Twitter: Zeke Looking Lean

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yeah that thing looked like a repeat of what happened to Dak to be honest. I thought Zeke was done for the year on that play.. I was shocked to see him hop back up and limp the sideline then double shocked when he came back into the game..
I was in the Dominican watching that. With an open bar and free nachos. It was a grand old time lol

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This is never going to happen with Moore calling the plays. He doesn't want to play that style. So as long as that is the case the Cowboys are going to be a pass heavy team and those of us who prefer smash mouth football are going to be frustrated. I've come to terms with it. It can be an entertaining brand of football to watch I just don't think the Cowboys can win it all playing that way.

That's what you get (usually) when you have an ex-quarterback as the OC. Moore knows passing, so he coaches that way. Though not always, for all of Garrett's faults he used Zeke, and before that Murray, when the running game was going well.

If Zeke starts the season ripping off 5 yards a carry and 100 yards a game rushing and the Cowboys are winning every game, not sure Moore would "ride that horse" while it worked...

phildadon86

Reaction score
That's what you get (usually) when you have an ex-quarterback as the OC. Moore knows passing, so he coaches that way. Though not always, for all of Garrett's faults he used Zeke, and before that Murray, when the running game was going well.

If Zeke starts the season ripping off 5 yards a carry and 100 yards a game rushing and the Cowboys are winning every game, not sure Moore would "ride that horse" while it worked...
Garrett was also amazing at going away from the run when it was working. I can’t remember what year but there was a game I think against Philly where Zeke was ripping off 7-8 yard runs at will. Brain trust decided to start throwing….makes no sense

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Too bad there's one simple fact that Dallas has enough weapons so that they don't have to go with a heavy run or heavy pass offense - they are, or at least should be, fully capable of running a balanced offense. Using Zeke and Pollard and Lamb and Gallup and Schultz and other receivers properly they could not have a 1,400 yard rusher or 1,400 yard receiver and still win.

But I have not seen evidence that McCarthy and Moore understand how to use their personnel properly...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Garrett was also amazing at going away from the run when it was working. I can’t remember what year but there was a game I think against Philly where Zeke was ripping off 7-8 yard runs at will. Brain trust decided to start throwing….makes no sense

When that happens it usually means he was over-thinking, the running game was working so he decided to try and get ahead of the defense by changing to a pass attack.

Don't know for sure if that was the case in the situation you described, of course, just an observation from watching football for many years...

phildadon86

Reaction score
When that happens it usually means he was over-thinking, the running game was working so he decided to try and get ahead of the defense by changing to a pass attack.

Don't know for sure if that was the case in the situation you described, of course, just an observation from watching football for many years...
Oh it happened a lot. Detroit game rings a bell too. Coughed up a 20 point lead

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Oh it happened a lot. Detroit game rings a bell too. Coughed up a 20 point lead

This happened to Garrett for the same reason it happens to Moore.. I call it "formula football" or "paint by numbers offense." It means that the QB is armed with automatic reads and audibles when they see certain defensive alignments. The problem is that defense's soon figure out that you are doing this so they use it against you. In Romo's case they would crowd the line before the snap, let Romo audible to the automatic pass, then just before the snap drop back into coverage. As he matured in the game, Romo quit letting them play this game with him. He would get up the line out of the huddle with 12-15 seconds left on the play clock, make a million calls that the defense had no chance of deciphering, then run the best play for the alignment he manipulated them into. Dak needs to get to that level of command of the offense. The OC cannot do it for him. He has shown signs of being able to do it but he needs to get more consistent at it. I still think he places too much faith in Moore and needs to overrule some of the calls that get sent in. Mind you Romo didn't really get to that level until 2013.. a full 10 years after he entered the league. We better hope Dak doesn't take that long..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We better hope Dak doesn't take that long..

Romo was undrafted, from an FCS school.
Dak was a 4th rounder who played against big time SEC schools.

He's had long enough to develop. At this point he's not going to improve but small amounts.

We'll see if that's going to be enough to win a SB...

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This happened to Garrett for the same reason it happens to Moore.. I call it "formula football" or "paint by numbers offense." It means that the QB is armed with automatic reads and audibles when they see certain defensive alignments. The problem is that defense's soon figure out that you are doing this so they use it against you. In Romo's case they would crowd the line before the snap, let Romo audible to the automatic pass, then just before the snap drop back into coverage. As he matured in the game, Romo quit letting them play this game with him. He would get up the line out of the huddle with 12-15 seconds left on the play clock, make a million calls that the defense had no chance of deciphering, then run the best play for the alignment he manipulated them into. Dak needs to get to that level of command of the offense. The OC cannot do it for him. He has shown signs of being able to do it but he needs to get more consistent at it. I still think he places too much faith in Moore and needs to overrule some of the calls that get sent in. Mind you Romo didn't really get to that level until 2013.. a full 10 years after he entered the league. We better hope Dak doesn't take that long..

You could be on to something. The huddle and presnap command.

Are we SURE the o-line penalties are ALL on the o-line? IF we aren't confident in the play called, the audible, or the veracity...wouldn't that put doubt in your head? Maybe you weren't called for the right play and position?

I dunno...I'm just asking. People do make an issue, rightly so...with o-line penalties...especially the timing of them. Maybe there's more than meets the eye test.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Are we SURE the o-line penalties are ALL on the o-line? IF we aren't confident in the play called, the audible, or the veracity...wouldn't that put doubt in your head? Maybe you weren't called for the right play and position?

I dunno...I'm just asking. People do make an issue, rightly so...with o-line penalties...especially the timing of them. Maybe there's more than meets the eye test.

One thing that gives me hope is how well the offense operates in no-huddle when basically Dak is making all the calls. The offense has been nigh unstoppable in that mode much the same way it was when Romo used to take over and run no huddle and remove Garrett from the equation. Moore follows Garrett's style in that he treats the players like they're all equal. The pass plays are designed to "hit the open man" when in a lot of cases they need to be designed to get the ball in the hands of your horse. Or exploit a favorable matchup because the starting corner just limped off and was replaced by a rookie. Moore, just like Garrett before him fails to take advantage of these things and it drives me crazy. Remember the Thanksgiving game when Cooper had two TDs in the second quarter against Ronald Darby of the WFT? I talked all week about how we needed to come out and attack that matchup because Cooper had owned Darby every time he faced him when he was in Philly.. So we ignored that matchup the whole first quarter then finally go after Darby and net two quick TDs. Then abandon that matchup the rest of the game.. If I had any hair left I would have pulled it out that day.

GINeric

Reaction score
Zeke definitely looks in very good shape. Probably the best since his rookie year, but can he stay healthy? If Zeke stays healthy and our Oline improves this year, Zeke should be able to rush for 1,100+ yards with Tony Pollard gaining another 600+. The big question of this 2022 season is will Zeke still be around next year and moving forward due to his very expensive remaining contract? Will the Cowboys offer him to take a paycut to stay, and would Zeke accept it or leave? It first comes down to if Zeke can remain healthy and productive.

Nope!!! Zeke will be picked up by the Buccaneers, Rams, or Chiefs next season and get a Superbowl ring within the next 2 years following.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Generally OL penalties result from a mismatch they are getting beat from the false start because they are worried and hold because they are beat..Generally, not saying what you said could not also be a problem.