Zach Thomas rumor

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Duane;1956990 said:
I think Parcells and Ireland just want to blow the whole thing up and start over. Thomas probably has another year or two left in him but in their eyes it's worth it to cut him, along with a lot of other vets, and start from the ground up.

I mean it's not like you can get a whole hell of a lot worse than 1-15. So bringing in a new set of players lets them clean the slate and mold them the way they want to.

Yet I'll wager the BP keeps Jason Taylor. I think Thomas has to be looked at as a buyer beware player. He has a great past but he is a LB coming off some major concussion problems that kept him out of the lineup. Personally I think Dallas would be better off passing on Thomas.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
Duane;1956990 said:
I think Parcells and Ireland just want to blow the whole thing up and start over. Thomas probably has another year or two left in him but in their eyes it's worth it to cut him, along with a lot of other vets, and start from the ground up.

I mean it's not like you can get a whole hell of a lot worse than 1-15. So bringing in a new set of players lets them clean the slate and mold them the way they want to.

Thats great were a player or two away from it all. I want ZT and Jason Taylor....

with our defense, you could put Jacques strap back there and he would look like a probowler with the pass rush we would have .......

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Thomas is older, yes. But mainly, he's just way too small to play in Parcells' scheme. Bradie felt that he had to bulk up from 240 to 265 to hold up against guards every play... Thomas is 240 maxed completely out.

And I suspect that Parcells regrets waiting two years to blow up our defense when he got here, and is determined not to make that mistake (in his eyes) again.

Woods

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1957000 said:
Thomas is older, yes. But mainly, he's just way too small to play in Parcells' scheme. Bradie felt that he had to bulk up from 240 to 265 to hold up against guards every play... Thomas is 240 maxed completely out.

And I suspect that Parcells regrets waiting two years to blow up our defense when he got here, and is determined not to make that mistake (in his eyes) again.

errrrr . . . . you mean, Sparano, right? :D

khiladi

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1956959 said:
Not only could Thomas show some of these guys what it really means to be a player, but his attitude upgrade over the guy he'd replace could be immense. I saw (they had a webcam) an interview Galloway did at the Super Bowl with Ayodele. I really didn't like the feeling I got from it. He said he was out there as part of the grieving process... Yeah, right. He was out there for the parties, it was obvious.

We all know what a pretty boy Akin is, and he's one of the guys who would fly out to parties in LA during the week. I have a feeling we may have one or two too many players on this team who do too much of that kind of thing.

It doesn't mean Akin is necessarily a bad guy, but still, give me a guy who eats, sleeps, and breathes football every single day over a guy like that any day.

Actually, even if he did the latter, I'd still want him gone, because the guy just flat out sucks in coverage, especially zone...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It would be a fantastic move by us. Guy still has it IMO, and I'm pretty sure he's better than both our starting ILBs right now.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
Clove;1957043 said:
It would be a fantastic move by us. Guy still has it IMO, and I'm pretty sure he's better than both our starting ILBs right now.

I concure Clove. Lets see if this get done...

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1956959 said:
Not only could Thomas show some of these guys what it really means to be a player, but his attitude upgrade over the guy he'd replace could be immense. I saw (they had a webcam) an interview Galloway did at the Super Bowl with Ayodele. I really didn't like the feeling I got from it. He said he was out there as part of the grieving process... Yeah, right. He was out there for the parties, it was obvious.

We all know what a pretty boy Akin is, and he's one of the guys who would fly out to parties in LA during the week. I have a feeling we may have one or two too many players on this team who do too much of that kind of thing.

It doesn't mean Akin is necessarily a bad guy, but still, give me a guy who eats, sleeps, and breathes football every single day over a guy like that any day.

I could not agree more.

Not only would I welcome Thomas to the Cowboys, but Dan Morgan as well.

If healthy (big if) and willing to play at a discount (incentive laden contract), then their additions would bring not only more playmaking, but more leadership, maturity and focus to a very young Defense.

superpunk

Reaction score
Here's something miamicowboy posted in the other Thomas thread. Might have been from the same radio interview

Ohh one more tidbit I got from the interview, Thomas said he knew a while back he'd probably get released so he's already broken down film of 9 teams all 16 games that played the dolphins type of defense. The man is a film junkie who prides himself on preperation. Whether he plays for us or not, it would be foolish of us not to take a look. If the pats signed him it would be looked at as pure genius. This team needs some veteran leadership and he's hungry.

The fact that he has looked at us already as a possible destination not only is encouraging from his motivation standpoint, but the fact that such motivation would likely lead to a small contract number. He's singled out winners, and pressure defenses, with big guys up front to keep guards off him. Could lead to an easy negotiation and reasonable contract.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The only way to even remotely consider it is at a vet minimum and even then I'd be VERY skeptical cause of his health.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
superpunk;1957058 said:
Here's something miamicowboy posted in the other Thomas thread. Might have been from the same radio interview

The fact that he has looked at us already as a possible destination not only is encouraging from his motivation standpoint, but the fact that such motivation would likely lead to a small contract number. He's singled out winners, and pressure defenses, with big guys up front to keep guards off him. Could lead to an easy negotiation and reasonable contract.

Like I said before Drew Rosenhause is his agent and I'm sure he is pushing him towards Dallas.. I don't see him signing with his Rivalry NE or staying in the AFC. And he is from TEXAS so I may be wrong but I think he will be a Cowboy next year..I will be buying that Jersey 4sure!!!!!!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
superpunk;1956912 said:
Here's an article of appreciation about Zach Thomas. This is a guy you want influencing your young LBs - it's a far cry from their current "leader", who can't wait for the wounds to heal from a playoff defeat before angling for his release from the team.

Who would that be? :confused:

Porter?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1956843 said:
would he really fit as an ILB in the 3-4?.
Three of the four teams that reportedly contacted him are 3-4 teams.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I am so for this...

A smart, veteran, fiery type guy to lead the defense. Sounds like something we could use.

I don't care if he is just a situational player....

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
he will be 35 at the start of next season. anybody know how he is in coverage?

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Rampage;1957167 said:
he will be 35 at the start of next season. anybody know how he is in coverage?

Can he really be worse than the fantastic duo of James/Ayodele?