Zeke’s PFF Grade Explained

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I read it and still disagree. We run the ball alot and defenses know it. Our offense goes through zeke and every defense gears up to try and stop him. The only game our offense became a passing offense was vs the giants when he didn't play. Can go on an on but the point is I don't like their system and think it's full of nonesense.

Charron, if defenses are "gearing up for Zeke", then why dont they load the box against him? Zeke sees a league average % of Carries against loaded boxes.

In theory you'd think that Zeke sees more, but in actuality he doesnt. Gurley doesnt see the least amount of loaded boxes because he's the worst RB in the league, schemes dictate how many men in the box not RBs.

And if our offense goes through Zeke, and he didnt play the Giants like you said why did we do sooo much better without him offensively?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not dismissing their rankings, but I do have 2 questions:

1) It seemed like Zeke was hit in the backfield a lot this past season. Do they consider that when ranking "elusiveness"?
2) Does it seem like they ranked our O-line a lot higher than they should have?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

1) It seemed like Zeke was hit in the backfield a lot this past season. Do they consider that when ranking "elusiveness"?

I would have said yes, but footballoutsiders also has our Oline graded high in run blocking.

Pass blocking is a whole different story, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

The amount of times hit in the backfield might also have to do with (surpringly) Zeke spending 2.88 seconds behind the LOS per carry. Which is one of the higher ones in the league, so he invites being hit behind LOS while he waits for the play to develop.

conner01

Reaction score
I read through, lots of assumptions and grading that didn't make sense. when they had Gurley and Zeke as low performers abut nick chubb 2nd....that should tell you everything. talk to coaches, DCs and get the scoop. not PFF, which as some one said, bunch of interns who never played football, making subjective grading without knowing the scheme, the play, the design, the players responsibilities, etc. whole lot of guess work.
Who was #1
When a guy who has 900 yards is better than the guys leading the league in rushing you have a problem with your grading system

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Here's the problem:
We use a Massey-type rating system using PFF run-blocking and run-defense grades to adjust our play-by-play grading by opponent and rank offensive lines in run blocking (they are what help Mike Renner create lists like these).​

They don't adjust by offensive pass grades and predictability. Our problem for two years now is that teams can feel free to key against the run because our pass game isn't a threat, and particularly on run downs in run formations.

Yes, we have good run blockers. But when teams *know* you're going to run, and don't fear the pass, it will still be tough sledding.

irishline

Reaction score
Because you're not reading...

They specifically state the reason he's winning rushing titles is due to the fact he's getting more carries than other RBs in the league. His season was far from spectacular, his fumbles are a problem, and he doesn't score enough despite the amount he touches the ball.

12 out of the last 15 NFL leading rushers led the league in carries. The only three who didn't were all less than 10 carries behind the person who led the league in rushing. This is not a new development, never has been, probably never will be. To use that as a reason for a rating is stupid.

Not saying he was spectacular, or couldn't have been better, but that statement is somewhat a ridiculous argument since it happens about 90% of the time.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would have said yes, but footballoutsiders also has our Oline graded high in run blocking.

Pass blocking is a whole different story, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

The amount of times hit in the backfield might also have to do with (surpringly) Zeke spending 2.88 seconds behind the LOS per carry. Which is one of the higher ones in the league, so he invites being hit behind LOS while he waits for the play to develop.
Aikman and others refer to that as being "patient". :cool:

I'm really surprised they still grade the O-line that high, even in run blocking. You'd think if they were that good, Zeke wouldn't need to be so "patient". I could be remembering incorrectly, but I could swear that in his first 2 seasons, Zeke was getting to the 2nd level untouched considerably more often.

aria

Reaction score
Basically their rating system is terrible. Zeke can win a rushing tittle 2 out of 3 years and still not break their top 100 players list. Seems pretty stupid.
It seems pretty stupid that people consistently reference Zeke “winning” the rushing record without acknowledging he had more carries and A LOT mire fumbles than any other RB. Believe it or not, he also ran behind a better O line than most. I do agree he definitely should be in the top 100 though.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
12 out of the last 15 NFL leading rushers led the league in carries. The only three who didn't were all less than 10 carries behind the person who led the league in rushing. This is not a new development, never has been, probably never will be. To use that as a reason for a rating is stupid.

Not saying he was spectacular, or couldn't have been better, but that statement is somewhat a ridiculous argument since it happens about 90% of the time.

Which is why the "rushing title" is silly - unless you're breaking records, it's simply not a great measurement. When you have 50 to 60+ more touches than the RB behind you, no crap you're going to be leading the league in rushing. Who puts emphasis on passing yards when a QB is throwing 600+ times a season? Was Big Ben the best QB in the league last season?

There are much more crucial stats - why the heck isn't Zeke breaking off runs more than 41 yards? Why isn't he scoring more? Why is he fumbling so much? This is a top 5 pick with a team built around the run - he needs to produce more. This is supposedly a "special back" - I even saw someone on here trying to compare his stats in his first 3 seasons with freakin' Jim Brown and Dickerson.

And PFF isn't just lowering his grade because of that, they explained why there isn't an emphasis put on that.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
That's what most of this forum is....
I've played football and I still won't judge a player. I know I don't have that expertise.
I know good play when I see it, but I leave the long-term judging to you.

You guys are better than I at this game.

SSoup

Reaction score
PFF is a bunch of dudes who have never played football grading people who play football... Not my cup of tea but hey to each their own.
I suppose you think mathematicians are just people who have never been numbers, so their work can't be credible either?

bandfan

Reaction score
"51 total starts by a fourth-round quarterback out of Mississippi State during that stretch." They must have a REALLY low opinion of 6th round compensatory pick QBs from Michigan I suppose....

aria

Reaction score

No and no. I don’t know about the end of the season but I know about 3/4ths through it, Saquon had more contact in the backfield quicker than any other RB. You could argue he dances back and forth more, which is partly true, but that’s also because he had no where to run.

The O line rankings are pretty legit, our fans tend to live in the past (Romo ring a bell ;)) and if the O line isn’t as good as ‘16 then it sucks. Even with the injuries, our O line was much better than average.

blumayne38

Reaction score
Same for Barkley - no one is fearing Eli these days, yet Barkley scored and would have topped Zeke in yards if he had similar carries and did top Zeke in TDs despite having far less touches than Zeke on the year.

These excuses for Zeke are lame - he's a really good/great player, but he's simply not a special back unless he has the durability of Smith. That's to be seen. The fact he's already lost a step isn't a good sign.
:facepalm:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Zeke is running against 8 men at the line of scrimmage. The focus on the defensive team is to
stop Zeke from running the ball.

This is a myth - stop posting it or provide actual evidence of these numbers.