Zeke v Ramsey

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I think every pick was a CHARACTER PICK in 2016. Zeke vs Ramsey? Zeke appears as grounded as Jaylon Smith. Ramsey appears to be full of himself. I like all our picks. I would had preferred Jonathon Bullard over Maliek Collins, but like all this picks.

you didn't hear zeke after the OSU loss this year I would assume.
they both are confident players... and both are true talents..regardless of what team they are on.

BoysWin

Reaction score
you didn't hear zeke after the OSU loss this year I would assume.
they both are confident players... and both are true talents..regardless of what team they are on.

Nope - heard nothing, previously......... all talented kids who are now millionaires............

canters

Reaction score
I have a guess that over his first contract, Zeke will out perform Ramsey and make JJ look smart. But I predict Dallas will wear Zeke out and use him up to the point that at 27 yrs old, he might be done and allowed to walk to look for Demarco money. Ramsey will play 10 yrs or more, Zeke I do not know.

conner01

Reaction score
three year totals for both players

Elliott - 43 touchdowns
Ramsey - 3 interceptions

Case closed

I think that's exactly what it came down to. One made play after play at his position but was at a position no team really wants at 4. The other was a tremendous athlete but not a lot of big plays in his college career. To me it came down to potential vs proven. And while I really didn't want a RB at 4 I do think we made the safest pick

conner01

Reaction score
I have a guess that over his first contract, Zeke will out perform Ramsey and make JJ look smart. But I predict Dallas will wear Zeke out and use him up to the point that at 27 yrs old, he might be done and allowed to walk to look for Demarco money. Ramsey will play 10 yrs or more, Zeke I do not know.

Probably right. Rb's tend to have shorter careers but I think it was about a proven commodity vs a great athlete, and while Ramsey will no doubt have a longer career I think the potential for Ramsey to not be an elite player is much higher also. Don't think he will be a bust which to me is thrown around way too much.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Fair or unfair, what the Elliott pick tells me -- me, not anyone else -- is the team has more faith in Linehan than Marinelli. That is, the team believes Linehan can do more things with Elliott than Marinelli could with Ramsey. It also tells me the team has faith in Marinelli's ability to do more with less.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Ramsey, in my opinion, was the #1 defensive prospect on the board. I liked Bosa, but didn't love him, and wasn't the biggest fan of Buckner. And maybe I'm still burned from Claiborne, but I really didn't want to spend such a high pick on a defensive back. Elliott just makes too much sense.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
The team got it right this time.

A DB (or any DB for that matter imo) with only a handful of impact plays doesnt belong to go top 5 in the draft.

canters

Reaction score
Probably right. Rb's tend to have shorter careers but I think it was about a proven commodity vs a great athlete, and while Ramsey will no doubt have a longer career I think the potential for Ramsey to not be an elite player is much higher also. Don't think he will be a bust which to me is thrown around way too much.

Oh no, Zeke will not be a bust. Maybe a beast, but not a bust.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Ramsey, in my opinion, was the #1 defensive prospect on the board. I liked Bosa, but didn't love him, and wasn't the biggest fan of Buckner. And maybe I'm still burned from Claiborne, but I really didn't want to spend such a high pick on a defensive back. Elliott just makes too much sense.

Yeah, I wouldn't have complained either way. It really boils down to whether EE's presence on the team adds more points than Ramsey's presence would have prevented. Everyone will have their theories on that, but proving it scientifically would be very difficult assuming both play at a high level.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't have complained either way. It really boils down to whether EE's presence on the team adds more points than Ramsey's presence would have prevented. Everyone will have their theories on that, but proving it scientifically would be very difficult.

One of the big issues at the RB position is injuries. You take somebody like Chris Johnson who lit up the league early on and just a few years later was kind of considered a joke. Happens quite a bit in the league.

We are looking for a ton of production from Zeke to justify the pick and not considering the injury and depreciation rate of RB's in this league.

I think with Ramsey you get basically a Byron Jones clone who has more experience and has been healthy his entire career. So you would have 2 guys that could play man or zone and have elite skills to take on an Antonio Brown or Rob Gronkowski. And you could move them around at each spot in the defensive backfield and plan according to the opponent you're facing.

I just think that there is more likely another Zeke out there, perhaps even in this draft, compared to another Ramsey out there. Hell, next year you have Fournette and McCaffrey coming out and IMO, McCaffrey is clearly better than Zeke is right now.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
three year totals for both players

Elliott - 43 touchdowns
Ramsey - 3 interceptions

Case closed

Ludicrous.

They are two completely different positions. RB's are RB's because they have to produce numbers. There's far more to being a DB than making interceptions. Maybe we should draft kicker next time in the first round because kickers put up so many points.

I would be far more concerned about the system Zeke played in college where the QB can keep the ball and run with it himself. That means the backside defender(s) have to play contain. We don't have that in Romo.

Could have had that with Lynch though.

Oh well.

YR

conner01

Reaction score
Oh no, Zeke will not be a bust. Maybe a beast, but not a bust.

I was talking about Ramsey. I don't think he will be a bust either but the risk of him not being an elite player is much higher than Zeke. I wasn't a fan of RB at 4 but Zeke was by far the safest pick

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Nope - heard nothing, previously......... all talented kids who are now millionaires............

"Ezekiel Elliott threw Urban Meyer and the Ohio State coaches under the bus after loss to Michigan State"
http://fansided.com/2015/11/21/ezekiel-elliott-calls-out-urban-meyer/

The guy wore a belly shirt to the draft for crying out loud....lol

But again, I think him and ramsey are both super talented, future pro bowlers, and confident.

I've watched almost every FSU game since 87.... as far as everyone bugging out over 3INT's..... A lot of QB's stayed away from that kid last year, at times he would shut down one side of the field....... He played the star position the two previous seasons.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I was talking about Ramsey. I don't think he will be a bust either but the risk of him not being an elite player is much higher than Zeke. I wasn't a fan of RB at 4 but Zeke was by far the safest pick

I think they liked Ramsey, but what it all boiled down to was Elliot had fewer question marks. Dallas seems to put a lot of effort in not busting with the first round pick, and ironically, they seem to like to gamble with 2nd round picks.

conner01

Reaction score
I think they liked Ramsey, but what it all boiled down to was Elliot had fewer question marks. Dallas seems to put a lot of effort in not busting with the first round pick, and ironically, they seem to like to gamble with 2nd round picks.

I totally agree

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Ward, Kaya, Brissett and Watson disagree

yeh, that comment was off base for sure. considering that he was there for three years, and was a major player in the national championship season.

instead of everyone trying to justify our pick by down playing another... just sit back and watch what each talent develop into.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Here is my thinking.

The Cowboys basically had a choice here. Ramsey, Elliot, Tunsil, and Bosa.

Ramsey
From a defensive stand point, he makes sense. A Carr replacement and a great athletic player. From a playing stand point, I'm not sure he is going to translate into a super star CB. The guy is just missing instincts or something. He will be decent, but not great. From a drafting stand point, he is not an instance impact player for the Cowboys. The Cowboys lack any pressure on the defensive front. This means Ramsey (or any DB) has to cover longer and well. That helps nobody but the opposing offense. Ramsey would have minimal effect to the Cowboys defense this year.
Elliot
Without a doubt, an instance impact player. Both from an offensive and defensive stand point. On offense, he will wear down a defense and keep drives alive. From a defensive stand point, the less the defense is on the field, the better situation it is for the defense. (rest and the opposing team can't score if they don't have the ball) From a draft stand point, you don't want a short career player that high in the draft, but if the Cowboys manage him well. Elliot can play 10 years and if that happens, he is without question well worth the high draft pick investment.
Tunsil
Wow, this kid could have easily went top 5, but there is no antidote for stupidity. Once stupid, always stupid. I don't care how much of an athletic freak you are. You also must be a football player and have at least a pea sized brain to be successful at the NFL level. This guy... yeah well. Pass. (I had no idea how stupid he actually was until draft day)
Bosa
Instant impact player, though I don't think he will be anywhere near as good out of the gate as the draft hype machine made him sound. His greatest strength is holding his point of attack. He shows some laterally measurable s that sound good, but you don't see them in his play. That would suggest he can be taught to the skills that exercise those abilities. He doesn't have them today though. From a draft stand point, we need a better front and he would help. Especially against the run, but I think he will be good player, but not a great one.

The end result is that Elliot made the most sense both short and long term. He is a generational talent in the mold of some of the workhorse backs of the past. If the Cowboys manage his touches correctly, this guy with this offensive line will join the Cowboys running back pantheon by 2026. Elliot was the right pick at #4.