Zack Martin IS visiting today

Fredd

Reaction score
IMO, if we took an OL in round 1, then it may keep us away from there for the rest of the draft (not counting 7th+ round)...there are too many needs on defense to put more than one more resource on the OL...but, they do need to grab at least one...if it is our first, then you would expect that person to play and not be a rotational guy, thus, no need for more in this draft....if they took martin in the first, what do you do if Xavier falls into our pick in the second?????

Gaede

Reaction score
I'm OK with Martin. I wouldn't prefer him because of the many options at G later in the draft. If we get stuck at 16 with no options though, we could do worse.

Nirvana

Reaction score
That can make the transition to tackle as well.

He's projected as a Pro Bowl caliber guard so that's his position for the Cowboys according to reports. His arms are under 33" and in the last ten years almost every OT (except 2) to make the Pro Bowl has at least 34" arms. He is also 2 inches shorter than ideal (6'6".) Some teams are projecting him to RT anyway, but not the Cowboys. He could play there in a pinch, or center for that matter.

They will likely address the RT position with another pick, plus have interest in seeing what Weems and Parnell can do this year. This will probably be Free's last year here.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Let me think about this. Bernadea signed an 11M contract that pays him 1.6 this year and 1.5 next year but, no guaranteed money or Roster Bonus in 2015. After that, he's an FA again. Leary is under contract this year and is an exclusive rights option in 2015 but, he also has a degenerative knee problem and while his contract is very reasonable now, there is no guarantee how long he will be able to play or that he will stay healthy. Add to that the fact that we will absolutely have to pay him more if we want to keep him long term. Behind those two, there isn't really much.

Our QB is coming off of a fairly major back surgery and has sustained major injuries the last two years. He represents the best and really, only hope, for this team to win at the QB position. He's also in his second year of a 120M contract.

Does it make sense for the Cowboys to be looking at Guard? I'd say, yeah. In fact, it has to be one of our top priorities in this draft IMO.

Sydla

Reaction score
He's projected as a Pro Bowl caliber guard so that's his position for the Cowboys according to reports. His arms are under 33" and in the last ten years almost every OT (except 2) to make the Pro Bowl has at least 34" arms. He is also 2 inches shorter than ideal (6'6".) Some teams are projecting him to RT anyway, but not the Cowboys. He could play there in a pinch, or center for that matter.

They will likely address the RT position with another pick, plus have interest in seeing what Weems and Parnell can do this year. This will probably be Free's last year here.

This is a fairly useless stat without some other information. In the last 10 years, how many OTs were there that played in the NFL that had arms less than 33 inches? If the number is say, 8, then two guys out of 8 in 10 years is pretty good. If it's 200 players, then 2 out of 200 is obviously an indictment.

Nirvana

Reaction score
This is a fairly useless stat without some other information. In the last 10 years, how many OTs were there that played in the NFL that had arms less than 33 inches? If the number is say, 8, then two guys out of 8 in 10 years is pretty good. If it's 200 players, then 2 out of 200 is obviously an indictment.

I don't know the answer to that, but it at least says what the ideal measurables are for an OT, and why the Cowboys project him to guard.

burmafrd

Reaction score

it's not like they are short as Costa's are. One inch is NOT going to make that much difference.

The Boys refused to draft Mike Singletary because he was 1 INCH short of their standard for LB.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I would not have a problem with Dallas drafting him with the 16th pick.

Martin would look good with Frederick and Smith.

I love the idea of having all that youth and skill up front. 3 1st round linemen in 4 years would also be a big sign that things are changing in Dallas, in terms of what they value in the draft... even if the occasional 2nd round TE still sneaks through.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I seriously wouldn't mind another 1st on the O-line. If Cowboys picked Martin, I would walk away from Day 1 completely happy.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Not a sexy pick but this kid is a great player. He lacks ideal size but is very good with technique and very smart. Plays nasty.

I can't see what people don't like about him. He just screams "can't miss!"

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not a sexy pick but this kid is a great player. He lacks ideal size but is very good with technique and very smart. Plays nasty.

I can't see what people don't like about him. He just screams "can't miss!"

Same thing people didn't like about Logan Mankins when the Pats drafted him. I agree, it's really weird but it happens all the time.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Same thing people didn't like about Logan Mankins when the Pats drafted him. I agree, it's really weird but it happens all the time.

Yep. Except when the Pats grab someone who is not seen as a first round choice by most pundits, everyone thinks "wow, the Pats are really smart - they saw something others didn't"

Stepnowski always comes to mind too. Didn't have great size but was very smart and played with perfect technique.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yep. Except when the Pats grab someone who is not seen as a first round choice by most pundits, everyone thinks "wow, the Pats are really smart - they saw something others didn't"

Stepnowski always comes to mind too. Didn't have great size but was very smart and played with perfect technique.

Not then. People were literally laughing at that pick and Pats fans were booing. I was amazed because, while he was a small school prospect, it was clear that technically and physically, he was sound top to bottom. Of course, being from Fresno State, I had the opportunity to watch him much more then most fans. Fresno St. was a member of the WAC at the time. I felt like it was easy to see that he would probably be pretty darn good in the NFL but it didn't matter. I thought he was a steal at 32.

jnday

Reaction score

There have been thousands of college olinemen that didn't make it due to size and strength issues at the pro level. Very few can overcome physical limitations. I have read reports saying that Martin is not the highest rated guard on the Cowboys list and he doesn't have the size for the tackle position. I think there is much better value than Martin at 16 due to his physical shortcomings.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
There have been thousands of college olinemen that didn't make it due to size and strength issues at the pro level. Very few can overcome physical limitations. I have read reports saying that Martin is not the highest rated guard on the Cowboys list and he doesn't have the size for the tackle position. I think there is much better value than Martin at 16 due to his physical shortcomings.

There have been thousands of college olinemen that didn't make it due to intelligence and technique issues at the pro level. Very few can overcome mental limitations.

Of course, Martin is not tiny. He's 6'4" 309lbs. His arms are a little shorter than you'd like in an OT but not by much. He's a few lbs shy of what you want in an OG but again, not by much.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Not then. People were literally laughing at that pick and Pats fans were booing. I was amazed because, while he was a small school prospect, it was clear that technically and physically, he was sound top to bottom. Of course, being from Fresno State, I had the opportunity to watch him much more then most fans. Fresno St. was a member of the WAC at the time. I felt like it was easy to see that he would probably be pretty darn good in the NFL but it didn't matter. I thought he was a steal at 32.

Oh I recall several "experts" lauding the pick.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Zach Martin - 6'4" 308 lbs.
Oh I recall several "experts" lauding the pick.

I did not think he would be a 1st round pick. I thought he would be a 2nd round pick but you gotta give NE credit. They new what they had in him. He's been one heck of a fine player. He'll probably be in the HOF once all is said and done.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Although Martin is worth the 16 and one of the most versatile and safest choices in the entire 2014 NFL Draft, considering the Cowboys situation on Defense only if Barr, Donald, Mosley and Jernigan are gone, Dallas takes the highly talented OLinemen.

Zack is really a solid choice but in the end Defense should be the priority for this squad.