DT that someone can come off the street, and inside of a week, he's getting first team reps.

I mean, he made a number of good plays in the game against the Ravens, but he also got horribly pancaked on the touchdown run in the third quarter.

He flashed which is all he can do. I agree him getting first teams reps after being here a week is disheartening but the line needs play makers in the worst way.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Nice to hear on Minter, especially with Melton still sidelined. Although I like Coleman, nobody has really stepped up consistently in Melton's absence.

Got to also give Selvie credit. The team was much more sound against the run with him at end than it was with Crawford.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Can he be the next Booger McFarland? They have similar measurables although McFarland was a #1 pick. It's a long shot but why not give him a try.

conner01

Reaction score
he is fast for a big guy and at 300 lbs he should be more of a force in the run game. time will tell if he is something but he sure looked good saturday night

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He flashed which is all he can do. I agree him getting first teams reps after being here a week is disheartening but the line needs play makers in the worst way.

I assume it's because of Melton's absence, which doesn't make it all that disheartening since the backups who are playing 3-tech are an undrafted rookie (Coleman, a seventh-rounder (Bishop), and a couple of defensive ends (Rayford, Ojomo).

The player it might reflect poorly on is Tyrone Crawford, but it appears Dallas is primarily trying him at end right now. I don't think it has much to do with Hayden right now, either, because I'm pretty sure Minter's first-team snaps came at the 3 instead of the 1.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do we even have one player on the DL who legitimately is starting quality?

I think we have a couple, but they all have question marks. Melton included. Crawford, Selvie, and a healthy Spencer, for example.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Oh man I'm excited if Minter turns out to be our Selvie from last year. I was listening to Fish yesterday on 105.3 and he was saying he is definitely a 1-tech. Go ahead and take the spot from Hayden and help out our defense bro. I'm rooting for you!

If Fish is saying that Minter is def a 1 tech then he doesn't know what he is saying. Minter did his damage from the 3 tech spot.

Zman5

Reaction score
He ran a 4.8 40. At 301LBS, that is pretty impressive. He is also pretty strong (31 reps/225LBS).
Hopefully Marinelli and company can teach him how to play football.

conner01

Reaction score
He ran a 4.8 40. At 301LBS, that is pretty impressive. He is also pretty strong (31 reps/225LBS).
Hopefully Marinelli and company can teach him how to play football.
very true. this kid has the tools, he just needs some good coaching and motivation. not alot of 300lb guys can run a 4.8 40 and he is strong. he could fit well

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
flounder.jpg

keith-wenning-zach-minter-caesar-rayford-nfl-preseason-baltimore-ravens-dallas-cowboys1.jpg

ladiewolve

Reaction score
You know what it tells me? It tells me that the team is creating competition on the D line to ensure they put their best combination of players on the field come game day. I'd be more alarmed if someone shined in a preseason game and then didn't get first team reps because the spot was already locked down by a mediocre vet like Hayden. At least they're leaving no stones unturned.

^ :) ^