Zack Martin could be the pick

manster4ever

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but is martin that good? I feel a guard at 12 is too high unless teams feel he will be elite.

Don't take my word for it. Mayock is pretty good at this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...k-martin-could-go-in-top-10-of-2014-nfl-draft

A quality tackle can certainly go as high as 12....he's a solid guard but Rt. Tackle would be the spot for us. Make Free a backup....which is about where he belongs quite frankly at this point. If they are comfortable with Free they've learned NOTHING as an organization.

tm1119

Reaction score
Is Martin definitely a better RT than Juwan James? Is he definitely a better G than Su'a-Filo? The fact that these are (imo) legitimate questions without definite answers makes me really not want Martin at 16. I won't be necessarily upset with the pick, because Martin is indeed safe, but he just isn't a very good value at 16 if you ask me

Sydla

Reaction score
Mayock did ND home games for NBC so he's seen a lot of Martin the past two years and a lot of ND practices. If any of these "experts" would have a good read on Martin or any ND kid, it would be Mayock.

Sydla

Reaction score
Is Martin definitely a better RT than Juwan James? Is he definitely a better G than Su'a-Filo? The fact that these are (imo) legitimate questions without definite answers makes me really not want Martin at 16. I won't be necessarily upset with the pick, because Martin is indeed safe, but he just isn't a very good value at 16 if you ask me

He's better than James as a RT. No worse than equal to Su'a-Filo. And unlike those two, he can pretty much play any OL spot which is why his value his higher than those two.

Which of those two can say that they were a dominant LT at an upper echelon Div 1 school?

tm1119

Reaction score
He's better than James as a RT. No worse than equal to Su'a-Filo. And unlike those two, he can pretty much play any OL spot which is why his value his higher than those two.

Which of those two can say that they were a dominant LT at an upper echelon Div 1 school?

I watched Juwan James play a great RT in the SEC. I watched Bitonio shut down Barr, Lawrence, and FSU. I watched Su'a-Filo dominate the Pac-12. ND might be upper echelon as far as popularity, but it's not like played against some really tough schedule. ND is still independent and plays a pretty middle of the road schedule.

And I'm not saying that Martin isnt a better prospect than those 3, but is he worthy of being picks 10-20 spots ahead of them? Not at all in my opinion. I don't see the gap being that big.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You could ask similar questions about any player they would pick at 16.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Something tells me the Giants are going to snag him at 12. They need O-Line help in a bad way.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Funny how no one said anything about Martin not making it until 16 and then the Maycock article comes out and now everyone is saying, "I don't think he'll be there at 16". Power of the media.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I watched Juwan James play a great RT in the SEC. I watched Bitonio shut down Barr, Lawrence, and FSU. I watched Su'a-Filo dominate the Pac-12. ND might be upper echelon as far as popularity, but it's not like played against some really tough schedule. ND is still independent and plays a pretty middle of the road schedule.

And I'm not saying that Martin isnt a better prospect than those 3, but is he worthy of being picks 10-20 spots ahead of them? Not at all in my opinion. I don't see the gap being that big.

Auhhh, I think you should re-evaluate what you are saying here about ND. They played a pretty decent schedule. In 2013, they played Michigan, Michigan St., OU, ASU, USC, Pitt, BYU, Standord and Rutgers.

In 2012, they played Michigan, Michigan St., Miami, OU, ASU, USC, Pitt, BYU, Standord, BC and Bama.

Those are both pretty tough schedules IMO.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Funny how no one said anything about Martin not making it until 16 and then the Maycock article comes out and now everyone is saying, "I don't think he'll be there at 16". Power of the media.

No kidding.

tm1119

Reaction score
Auhhh, I think you should re-evaluate what you are saying here about ND. They played a pretty decent schedule. In 2013, they played Michigan, Michigan St., OU, ASU, USC, Pitt, BYU, Standord and Rutgers.

In 2012, they played Michigan, Michigan St., Miami, OU, ASU, USC, Pitt, BYU, Standord, BC and Bama.

Those are both pretty tough schedules IMO.

It's better than their normal cookie cutter schedule, but it's still a different world from being an SEC schedule. Or even Pac 12 this past year. I think their strength of schedule graded out right around 50th if I recall correctly.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I don't know what it is, but I am weary of Notre Dame offensive linemen. I also don't think he is a fit as a natural guard so I don't think he starts.

This guy is Logan Mankins 2.0

I'm all over this if I'm Dallas

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's better than their normal cookie cutter schedule, but it's still a different world from being an SEC schedule. Or even Pac 12 this past year. I think their strength of schedule graded out right around 50th if I recall correctly.

SEC has not been all that tough the last few years IMO. Good up top but not very good teams lower down. JMO.

manster4ever

Reaction score

VERY good pt.- I do think he'll be there at 16 regardless of Mayock's praise. I respect Mike but.....yeah, I think he'll be there and would be a SOLID get.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I think he goes to Giants at 12 or Rams at 13. Would be shocked if he lasted to 16 and this was before Mayock ever said anything.

Sydla

Reaction score

For the past two seasons, these are the strength of schedule ratings by Sagarin:

Tennessee
2013 - 10th
2012 - 25th

UCLA
2013 - 7th
2012 - 33rd

Notre Dame
2013 - 30th
2012 - 21st

Last year's wasn't as tough but still way respectable at 30th and in 2012, ND played a tougher schedule than either UCLA or Tennessee. So the idea that Martin faced a slate of lightweights and middle of the road teams while UCLA and Tennessee were facing the powers of college football would be false.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I'm a strong believer that the bet thing for the defense is an offense that can put up more points. Martin is a guy who can come in and play immediately at G and possibly take over RT at some point. Smart, good character, leader, great technical play. I can't see how we can pass on him.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I'm a strong believer that the bet thing for the defense is an offense that can put up more points..

Because it worked so great against the Broncos last season.

And even the best offense in NFL history put up 7 points against the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. It is not and never will be an offensive league. Maybe in the regular season, but defense will always win championships.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Because it worked so great against the Broncos last season.

What a weak argument.

Consistently putting up 400+ yards on O would do wonders. We sure would have liked more offense when we scored 16 against the Chiefs, 21 against the Chargers, and 22 against the Eagles.

This offense may be a player or two away from being stellar. The D might improve to mediocre with several high draft picks.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
What a weak argument.

Consistently putting up 400+ yards on O would do wonders. We sure would have liked more offense when we scored 16 against the Chiefs, 21 against the Chargers, and 22 against the Eagles.

This offense may be a player or two away from being stellar. The D might improve to mediocre with several high draft picks.

Weak argument? Did you miss the part about the Broncos being held to 7 points to the Seahawks? You're saying the best thing for a top 5 offense with the worst defense in franchise history is more offense? This is a defense wins league. Always has been. The Seahawks, 49ers, Ravens, Steelers have been owning the league for years. The great Peyton has one championship. So does Rodgers. Brady has no rings since he's come into his prime.