Twitter: Zack vs Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Martin's way better.

I said this a year ago and had to dodge tomatoes.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Martin's way better.

Clearly someone that did not see LA in his prime.

A closer look at the stats show that he gave up a number of sacks late in his career when he had lost much of his mobility.

gtb1943

Reaction score
As good as Zach is at pass protection, he is nowhere near LA as regards blowing people off the ball. NO ONE was as good as LA at that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A closer look at the stats show that he gave up a number of sacks late in his career when he had lost much of his mobility.
I'm old enough to remember Dorsett playing.

Martin's better.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Zack isn't in the same zip code as Larry. There is no such thing as the Zack Martin Flu. :lmao2:
When I read the title, I was like "Pu-lease!"
When Zack Martin gets Hall of Famers (like John Randle) saying they never wanted to make Larry Allen mad to provide him extra incentive to destroy you or having Justin Tuck confess Allen treated him like a child trying to stop a bull, then we'll talk about comparing the two.
Larry Allen has replaced John Hannah as the greatest OG eva!

quickccc

Reaction score
Eh. Different guys, both great in their own rights. But give me Larry's nastiness and dominance and I can live with the 45 sacks allowed.

I wonder if these stats were based off Larry at OT when he was asked to play there.

Otherwise from all his peers and opposing coaches, no OG can compare to how dominate Larry Allen was.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Are you not aware of the famous - some say infamous as well as irritating - sarcasm of the one and only Risen Star? :huh:

RS12

Reaction score
As a technician Zack is as good of a Lineman I have seen. I am not gonna see he is better than LA, but I am not going to say he is worse either.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Zack is darn good, when he was next to Frederick they were set in the middle. Larry was a monster though, I just wished he played with a health Eric Williams. You can't miss with either just glad they were and are both Cowboys.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
This from Fox Sports: He played every position on the line except center, gave up only 3.2 sacks per season — the best of any offensive lineman of his era.

Don't want to take anything away from Martin because he's been one of the top couple of guards in the business during his time here and like Allen, he will be a first-ballot Hall-of Famer. Allen with his raw strength and tenacity, though, was just a joy to watch as he beat defensive linemen into submission.
Very nice find and appr the info!

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Martin's way better.

I won't say way better. This is just a Ford vs Chevy or Yamaha vs Mercury (c'mon boat peeps), F16 vs F18 argument.

Bottom line is they're just different players. Larry Allen was just plain a beast, an ultimate beast! GREAT athlete and played with ultimate power.

Zach Martin is the ultimate technique and technician of the position . . . maybe EVER! Plays 99.9% mistake free. Knows his craft better than anyone and executes it flawlessly.

If you could meld the two then, OH KRAP ! We're just blessed as COWBOY fans to have been able to enjoy them both! I'm just pleased as puddin to be able to type this !

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This is why I hate comparing players of different eras, it's almost impossible to do. No disrespect at all to Zach Martin, but Larry Allen was in the top 1% of the top 1% of freak athletes. The guy was simply built differently, and I can only imagine him lining up to play in todays game at G with so many smaller/quicker DTs. Zeke might even still be leading the league in rushing yards if he had Larry Allen bulldozing lanes for him on the left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.