Twitter: Zeke headed to Cabo

glimmerman

Reaction score
The Cowboys could prevent him from playing almost indefinitely if he does not show up.

He is under contract for 2 more years.

If he does not report before game 11 of 2019, he won't accrue a season towards free agency.

Even if he made it past the 2 years and played just enough games to accrue time towards free agency, the team could then use the franchise tag on him for at least 2 more seasons.

He would not get paid while holding out.

If franchised, the tag amount would count against the Cowboys cap in the off-season, but if he didn't report that season, then the tag amount comes back off the Cowboys cap and they can roll all of that cap space to the following year.

FYI - Le'Veon Bell last the entire 14.5M franchise tag amount that he would have received for playing in 2018. Even after skipping the season, the Steelers could have Franchised him again. The contract he ended up getting was likely not much if any larger than what they would have paid him. It was less than Gurley's contract.
If he screws this team and his team mates (which I think he will just fall short of) then I would do just that. Fine him and let him sit. Tag him after that. Would turn into a huge distraction but will show other players from then on out that we don't put up with that. I am just mad right now that he is even thinking about doing this before he played his 4 year deal. If he said I am not playing for the 5th year option or under a tag then I would respect that. But pulling this now before his 4 year rookie deal is done isn't heard of. He aint that special. His agent sees other getting paid big money and knows they have the room to do it so he wants to get all he can whether it leaves us enough to put a team around him or not.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought that's where he went before. Still a bad look. He will report before August 6th if he wants this year to count and be vested. Then he can miss so many games. If I am the FO I would fine him unless they have been in contact and the FO knows about it. He walks through TC and don't play preseason anyways. At some point if I am JJ then I tell players that I wont negotiate will certain agents. Like D-Laws agent that had him not do his surgery until he was signed. Cost us him for up until opening day.

I’ve been seeing conflicting reports on that August 6th report day so idk anymore. I understand why Zeke is doing this tho.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just know a good football player when I see it. Funny how Ajayi has already lead a team to a Super Bowl and has a ring....

And now we have people trying to justify keeping a blockhead that intimidates minimum wage Vegas security guards because he is that secure as a man.

Wake up people...Zeke is not worth the trouble. :rolleyes:
:laugh::laugh:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I think it would be funny if the Cowboys signed Ajayi.

If they could do it without guaranteed money I would be screaming for them to do it.

It would be a great "F(reak) You" to Zeke's agent.

And you would be sticking it to these guys....:igglestrophy:

908533258.jpg.0.jpg

aikemirv

Reaction score
Not sure why this is news......FO was/is waiting on a counter offer. I have to assume they've responded. You didn't expect him to report until this is settled, did you? Not saying I agree but it is what it is.

To be honest, as selfish as Zeke action may seem, extending him now is not all bad. Here's why, yes he still owe the Cowboys two years before becoming a UFA but if we've decided he's part of the long-term plan, extending him NOW buys two years of less wear and tear on a contract he was going to get anyway. He just turned 24, so extending him now will allow us to move on when he's 27, which actually the age argument Stephen Jones had with given Murray a new deal.

Think about it, we can still get Dak done this year also. Cooper has pretty said he's not signing until next year anyway. Bottom line, it all doable after all. Probably why Stephen doesn't seem concern at all.......
Yep, I have been saying this all along about extending him now. It is the best move for the Cowboys. Gets his best years at the going rate and then you let him go. But with the holdout, I am not in his camp on the deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it would be funny if the Cowboys signed Ajayi.

If they could do it without guaranteed money I would be screaming for them to do it.

It would be a great "F(reak) You" to Zeke's agent.

Same here. I'd like Elliott and his agents to know this:

Demarco Murray put up over 1,800 yards behind this line.

Darren McFadden revitalized his career and was #4 in the league in rushing, after a late start when the team wasted time with Joseph Randle.

And Ajayi has proven to be a very good back when healthy.

Two weeks after narrowly escaping yet another suspension, Elliott thinks this is a good move?

OK, let's see how things go for him when he loses his spot at the table here in Dallas to other running backs, and then has to worry about finding someone willing to pay him despite his antics and risk of suspension?

Last edited:

aikemirv

Reaction score
The highest average Zeke has ever had in a season was 5.1 a carry....Ajayi's highest was 5.8..just 2 years ago.

Not only could Ajayi do what Zeke brings to the table...I'd bet money...he would do it better...for less. :popcorn:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AjayJa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliEz00.htm

He really can't hold Zeke's jockstrap but go on.......I wonder when the last time a DC said, you know, we gotta stop Ajayi to beat them!

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
And after doing something like that you would destroy your locker room with the players watching you do that to their friend, and no agent would send their free agent clients to the cowboys. Terrible idea

He is under contract. I understand he wants a new deal but holding his "friends" and the locker room hostage is not how to go about it. Jerry has never been a cheap guy, he pays his stars very well. But even he can't have the 3 highest paid players a their position in the league. Zeke should be in camp, period. This hold out is just a slap in the face to the team that has stood by him and fought for him. Like I said, it's not even a contract year right now. He isn't justified in this hold out and i bet behind closed doors, his "friends" are pissed about it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I’ve been seeing conflicting reports on that August 6th report day so idk anymore. I understand why Zeke is doing this tho.
Why. Its his 4 year of his rookie contract that he agreed to. Yes he has out played every other RB in the league. But you were smiling when you never took a snap in the NFL and signed the back of that 16 million dollar signing bonus check. If they are offering you more than gurly then sign the contract. The rams were dumb to give him that contract and now other teams have to offer more. SJ said he had the money set to the sign for Elliot, it starts with gurly money and goes up. So that opening offer was gurly money.. Not a low ball offer.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone is going to pay the most talented HB in the NFL.
Let's hope its Jerry and family.....
If it's going to be this year, it will have to be the Joneses or he sits out and makes nothing.

As far as a trade, I do not think any team would give them a 1st for him because the number of teams willing to meet his salary demand is damned few, add a 1st rounder and the list declines even further, maybe down to 0.

What they need to do is grow a pair and tell his agent he either shows up or sits out and makes nothing. Then I move forward having the 3 RB's that did show up fight it out for pecking order. And I tell my OC to take the team out of the 90's and get it ready for the 20"s.

There is only one reason they should capitulate. They think the window is open right now to reach through and get the ring. I don't think it is because I do not see them any better than 4th, more like 5th in the NFC, with Elliott. But there are a certain number of fans that are all about "go for it". That's not me but I am OK with that because what's the worst that can happen they don't make it?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it's going to be this year, it will have to be the Joneses or he sits out and makes nothing.

As far as a trade, I do not think any team would give them a 1st for him because the number of teams willing to meet his salary demand is damned few, add a 1st rounder and the list declines even further, maybe down to 0.

What they need to do is grow a pair and tell his agent he either shows up or sits out and makes nothing. Then I move forward having the 3 RB's that did show up fight it out for pecking order. And I tell my OC to take the team out of the 90's and get it ready for the 20"s.

There is only one reason they should capitulate. They think the window is open right now to reach through and get the ring. I don't think it is because I do not see them any better than 4th, more like 5th in the NFC, with Elliott. But there are a certain number of fans that are all about "go for it". That's not me but I am OK with that because what's the worst that can happen they don't make it?

We could get two 1st rounders for Zeke easy.....can we replace a talent like Zeke esp when you have Dak as your QB ......NOPE.....

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
That is incorrect.

A player does not accrue a year of service if he is not on the roster (53 or IR) for at least 6 games.

If a holdout player reports before game 11, then he accrues a season towards free agency.

Your point is about accruing a recognized season toward his contract. If you sign a 6 year deal, and dont show up until week 12 of the first year, you still have another 6 years you owe the team after that.

His August 6th point is for a player who has played fewer than 4 years in the nfl, which is the threshold for removing the 'restricted FA' label. His contract will still count as an accrued year if he shows up on August 10th as by your point, but he will need to then play 5 years in order to be an unrestricted FA as opposed to the normal 4 year rule, because his fourth year didn't count toward that specific nuance.

However, this won't matter to Zeke, because his rookie contract is already 5 years, and if they don't extend him he's likely franchised anyway. So losing a year of unrestricted free agency won't matter, as he'll be a Cowboy for 5-6 years regardless.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We could get two 1st rounders for Zeke easy.....can we replace a talent like Zeke esp when you have Dak as your QB ......NOPE.....
Can we replace some fans, especially one who promised he would disappear for the whole season if Dak were given a record franchise contract extension? Yep. :D:p

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Get me that team on the phone and they can have him today.

But the fact is that you're wrong about this too.

No team in the league would do that. Not to then have to make the guy the highest paid running back in the league. And have to hold their breath every night hoping he doesn't do something stupid to get himself suspended again.

Nobody will do that.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yep, I have been saying this all along about extending him now. It is the best move for the Cowboys. Gets his best years at the going rate and then you let him go. But with the holdout, I am not in his camp on the deal.

I'm Ok as long as it gets resolved quickly like by first or second preseason game. My concern is this not getting resolved by the first regular-season game and him reporting but needing a couple of weeks or so to get in shape or risk injury.

bb721

Reaction score
Has to report by August 6th

No he doesn’t. That deadline only applies to accruing another year towards free agency. Assuming that at some point this year, hopefully sooner rather than later, they reach a deal on a contract extension the free agency issue becomes a moot point for the next several years.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can we replace some fans, especially one who promised he would disappear for the whole season if Dak were given a record franchise contract extension? Yep.

Please remind me when I promised my disappearance?