CFZ Zeke needs some Respect

links18

Reaction score
Zeke’s not the guy he was in 2016. No argument there. He’s 27 now and has taking a beating. He’s had some minor injuries that have hampered him the last year or so. 27 is getting up there for a RB but 27 is still young. It’s all about how you take care of your body. Hell, Brady’s 42 and still competing at a high level.

What Zeke has morphed into later in his career is a ground and pound short yardage machine. When was the last time you saw Zeke get stopped on 3rd and 1? It’s happened, but it’s been awhile. If you have a ground and pound RB who can get that 1st down on 3rd and 1 then you have something. The defense knows it’s coming, yet Zeke gets it done. And the key to that statement is that he’s done it with great offensive lines and bad offensive lines. You may not like the nose rings, the fro, the “Feed Me”, but the dude balls out on Sunday’s. We’re lucky to have him. Now his next contract is not going to be anything close to his 1st contract, but I for one hope the Cowboys extend him at a Cowboy friendly contract next year. He’s a huge part of the offense.

I read this and honestly thought an old thread from 2018 had been bumped for a second. :D

vlad

Reaction score
The fascination with overrating zeke is interesting, it’s like a forum full of helicopter moms. The funny thing is he’s cool enough but for me these posts make are so cringe worthy i have ended up disliking him.

Is a 90m contract not enough respect? Is the ignoring his uncanny ability to go down on first contact from like a cb not respect? I think he’s like historically in receiving.

Zeke seems like a team first guy so i hope you all are right And I’m 100% wrong cuz let’s get like 5 superbowls and I’ll be stoked if he’s leading the charge but i just don’t see it. I don’t see any difference between him and say Demarco Murray (who actually had a better best year by a mile with a rookie zack Martin, not peak)

In any case go Zeke and cowboys.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pollard has 25 short yardage (3 yards or less to go) and goal to go carries this season.
Zeke has 40 such carries.. even after missing two games he has near double the number.

But never allow the facts to get in the way of a good narrative.
You and your ilk are the only ones who considers it some kind of debate. For me it has always been about winning games and always will be and never about one vs the other. We have two good backs.. we need to use them.

Yes Pollard has goal line and short yardage carries.. and he is successful on a lower percentage. That is an undeniable fact. Spin it however you want.

Is this some new debate that you are trying to warp into? LOL

If I had 4th and goal from the 2 or the 1 I would give the ball to Zeke over Pollard. I think his experience in those instances and his power are more effective there. But thats about it buddy. Pollard gets the ball on nearly EVERY other scenario.

But again, we dont need to pay 18 million dollars for a short yardage back. Can get a good one for probably about 2 or 3 million per year.

And yah, you and I have been debating for 3 or 4 years about Pollard and Zeke. Its been a landslide for my opinions and analysis on both guys. Thats just the truth of it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Perhaps that's true but if you have a lot of carries where the MOST you can get is one or two yards (because it's a touchdown) it's going to have an effect on your average. No I don't think Zeke is ever going to be a 5 ypc type back. But this team doesn't need a 5 ypc type back. It needs a "successful" type back. On Zeke's 40 short yardage and goal to go carries he has 22 first downs and 7 touchdowns. That's a 72.5% success rate. On Pollard's 25 he has 13 first downs and 3 TDs. A success rate of 64%. That's certainly not bad.. but it's not as good as Zeke. Pollard offsets that with more big runs.. which is great.. Pollard actually has a better ypc average even on those plays, owing to having broken a couple of long ones in those situations. But again, he has failed to get the needed yardage 36% of the time to Zeke's 27.5% of the time. Barry Sanders had a lot more big runs than Emmitt Smith.. but Emmitt's chain moving running style was more conducive to winning football.

That's really all it boils down to for me. Explosive plays are great.. but moving the chains is the meat and potatoes of any offense. I prefer winning over highlight reels. But that's just me.. to each his own. To his credit I think Pollard has gotten MUCH better at the chain moving runs this year. But he still has a ways to go. He's never going to be as powerful as Zeke and Zeke is never going to be as quick and explosive as TP. The Cowboys are blessed that they have them both. I'm not interested in this whole "we gotta git rid of one or the other" narrative.. Why the hell do I need to break up a winning combination?

Zeke doenst have a high average because he doenst have the ability to make people miss, break tackles, or make big plays. There is NO rule that says you have to go for 1 or 2 yards on 3rd and 1. The GL stuff sure, but how many GL carries does Zeke get where he actually scores and that matters? How many TD's does he have this year? And how many of those were from short and goal? 4? 5 at most? So your talking 4 or 5 runs that screwed his average. Thats nothing.

Winning combination? You were the guy saying that Zeke should be getting 20 carries a game and dominating the run share. Heck you were still touting Zeke as a top 5 RB in the NFL.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would put his vision and footwork on par with Emmitt, but Emmitt was a workhorse who never slowed down despite all the pouding. Zeke's vision is incredible, except he just can't do what he was able to do in 2016-18.

Zekes vision is incredible? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Now THAT was funny.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The fascination with overrating zeke is interesting, it’s like a forum full of helicopter moms. The funny thing is he’s cool enough but for me these posts make are so cringe worthy i have ended up disliking him.

Is a 90m contract not enough respect? Is the ignoring his uncanny ability to go down on first contact from like a cb not respect? I think he’s like historically in receiving.

Zeke seems like a team first guy so i hope you all are right And I’m 100% wrong cuz let’s get like 5 superbowls and I’ll be stoked if he’s leading the charge but i just don’t see it. I don’t see any difference between him and say Demarco Murray (who actually had a better best year by a mile with a rookie zack Martin, not peak)

In any case go Zeke and cowboys.

Pollard is the one leading the charge. Zeke is the #2 back now.

vlad

Reaction score
Pollard is the one leading the charge. Zeke is the #2 back now.
Somebody should tell Jerry and Stevie… maybe we can start a “buy pollard merch” initiative that will change their minds

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Somebody should tell Jerry and Stevie… maybe we can start a “buy pollard merch” initiative that will change their minds

Why call Jerry? I have the stats to prove it. They give their little friend the first few carries to coddle his ego, then its the Pollard show after that.

Heck people are calling Pollard one of the best backs in the NFL now. He might even make the pro bowl. Although I think thats a reach.

vlad

Reaction score
Why call Jerry? I have the stats to prove it. They give their little friend the first few carries to coddle his ego, then its the Pollard show after that.

Heck people are calling Pollard one of the best backs in the NFL now. He might even make the pro bowl. Although I think thats a reach.

These are the guys that extended jaylon…. Sadly it seems like their egos are fueling this more than anyone else’s

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
These are the guys that extended jaylon…. Sadly it seems like their egos are fueling this more than anyone else’s

Do you think Jerry is dumb enough to bring back Zeke next year? Would you pay Pollard and if so, how much?

What would you do at the RB position next season?

vlad

Reaction score
Do you think Jerry is dumb enough to bring back Zeke next year? Would you pay Pollard and if so, how much?

What would you do at the RB position next season?
Yes Jerry loves zeke and his Jersey sales.

I would pay Pollard because i think he’s a true dynamic difference maker that opens up the offense…salary tricky but i do think he’s more valuable to team success than say Gallup (who i like a lot). Think realistically he’ll get offers for 12-15/year. I don’t know who else will be on the market to complicate times things,

my guess is if anything they franchise him.

How would you answer those questions?

i believe you and i are on The same page fwiw.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes Jerry loves zeke and his Jersey sales.

I would pay Pollard because i think he’s a true dynamic difference maker that opens up the offense…salary tricky but i do think he’s more valuable to team success than say Gallup (who i like a lot). Think realistically he’ll get offers for 12-15/year. I don’t know who else will be on the market to complicate times things,

my guess is if anything they franchise him.

How would you answer those questions?

i believe you and i are on The same page fwiw.

Zeke is gone. Dont even think twice about it.

Pollard I try to bring back but my offer is 8 or 9 million tops for 2 or 3 years. If not I move on from both. Sadly, Jerry blew it with Pollard. Should have wrapped him up this offseason for cheap.

If we cant sign Pollard:

Offer a guy like Mattison the for the Vikings 3 million and a guy like Foreman for the Panthers like another 3 or 4 million. Maybe 1 or 2 years each. Then I go out and use a 3rd or 4th round pick on a back. 2nd ONLY if some stud falls.

Its a very good year for FA backs so we can get some talent for cheap.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Zeke is gone. Dont even think twice about it.

Pollard I try to bring back but my offer is 8 or 9 million tops for 2 or 3 years. If not I move on from both. Sadly, Jerry blew it with Pollard. Should have wrapped him up this offseason for cheap.

If we cant sign Pollard:

Offer a guy like Mattison the for the Vikings 3 million and a guy like Foreman for the Panthers like another 3 or 4 million. Maybe 1 or 2 years each. Then I go out and use a 3rd or 4th round pick on a back. 2nd ONLY if some stud falls.

Its a very good year for FA backs so we can get some talent for cheap.
I think Zeke will be back on a new contract. He’s too valuable both on the field and in the locker room. Pollard is probably going to be unaffordable.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think Zeke will be back on a new contract. He’s too valuable both on the field and in the locker room. Pollard is probably going to be unaffordable.

It's going to play out however it's going to play out. I am not about to let worrying about the offseason moves spoil my enjoyment of this potentially special season. I can worry about next year... next year...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It's going to play out however it's going to play out. I am not about to let worrying about the offseason moves spoil my enjoyment of this potentially special season. I can worry about next year... next year...
Amen brother.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
love the way he’s running like he’s got a dump in his pants ya know but it’s working,

we sure to hit them with the hammer and then pollard would come in and catch them
Off guard but maybe them doing in reverse will be even better. Get em chasing pollard for a series or two and then zeke comes in and lowers the boom for the sure 4.4 yards a pop

Bro. They feed him so much . . . what do you expect?

stinkface

Reaction score
Henry had 2-4 games under 3YPC this year.,,so fans need to keep perspective on how different type of backs do different things..
Henry looks much slower this year. Before he did not need much of a hole to power thru. Those days might be done. Even a bulldozer can breakdown over time. Titans should have never traded Brown. They let an All Pro go to save a few bucks.

stinkface

Reaction score
I would put his vision and footwork on par with Emmitt, but Emmitt was a workhorse who never slowed down despite all the pouding. Zeke's vision is incredible, except he just can't do what he was able to do in 2016-18.
Emitt took very few direct hits and had better balance then Zeke. Emitt also had a lead blocker in Moose who blew linebackers out of the hole. Different runner for sure.

vlad

Reaction score
Perhaps that's true but if you have a lot of carries where the MOST you can get is one or two yards (because it's a touchdown) it's going to have an effect on your average. No I don't think Zeke is ever going to be a 5 ypc type back. But this team doesn't need a 5 ypc type back. It needs a "successful" type back. On Zeke's 40 short yardage and goal to go carries he has 22 first downs and 7 touchdowns. That's a 72.5% success rate. On Pollard's 25 he has 13 first downs and 3 TDs. A success rate of 64%. That's certainly not bad.. but it's not as good as Zeke. Pollard offsets that with more big runs.. which is great.. Pollard actually has a better ypc average even on those plays, owing to having broken a couple of long ones in those situations. But again, he has failed to get the needed yardage 36% of the time to Zeke's 27.5% of the time. Barry Sanders had a lot more big runs than Emmitt Smith.. but Emmitt's chain moving running style was more conducive to winning football.

That's really all it boils down to for me. Explosive plays are great.. but moving the chains is the meat and potatoes of any offense. I prefer winning over highlight reels. But that's just me.. to each his own. To his credit I think Pollard has gotten MUCH better at the chain moving runs this year. But he still has a ways to go. He's never going to be as powerful as Zeke and Zeke is never going to be as quick and explosive as TP. The Cowboys are blessed that they have them both. I'm not interested in this whole "we gotta git rid of one or the other" narrative.. Why the hell do I need to break up a winning combination?
Thx for breaking down the stats like that, cool.

And i agree emmitt vs barry consistency vs long runs.

Do you have statistics on standard deviation in yards per carry? Much like emmitt Barry I’d imagine emmits/zeke are lower (more consistent meat/potatoes) vs Barry/tp being higher/more volatile

4 ypc consistently better than 1,1, -2, 16 imho.