Zeke Elliott coming in for visit tomorrow

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
1) confident in Romo's health/longevity, 2) confident in the team's chances of drafting both Elliot and its QB of the future, or 3) thinking that you can win with a below-average QB, below-average defense, and a great running game.

If you want Elliot at #4, which of those describes you?

robjay04

Reaction score
Zeke is good but he should go at the end of the first.

I think it shows more about the talent in the draft. There really isn't many players that you look at as all pro caliber players. Bosa should go in the top 5 but most see him as a 8 sack, strong run defense guy.

If Elliott went last year, he would've went around where Melvin Gordon went. If he came out the year before, he would've went even lower. I don't dislike Elliott at 4 if we want to win with Romo only because I know all of the other options are more flawed at their particular position. No other player at four is going to help us win games next season more than Elliott.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We don't need to draft a running back at 4.

As long as this OL stays healthy, we'll be a Top 10 rushing team, and with decent QB play, Top 5. We need to improve pass defense, and we need to get a QB who can be both insurance for a Romo injury in the short term and his eventual replacement.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It really would help the defense too. Keep them off the field. Like 2 years ago.
This will come as a surprise to you, but 2015's offense ranked among the top 3 teams in time of average possession.

2015 offense 3:00 (3rd)
2014 offense 3:02 (2nd)

The difference in total TOP in 2015 was mostly due to the fact that the defense couldn't get off the field.

2015 defense 2:44 (20th)
2014 defense 2:34 (7th)

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Elliott is as good as a pick as anyone else around 4 in my opinion. Next to Tunsil, he is the safest pick in the draft as the other top prospects all have question marks surrounding them.

Elliott can carry the rock for 15 to 20 touches a game with Dmac and Morris splitting another 10-15 carries.

We have the best OL in the league; I want to pound the rock so much that defenses may as well lay down for us in the 4th quarter when our own defense is tired.

Would seem like the wise thing to do if QB is off the table at 4................get back to a run heavy offense and Romo doesn't get hit as much.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We don't need to draft a running back at 4.

As long as this OL stays healthy, we'll be a Top 10 rushing team, and with decent QB play, Top 5. We need to improve pass defense, and we need to get a QB who can be both insurance for a Romo injury in the short term and his eventual replacement.

I agree.............take Goff at 4 and problem solved.

If QB is off the table at 4, then Zeke would probably be my next choice...........Ramsey cant catch and Bosa cant get sacks.........don't like either at 4

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I like the idea of really taking advantage of our great OL and putting an absolute stud back there like Zeke. Romo needs a dominating running back to take the pressure off himself. Zeke is a top 10 pick and I'm ok with taking him at #4. Having a RB like him reminds me of Murray in 2014.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I like the idea of really taking advantage of our great OL and putting an absolute stud back there like Zeke. Romo needs a dominating running back to take the pressure off himself. Zeke is a top 10 pick and I'm ok with taking him at #4. Having a RB like him reminds me of Murray in 2014.

Well Murray was a 3rd rd pick. Not pick no 4.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Well Murray was a 3rd rd pick. Not pick no 4.

So what? He became a stud RB and became the leading rusher on 2014 with the next guy 500+ yards behind him. Zeke is a special RB like Murray. I don't see us getting lucky and finding a RB like Murray/Zeke in the 3rd round this year.

Jake0

Reaction score
Murray was much higher than 3rd round on their board. We didn't even have a dire need for an RB that year but still took him because of the value. We can do the same thing this year.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Zeke is the best pick in the Draft for the Dallas Cowboys....after Ramsey!

Tunsil before Elliot generically in general.

Last edited:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
You can play that game with every position, not just RB. Where was Tom Brady drafted? Tyrann Mathieu? Richard Sherman? Jason Witten? Josh Norman? Justin Houston? Antonio Brown?

I would rate Elliot as a 9 and a Mcfadden, Morris, Dunbar collaboration as a 8.5 so your not getting enough of an upgrade with your no 4 pick to justify it's usage.

It is simply a matter of opinion and I see other better uses for our rare opportunity to grab a unique talent.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I would rate Elliot as a 9 and a Mcfadden, Morris, Dunbar collaboration as a 8.5 so your not getting enough of an upgrade with your no 4 pick to justify it's usage.

It is simply a matter of opinion and I see other better uses for our rare opportunity to grab a unique talent.
I can live with that answer. Personally I would have Elliott as a top 5 talent on my draft board, and would go BPA when i pick. BPA has just always been my preference. That said I would completely get drafting for need and taking a guy like Bosa. For as much fighting that happens on this board i'm not sure there is a wrong answer here. We should end up with a damn good player out of this draft class.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score

I have to disagree. the all around skills of Elliot trump those already on the Cowboys Roster to a 6.4, give Zeke a 9.6. (Scale 1-10.5) Blocking, zone running - three down RBs like Ezekiel aren't every season, but there are about ten next year.

RBs for 2017 are UNREAL! That said, GOTTA luvs sum DL late in 2016.

Last edited:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I have to disagree. the all around skills of Elliot trump those already in the Cowboys Roster to a 6.4, give Zeke a 9.6. (Scale 1-10.5) Blocking, zone running - three down RBs like Ezekiel aren't every season, but here are about ten next year.

That said, GOTTA luvs sum DL late in 2016.

That is another reason why I don't want to take Elliott. Next years draft is loaded with good RB's and we can probably get one with a much later pick. Plus it just isn't as big a need as other positions. This defense needs help. Having Romo and Dez back should put our offense right back where it was when we were serious contenders.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Agree, and RB is out top need in the draft IMO but there are something like 5 - 8 good prospects you can draft in the 2nd or 3rd round who could be excellent players in the long run.