Zack Martin IS visiting today

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a fairly useless stat without some other information. In the last 10 years, how many OTs were there that played in the NFL that had arms less than 33 inches? If the number is say, 8, then two guys out of 8 in 10 years is pretty good. If it's 200 players, then 2 out of 200 is obviously an indictment.

There are a growing number of fans who want to turn the NFL into a mathematical formula.

It's amusing to read. Like how Justin Pugh couldn't possibly play in the league.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Although Martin is worth the 16 and one of the most versatile and safest choices in the entire 2014 NFL Draft, considering the Cowboys situation on Defense only if Barr, Donald, Mosley and Jernigan are gone, Dallas takes the highly talented OLinemen.

Zack is really a solid choice but in the end Defense should be the priority for this squad.

I disagree. This D is going to be serviceable at best. Reaching for a DL ain't swinging that. Now if we can turn the O into something elite - which I think we are much closer to realistically doing, we can hide a ton of problems in D.

Nirvana

Reaction score
The thing about Martin's size is, if you want to make him a RT, why not pick Morgan Moses instead? 6'6" with 34.75" arms with good film and combine. He'll even move over to guard for you while Free plays out his final year.

If you want to make Martin a guard and let him excel at the position, great. But is there a pretty good supply of those - at least into day 2? A guy like Billy Turner maybe? The upside with Martin is that he is ready now, but do we need him now?

Sydla

Reaction score
One of the myths that I chuckle at is this whole notion that the only upside with Martin is that he is ready to play now but his ceiling is somehow limited. Like this is the best he'll get and that's it. But then guys like Turner or Moses, guys that most scouts don't think as highly of as Martin, have more upside?

It's baffling.

tm1119

Reaction score
One of the myths that I chuckle at is this whole notion that the only upside with Martin is that he is ready to play now but his ceiling is somehow limited. Like this is the best he'll get and that's it. But then guys like Turner or Moses, guys that most scouts don't think as highly of as Martin, have more upside?

It's baffling.

Because its a lot easier to teach technique and scheme understanding than it is to teach size and athleticism...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Because its a lot easier to teach technique and scheme understanding than it is to teach size and athleticism...

If a guy hasn't learned to play with good technique through 3-4 years in a major college program then he's going to have some issues in the pros. It isn't like they don't have quality coaching at that level.

CashMan

Reaction score
I don't think I have read this, in this thread yet, but he might be the RKG, he did have a C on his jersey, did he not?

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
But if he would have been he'd have been worth that pick and more.

Captain Hindsight to the rescue.

Had we have known Larry Allen would've been a HOF I'd pick him #1.

I don't dislike the prospect of Martin playing OG for us, but this team needs help in the front 4, desperately. We don't have anyone besides possibly a heathy Melton who is even able to breathe on a QB. If all of our options are out at #16, I'd have Martin listed on the card if we couldn't trade back.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't dislike the prospect of Martin playing OG for us, but this team needs help in the front 4, desperately. We don't have anyone besides possibly a heathy Melton who is even able to breathe on a QB. If all of our options are out at #16, I'd have Martin listed on the card if we couldn't trade back.

Yes. Its hindsight to repeat what I've always said about the player.

To those that were wrong, that is.

CashMan

Reaction score

It is all about value. If we get the #4 de or dt in the draft vs the #1 guard, I think I would go with the guard.

theSHOW

Reaction score
16 would be ok with me. Love the versatility. Bpa! Please Jerry don't reach Rome wasn't built in a day and this team won't be either. Of the people we have even a slight shot at I would go: 1. Donald 2. Barr 3. Jfb 4. Lewan 5. Martin

1 Donald 2 Lewan 3 trade down

RS12

Reaction score
131848.jpg

Zack Martin | Tackle
Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Age / DOB: (23) / 11/20/1990
Ht / Wt: 6'4' / 304

LATEST NEWS
RECENT NEWS

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah mentioned that he "talked to a GM who said he doesn't think Zack Martin will still be available for the Miami Dolphins at No. 19."
Martin is a versatile type that can help an NFL team right away. Whether its playing guard or tackle, Martin has a ton of upside moving forward. With the Cowboys recently hosting Martin for a visit they could easily add him in the mix at the No.16 spot. The Ravens could also utilize an athletic tackle,like Martin, in a Gary Kubiak system as he would be a perfect fit for the Ravens if they don't look to draft a WR at No. 17. Perhaps this "unnamed GM" may also be looking to gauge interest for a potential trade-up offer from the Miami Dolphins. This could also be a potential smoke screen, given the time of year. Apr 17 - 3:53 PM
Source: CollegeFootball 24/7 on Twitter

jnday

Reaction score
If a guy hasn't learned to play with good technique through 3-4 years in a major college program then he's going to have some issues in the pros. It isn't like they don't have quality coaching at that level.

I hope you are kidding. There is a big difference in the quality of coaching from some of these colleges and the pros.

jnday

Reaction score

Very good point. IMO , size, strength and athleticism can not be taught and one if the biggest gambles a team can make when drafting olinemen is hoping that power and athleticism will develop. Using Warford as an example, it was easy to see the power in game and thought he would make the jump to the pro level without much problem. He did, and he will only get better as his technique gets better. Arkin was example of hoping the power would develop any that gamble didn't turn out so great.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I hope you are kidding. There is a big difference in the quality of coaching from some of these colleges and the pros.

Some yes. But major programs? Not making the diff between no technique and good technique.

btcutter

Reaction score
Why does everyone want Free to leave? He's done well this past year. There are many team that would love to have his services. What try to create another hole in the OL?

jnday

Reaction score
Why does everyone want Free to leave? He's done well this past year. There are many team that would love to have his services. What try to create another hole in the OL?

He looked good due to the help he gets. Free is a player that needs to go. A young upgrade is needed.