Zack Martin has a legit shot to earn a huge all-time Cowboys honor in 2024

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excuse my ignorance but what did he get last year?

I don't think he played very well last year he played very average to me for HIM... So given he didn't have a great year after holding Jerry hostage for more money what makes you think he's going to get that this year but again maybe he got something last year...

I didn't know about, but you know what you say you're getting tired of hearing it all the talk, silence is golden ,​
well, how about individual accolades?! I mean I'm over it, what does it matter with these guys get if they're not doing it in big games like in the playoffs?​
He was a first team All Pro in 2023. One reason he may not seem so spectacular is you rarely hear his name called. In about 1,000 snaps last year he had one penalty for a false start…on a team with a ton of penalties. He also gave up zero sacks, so we never heard his name called for that.

Zack Martin is as reliable as they come. He isn’t as physically dominant as Larry Allen was but he’s more consistently excellent than any Cowboys lineman I can remember.
Last year was the worst year of his career & he's hinting at retirement. He better have one heck of a bounce back year.

If the voters hadn't gifted him the last couple, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Last season was his worst? First team All Pro in 2023. One penalty in nearly 1,000 snaps. Zero sacks given up. And that was his worst season? Maybe it’s because his name is never called. He was graded as our best lineman last year and that was with some nagging injuries he fought through.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And to think that Jerry Jones wanted to use that draft pick to select Johnny Manziel.

Think about that. He had to be convinced, via aggressive debate, by several people in the organization including Stephen Jones, to take Zack Martin instead.

Imagine. Martin could have been an Eagle or Packer. The Browns drafted Manziel and then took a guard in the 2nd round. The Browns might have taken Martin.

One different decision could have turned history upside down.
We all have our opinions, but I see that as the moment Stephen wrestled a whole lot of control away from Jerry.

I once thought that was a good thing. Well, hoped lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He was a first team All Pro in 2023. One reason he may not seem so spectacular is you rarely hear his name called. In about 1,000 snaps last year he had one penalty for a false start…on a team with a ton of penalties. He also gave up zero sacks, so we never heard his name called for that.

Zack Martin is as reliable as they come. He isn’t as physically dominant as Larry Allen was but he’s more consistently excellent than any Cowboys lineman I can remember.

Last season was his worst? First team All Pro in 2023. One penalty in nearly 1,000 snaps. Zero sacks given up. And that was his worst season? Maybe it’s because his name is never called. He was graded as our best lineman last year and that was with some nagging injuries he fought through.
Look I think when someone says it's is worse we all saw a lesser player whether he was all pro because of his name and he did play well but he did not play up to his standards he got beat a little more often maybe not for a sack but he got pushed back into the backfield he wasn't as good in the run we're not trying to take away his flowers my man I'm just telling you a lot of us saw a different player last year This is why he's talking about retirement I think he knows it he's starting to fall off into a normal player he's not dominant like he used to be he seems I have to play twice as hard to even achieve being like good... And while he played very well last year I don't think he was a first team all pro.. But I don't watch all the other guards and I really don't care about that part but I think most of us have saw a player who wasn't the same player as he has been in the past and that comes with age but he lost that dominance that aura that no one should line up against him because they're coming right at him and he's gonna win I I didn't see that last year..

ArtClink

Reaction score
In his ten seasons as a dominant RG of the Dallas Cowboys, Zack Martin has been named a first team ALL PRO seven times and two times as a second team ALL PRO, which ties him with the great Bob Lily as a nine time ALL PRO. If Martin has another typical year in 2024, he can be the FIRST Cowboy to be named an ALL PRO 10 times!

Currently, here are the all time records for ALL PRO honors for Cowboys players:
  • Bob Lily 9 time ALL PRO (7 times first team, 2 times second team)
  • Zack Martin 9 time ALL PRO (7 times first team, 2 times second team)
  • Randy White 8 time ALL PRO (7 times first team, 1 second team)
  • Larry Allen 7 time ALL PRO (6 times first team, 1 second team)
Zack Martin has a legit shot to be the Cowboys all time ALL PRO if he has a typically great season in 2024. We have witnessed (and are still witnessing) one of the all-time greats in Zack Martin. OL get less of the spotlight, which is a shame because a guy like Martin does not come around often.

The tragic passing of the great Larry Allen was a reminder of how fortunate as Cowboys fans we have been to see firsthand greatness each Sunday. We should all enjoy watching the great Zack Martin while we can.
I have so much respect for Zack Martin. What a workhorse who rarely gets injured!

Im kinda surprised my boy Mel Renfro isn’t on your list.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have so much respect for Zack Martin. What a workhorse who rarely gets injured!

Im kinda surprised my boy Mel Renfro isn’t on your list.
Mel is one of my favorite all time Cowboys. He was a 4 time All Pro which is pretty impressive too.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Mel is one of my favorite all time Cowboys. He was a 4 time All Pro which is pretty impressive too.
I knew he had one of the best pro bowl records. One thing to note is that older players like Hayes and Renfo played 12 game seasons for most of their career. That really puts their achievements in perspective when comparing certain stats against players who played 16 game seasons.

Tussinman

Reaction score
In his ten seasons as a dominant RG of the Dallas Cowboys, Zack Martin has been named a first team ALL PRO seven times and two times as a second team ALL PRO, which ties him with the great Bob Lily as a nine time ALL PRO. If Martin has another typical year in 2024, he can be the FIRST Cowboy to be named an ALL PRO 10 times!

Currently, here are the all time records for ALL PRO honors for Cowboys players:
  • Bob Lily 9 time ALL PRO (7 times first team, 2 times second team)
  • Zack Martin 9 time ALL PRO (7 times first team, 2 times second team)
  • Randy White 8 time ALL PRO (7 times first team, 1 second team)
  • Larry Allen 7 time ALL PRO (6 times first team, 1 second team)
Zack Martin has a legit shot to be the Cowboys all time ALL PRO if he has a typically great season in 2024. We have witnessed (and are still witnessing) one of the all-time greats in Zack Martin. OL get less of the spotlight, which is a shame because a guy like Martin does not come around often.

The tragic passing of the great Larry Allen was a reminder of how fortunate as Cowboys fans we have been to see firsthand greatness each Sunday. We should all enjoy watching the great Zack Martin while we can.
Great post. If you want it to be super technical he's technically by Canton standards a 9 time first team All pro. Right now Canton would list Martin as 9 time first team all pro

Reason being Canton accepts AP, PWFA, and SN all pro selections.

This is big for positions that aren't stat based because AP historically will usually lean towards the lineman whose team made the playoffs.

So for 2015 and 2017 for example cowboys didn't make the playoffs so both Martin and Tyron made AP 2nd team. PWFA and SN which usually just pick the best player regardless of the players around them gave both Martin and Tyron 1st team all pro

gtb1943

Reaction score
Will McCiay has been asked about that situation and batted it down as exaggerated. Jerry didn't fight that hard for Manziel. he just suggested him as a name but the conversation in the room quickly changed and unanimously agreed the pick should be Martin. Stephen's part was just agreeing with the room rather than his daddy. He did nothing aggressive. :muttley:
Well of course that was the story spread afterwards.

Sydla

Reaction score
So we would have missed out on the last 10 years of Glory we have seen from Martin and his teammates?
Right.......................... :banghead:
What’s the point of this rambling?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Bob, of all people I would expect you to look at what actually happened not what the refs say happened.

They also say Micah never gets held.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year was the worst year of his career & he's hinting at retirement. He better have one heck of a bounce back year.

If the voters hadn't gifted him the last couple, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
LOL....dude. I thought these types of comments were reserved for just Dak.

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't believe that was the response for what this actually was supposed to inspire, I mean you have to take a shot at the owner, who by the way literally took advice who knew that he literally has a group of people he's confident enough in to listen to their advice and go with them more so today than even 10 years ago...

so yeah it was great that they made the right choice as they do most of the time because they do heavy group effort when it comes to making decisions for the team there's not a guy sitting up on a giant judge's pulpit with a big gavel making the independent decisions...

Which in fact, they've taken several offensive linemen, many of which fans had a problem with it first like Travis Frederick and more recently Tyler Smith and now there's people saying that Guyton is a project they should never have taken,

you know fans don't know much and they talk a lot of trash about the ownership but the one thing they seem to get right is first rounders most of the time and especially first rounders that are offensive lineman...
I wasn't taking a shot at the owner. I was taking a shot at the GM. That's the same GM that has been here through 27 seasons of not reaching a conference championship game.

If you don't think that Jerry is the one making final decisions then who has the authority to override Jerry? Jerry made the final decision albeit, reluctantly, and possibly prevented a mutiny. However, the fact that he even had to be convinced and was still upset after the draft is just another example of an amateur trying to be something he never was.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jerry-jones-was-that-close-to-drafting-johnny-manziel/

“But Manziel is special. I know him personally. I know that he is going to be a success in the National Football League, and it was a hard decision. And it is one that I will probably have for the rest of my career think about.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/jerry-jones-draft-johnny-manziel-2014-8

"I am still so damn mad,I get madder, every day, about missin' him."

"When we were on the clock, I said, if we pick the other guy — any other guy — it would be a ticket to parity, more 8-8 seasons. The only way to break out is to gamble — take a chance with that first pick, if you wanna dramatically improve your team. That's why I wanted Manziel, but I was the only guy who wanted him. I listened to everybody ... and I'm ... not ... happy ..."

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I don't believe that was the response for what this actually was supposed to inspire, I mean you have to take a shot at the owner, who by the way literally took advice who knew that he literally has a group of people he's confident enough in to listen to their advice and go with them more so today than even 10 years ago...

so yeah it was great that they made the right choice as they do most of the time because they do heavy group effort when it comes to making decisions for the team there's not a guy sitting up on a giant judge's pulpit with a big gavel making the independent decisions...

Which in fact, they've taken several offensive linemen, many of which fans had a problem with it first like Travis Frederick and more recently Tyler Smith and now there's people saying that Guyton is a project they should never have taken,

you know fans don't know much and they talk a lot of trash about the ownership but the one thing they seem to get right is first rounders most of the time and especially first rounders that are offensive lineman...
You mean like you? Where do you get off saying “fans don’t know much”? Every fan knows at least as much as you do. Stop casting aspersions at other fans as if you’re some sort of authority. You don’t know any more than any other fan. You know less than any other fans here if punctuation is a consideration.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I wasn't taking a shot at the owner. I was taking a shot at the GM. That's the same GM that has been here through 27 seasons of not reaching a conference championship game.

If you don't think that Jerry is the one making final decisions then who has the authority to override Jerry? Jerry made the final decision albeit, reluctantly, and possibly prevented a mutiny. However, the fact that he even had to be convinced and was still upset after the draft is just another example of an amateur trying to be something he never was.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jerry-jones-was-that-close-to-drafting-johnny-manziel/

“But Manziel is special. I know him personally. I know that he is going to be a success in the National Football League, and it was a hard decision. And it is one that I will probably have for the rest of my career think about.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/jerry-jones-draft-johnny-manziel-2014-8

"I am still so damn mad,I get madder, every day, about missin' him."

"When we were on the clock, I said, if we pick the other guy — any other guy — it would be a ticket to parity, more 8-8 seasons. The only way to break out is to gamble — take a chance with that first pick, if you wanna dramatically improve your team. That's why I wanted Manziel, but I was the only guy who wanted him. I listened to everybody ... and I'm ... not ... happy ..."
Johnny Manziel was drafted by the Cleveland Browns as the 22nd overall pick of the 2014 NFL draft

look at that , hmmm please don't try to use that busted narrative as some kind of logic for me because I'm very logical, it's common sense,

This happens all the time around the NFL at least he did not pick him, that's a team stop he should go in the first round, and he did..

The thing he hid from teams and the thing his head coach from his college A&M team, hookem horns :):yourock:, hid

that he didn't know how to read a playbook that he plays Sandlot football he hardly studied he didn't care and that's why he didn't make it any NFL he had some dynamic wide receivers and a dynamic team he played with and teams got duped but at least Jerry said good things about him but didn't pick him!!!

ironic that a Heisman Trophy winner was looked at as a possible great talent and picked high in the draft but somehow our owner is being signaled out he is the GM and the owner back then he's no longer that guy but I could tell you right now at least we didn't take him in the top five look at all the books that are putting the teams take quarterbacks here here's one for you that awesome great ridiculous GM and San Francisco gave up three first round picks for Lance, that's the biggest boneheaded move I've ever seen I mean the man was a reach and they gave up extra assets Jerry says something nice in the media and you're going to make it like he's so out of touch with the NFL that he's the only one that does that...

Dude you are like many fans myopic when it comes to Jerry as a GM and owner and all you're going to do is rip him as if you don't see the rest of the NFL making big mistakes even bigger mistakes in the draft just cause the man said something nice about a guy that possibly had a lot of talent I mean Tim Tebow was technically a bust but at least he did a little something but there were so many worse picks in the top three of the draft by other teams and you're ripping on our GM for making it quote that the guy had some potential because of what they saw in college? I mean was it Jerry that took Mitch trubisky or I don't know even Daniel Jones and pay him $42 million I mean there are so many quarterbacks it would take me all morning which I'm headed to the river so I don't care you know I'm incorrect you're picking on him as if he's the only owner who's ever said something nice about a guy who turned out not to be good at least he did not draft him the rest of the NFL continually drafts and overdrafts quarterbacks...

But the ironic thing here is the hypocrisy because eventually teams did pick those players like drew lock it had high hopes for them and they were all bus that is why teams like Denver The Jets the Browns eventually just gave up and then you go over and give all those draft picks up for a veteran like Prescott and then pay them maximum money and not get any return that this fan base expects..

Don't stick to my original comment you're picking on Jerry for no reason at all the man made a quote he had his eye on Mansell so did other people around the NFL it happens all the time...