Zeke’s speed comes and goes

jwitten82

Reaction score
This situation kind of reminds me of Michael Bush... Raiders power back from about 10 years ago, had some good seasons, but he got old and washed.

At the first and only NFL Veteran's Combine, he ran a 4.9 40 in his late 20s. Never played a snap of pro football after that.

I imagine if you put Zeke on a stopwatch, he probably also runs a 4.8 or 4.9 at this point. Dude is washed up.
I forgot all about that. I wish they'd bring the veteran combine back

quickccc

Reaction score
Honestly when Zeke carries the ball, i cannot get excited. i think of it as a " grunt " run .
Hard, Angry runs that's more blue collar effort.

- He is an unstoppable bull at the goal line as he has tremendous lower leg power drive and he gets low center of gravity
that and his blitz blocking makes him still valued.

- But can that offset a lack of burst in-out holes, edge runs, and draw plays ..he's a lumberer at this point.
Average pure runner who has never been overly elusive , ..and there's nuhtin special about him as a receiver outta the backfield

- Teams are not nervous and do not have to game plan for Zeke.
Average burst and so-so elusiveness
And he's making way too much as one of top paid RBs, thus expected big pay cut.
But that still leaves an average " backup " RB.

- That's why i'm spllit between finding a new RB in the mid to late rounds with a instinctive playmaker with burst that can be
combined with Pollard, .go with Malik Davis as the new backup, ... or keep on pay cut Zeke who is average as a runner but valuable
as a short yd/goal line runner.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Zeke went downhill way to fast. He should still be playing on Derrick Henry's level.
He still has heart and desire but why did that speed decline so rapidly?
He rarely breaks tackles anymore and can be brought down by the slightest grab of his legs.
That contract was the end of him.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you high? Where did I say anything about them being able to seal the edge? Get out of your feelings Cowboyslover. You’re nuts.
Ah...You remember my very old original moniker. That...is weird dude.

When the Admin accepts and ENCOURAGES.....a name change.... and stalker weirdos do not...it's weird.

And yes...I noted you did "NEVER" say anything about being able to seal the edge. That's why I said it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That contract was the end of him.
How often is that the case for cowboys and maybe even NFL players?

Especially Cowboys.

Too bad we burnt him up posing as an offensive lineman. Or as some idiots like to say "glorified FB". Oh...you don't remember us doing that? Mkay how cute.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ah...You remember my very old original moniker. That...is weird dude.

When the Admin accepts and ENCOURAGES.....a name change.... and stalker weirdos do not...it's weird.

And yes...I noted you did "NEVER" say anything about being able to seal the edge. That's why I said it.
What’s your point? You are Cowboyslover until you stop acting like him. Why would I forget that was your name it was just your name last year. I’m not calling you Steve.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This situation kind of reminds me of Michael Bush... Raiders power back from about 10 years ago, had some good seasons, but he got old and washed.

At the first and only NFL Veteran's Combine, he ran a 4.9 40 in his late 20s. Never played a snap of pro football after that.

I imagine if you put Zeke on a stopwatch, he probably also runs a 4.8 or 4.9 at this point. Dude is washed up.

To compare Zeke Elliot to Michael Bush is absolutely ludicrous. Zeke had a better career than Michael Bush after a single season in 2016. Michael Bush's best year had him at 977 rushing yards. Bush was an absolute Jag while Zeke is a two time rushing champ, former first team all pro, and is essentially tied with Derrick Henry for most rushing yards in the NFL since he entered the league.

Odds are that Zeke will break into the top-20 in career rushing yards all while playing in an air raid era that has completely devalued the RB position.

Zeke is certainly entering the twilight of his career, but we forget how good the guy's time with Dallas has been overall. For all of our "fans" to rip him mercilessly after all the great plays he's given us over the year is whack and narrow minded. RB careers are brief outside of a few greats.

blueblood70

Reaction score
To compare Zeke Elliot to Michael Bush is absolutely ludicrous. Zeke had a better career than Michael Bush after a single season in 2016. Michael Bush's best year had him at 977 rushing yards. Bush was an absolute Jag while Zeke is a two time rushing champ, former first team all pro, and is essentially tied with Derrick Henry for most rushing yards in the NFL since he entered the league.

Odds are that Zeke will break into the top-10 in career rushing yards all while playing in an air raid era that has completely devalued the RB position.

Zeke is certainly entering the twilight of his career, but we forget how good the guy's time with Dallas has been overall.
:hammer: :popcorn:

Hadenough

Reaction score
You think Tony has proven himself as a "primary back"?

He has SURELY proven himself as a #2....and fill in #1.

Didn't he get winded.....filling in as #1?

When Tonyt has to run Zeke's up the middle plays he sucks as much. It's there for you to see if you want to see the truth.

And Kellen has never asked Tony to block as much as he demands zeke does. That I don't get but whatever.

Why do you hate Zeke so much and inflate Tony so much? Weird dude. Really weird.
I don't hate Zeke at all. I actually wanted him to get paid and thought he was a bargain at 15 mil a season considering top WRs were getting 20 mil a season. I think Pollard is a pretty good back but not a bell cow back. I think combined with Malik Davis that would be a solid tandem. My problem with Zeke is he has a lot of wear and tear on him and isn't the same guy he was early on. His vision looks like he can't find the hole or when there is no hole he never bounces it outside and ends up running into a pile up for a yard. He never runs away from anyone anymore. That first season he was outrunning LBs. He is a great blocker but that's about it.

Toro9

Reaction score
He is faster this year it seems by a half step.
But he never has recaptured the burst off the ball he had in 2016. Honestly I'd go Pollard/Davis 90%
Is Zeke hurt? Why wouldn't you use him? He's not great anymore but he's still good.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

Odds are that Zeke will break into the top-20 in career rushing yards all while playing in an air raid era that has completely devalued the RB position.

Zeke is certainly entering the twilight of his career, but we forget how good the guy's time with Dallas has been overall. For all of our "fans" to rip him mercilessly after all the great plays he's given us over the year is whack and narrow minded. RB careers are brief outside of a few greats.

I'm not talking about career production, I'm talking about loss of speed as that career wears on.

Bush lost about 3-tenths of a second off his 40 by the time he was done, and Zeke has taken a lot more hits than him.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't hate Zeke at all. I actually wanted him to get paid and thought he was a bargain at 15 mil a season considering top WRs were getting 20 mil a season. I think Pollard is a pretty good back but not a bell cow back. I think combined with Malik Davis that would be a solid tandem. My problem with Zeke is he has a lot of wear and tear on him and isn't the same guy he was early on. His vision looks like he can't find the hole or when there is no hole he never bounces it outside and ends up running into a pile up for a yard. He never runs away from anyone anymore. That first season he was outrunning LBs. He is a great blocker but that's about it.

And yet.....he still has a 4.4 career average while Emmit has 4.2. So I am sorry if I don't get your "zeke sucks" crap. You'd hate emmitt just as much as you hate zeke.

Maybe there are other factors involved in zeke not playing to your expectations. Dak gets a pass for a horrid o-line...but not zeke? Then you claim you don;t hate zeke.

Okay. Sure....

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not talking about career production, I'm talking about loss of speed as that career wears on.

Bush lost about 3-tenths of a second off his 40 by the time he was done, and Zeke has taken a lot more hits than him.
You would have hated Emmitt Smith as much as you hate Zeke. Werid.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Zeke hurt? Why wouldn't you use him? He's not great anymore but he's still good.
Zeke set the bar pretty high in 2016. Not many rookie running backs create an NFL QB like zeke did for Dak.

Zeke isn;'t that anymore....very few, if any...are. Ever.

But he is still a valuable asset and team mate to this team.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How dare you talk good about zeke. Wonder where the Dak fan boys are....defending our players from verbal assaults.

Except for Zeke. All good to curbstomp HIM.