Zach Thomas rumor

khiladi

Reaction score
rickytickycamaro;1956926 said:
I live in Miami and I have seen Zach Thomas as a player and as a great human being in the community. To me this would be the same as the Patriots stealing Wes Welker from the Fins. Remember who is buying the groceries here in Miami. We should definitely try to go after Jason Taylor. We need some "nastiness" in our DEFENSE!

It isn't the same thing, simply because Zach Thomas is a concussion away from having serious long-term neurological issues. I would love having him, but it is really in the interests of his own long-term health that he retire.

Concussions are no joke, and considering that Zack Thomas is such a likeable guy, I'd rather have him healthy and retired, than laying out hits, even for the Dallas Cowboys.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I've followed Zach since he signed with Texas Tech out of Pampa High School.

I would love to have him in Dallas and I think he could play in just about any system, but I'm not convinced he's ok physically. That defense definitely needs leaders.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chief;1956936 said:

I would love to have him in Dallas and I think he could play in just about any system, but I'm not convinced he's ok physically. That defense definitely needs leaders.

Ware will be entering his 3rd season you don't see him emerging as the leader of this defense?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;1956889 said:
I don't think we can yet. Free Agency doesn't start until the end of the month.

I could be wrong since he was released, but I'm pretty skeptical of that. Hell of a leader and I wouldn't hate it.

i know he was released, but can we trade carpenter for him anyway?

Woods

Reaction score
Chief;1956936 said:

That sums it up very nicely for me.

dfense

Reaction score
Yeah, a really old, small, injury riddled, concussion prone, 4-3 linebacker. That's almost believable.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Woods;1956902 said:
I think if the player is a veteran with something like 4 or more years of experience and they have been cut, they don't have to wait until FA starts.

I think it's either 4 years or 5 years of experience . . . .

The free agency date is for players under contract. He was released so he is a free agent immediately. Vested veterans can avoid going through waivers where teams can pick up a players current contract when released.(Although I believe there are different rules on that during the season.)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Not only could Thomas show some of these guys what it really means to be a player, but his attitude upgrade over the guy he'd replace could be immense. I saw (they had a webcam) an interview Galloway did at the Super Bowl with Ayodele. I really didn't like the feeling I got from it. He said he was out there as part of the grieving process... Yeah, right. He was out there for the parties, it was obvious.

We all know what a pretty boy Akin is, and he's one of the guys who would fly out to parties in LA during the week. I have a feeling we may have one or two too many players on this team who do too much of that kind of thing.

It doesn't mean Akin is necessarily a bad guy, but still, give me a guy who eats, sleeps, and breathes football every single day over a guy like that any day.

Duane

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1956959 said:
Not only could Thomas show some of these guys what it really means to be a player, but his attitude upgrade over the guy he'd replace could be immense. I saw (they had a webcam) an interview Galloway did at the Super Bowl with Ayodele. I really didn't like the feeling I got from it. He said he was out there as part of the grieving process... Yeah, right. He was out there for the parties, it was obvious.

We all know what a pretty boy Akin is, and he's one of the guys who would fly out to parties in LA during the week. I have a feeling we may have one or two too many players on this team who do too much of that kind of thing.

It doesn't mean Akin is necessarily a bad guy, but still, give me a guy who eats, sleeps, and breathes football every single day over a guy like that any day.

That's the biggest thing we lost when Dat retired.

sago1

Reaction score
Jason Garrett was QB coach down in Miami and should know a lot about Thomas and Taylor which he can pass along to Wade -- plus all that film they can study. Don't know how much either has left nor how they'd contribute to our defense. But I think both are leaders but don't know if either are vocal or follow by example type. We need some vocal leaders with high intensity level to consistently fire up our defense and even our offense.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
It doesn't mean Akin is necessarily a bad guy, but still, give me a guy who eats, sleeps, and breathes football every single day over a guy like that any day.[/quote]

That's what im talking about.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Duane;1956965 said:
That's the biggest thing we lost when Dat retired.

Exactly. I was thinking earlier how much brainpower and experience would be in the room when Dat and Zach watched film together.

But we miss guys like Dat and Coakley, who never missed a single day of scheduled lifting in like 10 years. :eek:

Way back when we first started discussing this, I thought it would be nice to get Thomas in here. Now, I'm thinking it's a must-do.

C'mon, Jerry, get him to Valley Ranch, show him those Lombardis, and put on your best sales pitch.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
At a low cost I have no issue with Thomas, but not a big price for a guy who is on his last leg coming off a season in which he stayed injured? I don't think so I don't care how much rah rah you have it still comes down to getting on the field and performing and producing and if Thomas can't do that then all the rah rah stuff does not mean a thing. BP has enough sense to understand that Thomas is not the same player he once was. You can't live in the past with players it is all about now

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cheap this would be a great deal ..... but I would put no money into it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
He definitely showed class in his radio interview that was posted. Said he could play in a 3-4.

Duane

Reaction score
I think Parcells and Ireland just want to blow the whole thing up and start over. Thomas probably has another year or two left in him but in their eyes it's worth it to cut him, along with a lot of other vets, and start from the ground up.

I mean it's not like you can get a whole hell of a lot worse than 1-15. So bringing in a new set of players lets them clean the slate and mold them the way they want to.