Zack Martin IS visiting today

visionary

Reaction score
i would be OK with drafting martin (or an OL in rd 2/3) to start ar RG and still spending the 5th on brandon thomas and red shirt him to start at RT next year

now that would be a great OL

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think, usually the transition is the other way around. I think he could, not saying it is ideal to draft him, but could play RT. If protecting Romo is the #1 goal of the draft, I would say looking at any OL in the 1st rd, is something to do.

I'm saying Dallas did that with Flo he started in the NFL as an OG he then moved outside. If you can get the best guys on the OL then do it. Free is not going anywheres at least this season and adding a player like Martin can help both this year and future. This is not just about protecting Romo it is about building an OL that can run and pass. You want to take pressure off Romo run the ball better keep the down and distance in your favor and keep defense from just penning their ears back and coming after him.

Notre Dame’s Zack Martin wasn’t necessarily a common name when the nation’s top offensive linemen were mentioned this season, but he has the look of a first-round pick….. (Mike) Mayock said he thinks Martin can play left tackle, but “worst-case scenario, you move him inside and he’s an All-Pro guard.” – NFL.com

http://www.uhnd.com/articles/nfl-irish/zack-martin-skyrocketing-nfl-draft-boards-senior-bowl-1717/

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it is, but you are talking about LT vs RT. Not 100% of the time, but I would say, most of the time, the RT has help from the TE either with extra blocking or a chip. I think at worst, if you want to play him at RT, you would be fine.

If you're drafting a RT in the 1st round, he better not need help from a TE. Teams only do that consistently when a player is struggling.

There is not as big of a difference between RT and LT in the modern pass happy NFL. If the RT is not good, the defense will move it's top pass rusher to that side. Ware often rushed from that side.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm saying Dallas did that with Flo he started in the NFL as an OG he then moved outside. If you can get the best guys on the OL then do it. Free is not going anywheres at least this season and adding a player like Martin can help both this year and future. This is not just about protecting Romo it is about building an OL that can run and pass. You want to take pressure off Romo run the ball better keep the down and distance in your favor and keep defense from just penning their ears back and coming after him.

Notre Dame’s Zack Martin wasn’t necessarily a common name when the nation’s top offensive linemen were mentioned this season, but he has the look of a first-round pick….. (Mike) Mayock said he thinks Martin can play left tackle, but “worst-case scenario, you move him inside and he’s an All-Pro guard.” – NFL.com

http://www.uhnd.com/articles/nfl-irish/zack-martin-skyrocketing-nfl-draft-boards-senior-bowl-1717/

It goes against the odds for Martin to be a quality OT in the NFL. He would have the smallest wingspan of any OT that started in 2013 and possibly the smallest of any true starter in the past.

CashMan

Reaction score
It goes against the odds for Martin to be a quality OT in the NFL. He would have the smallest wingspan of any OT that started in 2013 and possibly the smallest of any true starter in the past.

I guess you would have to compare him to someone, to get a better or more accurate assessment. Who, in the NFL can you compare Martin to?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess you would have to compare him to someone, to get a better or more accurate assessment. Who, in the NFL can you compare Martin to?

If you want to compare him to an NFL starter with a similar wingspan, you would have to pick a Guard. I've already shown you that his wingspan is smaller than the OT with the shortest arms (Pugh).

Doomsday101

Reaction score

He impressed the heck out of the scouts during the senior bowl to move himself up quite a bit in the draft and now is looked at as a 1st rd pick.