Zeke v. Saquon shades of Emmitt v. Barry

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Zeke vs. Saquon debate could end being the Emmitt vs. Barry debate of this generation.

Emmitt ran behind what is probably considered the greatest offensive line of all time playing for what was one of the greatest teams in terms of offensive talent of that time. He had uncanny vision and quickness so he saw the hole as it was developing and would be through it in an instant. Aside from that, his grit, determination, and durability were probably his greatest attributes.

Barry was undeniably the more physically gifted in terms of speed, strength, and agility. However he played for one of the worst offensive lines on what was perennially one of the worst teams in the league.

I think we may find the situation with Zeke and Saquon (time will tell) to be very similar. Zeke, who isn't as physically gifted as Saquon (dude is a freak of nature) will likely play most of his career behind a far superior offensive line and probably put up better rushing numbers.

Zeke is playing with a rising star at QB with a ton of weapons on offense, while Saquon is playing for a team with a lame duck QB who will in all likelihood be ending his career this year, and has little offensive firepower outside of himself and Engram.

If they should both be durable enough to play for the next 7 years or so, I think you will see Zeke edge out Saquon in rushing numbers but there will be an argument to be made that Saquon was the better all around back.

Should be fun to watch and discuss over the years...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Zeke vs. Saquon debate could end being the Emmitt vs. Barry debate of this generation.

Emmitt ran behind what is probably considered the greatest offensive line of all time playing for what was one of the greatest teams in terms of offensive talent of that time. He had uncanny vision and quickness so he saw the hole as it was developing and would be through it in an instant. Aside from that, his grit, determination, and durability were probably his greatest attributes.

Barry was undeniably the more physically gifted in terms of speed, strength, and agility. However he played for one of the worst offensive lines on what was perennially one of the worst teams in the league.

I think we may find the situation with Zeke and Saquon (time will tell) to be very similar. Zeke, who isn't as physically gifted as Saquon (dude is a freak of nature) will likely play most of his career behind a far superior offensive line and probably put up better rushing numbers.

Zeke is playing with a rising star at QB with a ton of weapons on offense, while Saquon is playing for a team with a lame duck QB who will in all likelihood be ending his career this year, and has little offensive firepower outside of himself and Engram.

If they should both be durable enough to play for the next 7 years or so, I think you will see Zeke edge out Saquon in rushing numbers but there will be an argument to be made that Saquon was the better all around back.

It will be interesting for sure, but I have to admit that unlike Barry Sanders 'feast or famine' game, I can't find a flaw in Barkley's. He looks like the absolute complete package to me, and I'm willing to say I think he's better than Zeke.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Barry Sanders had 2 all pro lineman and 3 pro bowl lineman when he came into the NFL.
Emmitt had none, they became all pro and went to the pro bowl after Emmitt came in. Nate Newton often says this. They were nobody's until Emmitt came along.

As for Barry having more strength than Emmitt, then answer this. Why did they remove Barry inside the 5 yard line, and Emmitt was in there every time inside the 5 year line, 10, and 20 yard line too.
Barry's speed was a non factor there, maybe his elusiveness could work at times. But it was his lack of power that was why he was not in there as much.

But people need to get over this Ol vs. OL crap. But it is the only argument they have which is a false argument.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe Emmitt had something to do with those lines looking so great. I'm not sure Barry had more strength than Emmitt.
I agree Emmitt helped with making the line look as great as they did, but I have to think that Barry could have made them look pretty darn special too. I don't know for sure without some kind of metric like a max squat or whatever but just from my shaky memory and the eyeball test I have to think Barry had Emmitt beat in lower body strength. His legs were like tree trunks. Emmitt had a better stiff arm though.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will be interesting for sure, but I have to admit that unlike Barry Sanders 'feast or famine' game, I can't find a flaw in Barkley's. He looks like the absolute complete package to me, and I'm willing to say I think he's better than Zeke.

I need to see Barkley this year, and maybe next for me to say that.
But he is the NY offense at this point. And is a huge factor in a defensive game plan.

But give me Zeke and his steady production over feast to famine. Maybe Barkley gets over that this year and gets those runs of being more consistent on 4 and 5 yard runs. Than 3, -2, 4, 15, -1, 5, 6, -4 type of stuff. I can see him certainly improving on that as the NY OL gets better. Then they can be better compared more fairly. But not right now.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I can see that, but, Zeke is quicker than 22 and Barkley is not as quick as Sanders. One is 4.47 and one is 4.4. Not a ton of difference, one guy takes the quicker shorter steps and appears to going twice as fast, but he really isn't. I'd take either guy.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Barry Sanders had 2 all pro lineman and 3 pro bowl lineman when he came into the NFL.
Emmitt had none, they became all pro and went to the pro bowl after Emmitt came in. Nate Newton often says this. They were nobody's until Emmitt came along.

As for Barry having more strength than Emmitt, then answer this. Why did they remove Barry inside the 5 yard line, and Emmitt was in there every time inside the 5 year line, 10, and 20 yard line too.
Barry's speed was a non factor there, maybe his elusiveness could work at times. But it was his lack of power that was why he was not in there as much.

But people need to get over this Ol vs. OL crap. But it is the only argument they have which is a false argument.

^This!!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It's not shades, it's a complete, direct parallel.

Saquon is hands-down the better home run hitter. Zeke is hands-down the better chain mover.

What you want out of a back basically determines which one you think is better.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree Emmitt helped with making the line look as great as they did, but I have to think that Barry could have made them look pretty darn special too. I don't know for sure without some kind of metric like a max squat or whatever but just from my shaky memory and the eyeball test I have to think Barry had Emmitt beat in lower body strength. His legs were like tree trunks. Emmitt had a better stiff arm though.

Emmitt's legs weren't skinny, that was part of his power as well. And he had great balance. He just did not have the elusiveness and speed as much as Barry, but was still better than most others.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I need to see Barkley this year, and maybe next for me to say that.
But he is the NY offense at this point. And is a huge factor in a defensive game plan.

But give me Zeke and his steady production over feast to famine. Maybe Barkley gets over that this year and gets those runs of being more consistent on 4 and 5 yard runs. Than 3, -2, 4, 15, -1, 5, 6, -4 type of stuff. I can see him certainly improving on that as the NY OL gets better. Then they can be better compared more fairly. But not right now.

I disagree. He's there right now. If anything, it's poor playcalling and lack of opportunities limiting him, not players on the field. He had a better YPA average over Zeke last year, and that was running behind a much worse offensive line. He has speed and agility that Elliott simply doesn't. I'm a Cowboys fan but I can admit the obvious.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

You should look up Barry's team and check your facts before making a statement like that.

Both Glover and Brown were ProBowl OL. Detroit's offense was not some scrub unit either. They had Herman Moore, Brett Perriman, and Johnny Morton with Scott Mitchell throwing to them. They could put up points and rack up yards on any team.

I do agree though Zeke vs Saquon has the makings to be just like Barry vs Emmitt.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. He's there right now. If anything, it's poor playcalling and lack of opportunities limiting him, not players on the field. He had a better YPA average over Zeke last year, and that was running behind a much worse offensive line. He has speed and agility that Elliott simply doesn't. I'm a Cowboys fan but I can admit the obvious.

Zeke is slower no doubt, but even last season seems he lost a step. Maybe he gets it back this year. But still will not be as fast, obviously.
I can see where and why you think this, so no argument. Just stating my opinion that I will see how this season goes. All I care is that Zeke is used to make our Offense one of the top 5, and helps us win.

Barkley and fans can claim he is the better RB, I don't care as long as we win. Back when it was Emmitt vs. Barry, no one knew then Emmitt would accomplish what he did. But as I told people back then, look at our team winning and Detroit not so much. :laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke is slower no doubt, but even last season seems he lost a step. Maybe he gets it back this year. But still will not be as fast, obviously.
I can see where and why you think this, so no argument. Just stating my opinion that I will see how this season goes. All I care is that Zeke is used to make our Offense one of the top 5, and helps us win.

Barkley and fans can claim he is the better RB, I don't care as long as we win. Back when it was Emmitt vs. Barry, no one knew then Emmitt would accomplish what he did. But as I told people back then, look at our team winning and Detroit not so much. :laugh:

Yeah, don't mistake me having a preference to be knocking Elliott. I'm not.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
You should look up Barry's team and check your facts before making a statement like that.

Both Glover and Brown were ProBowl OL. Detroit's offense was not some scrub unit either. They had Herman Moore, Brett Perriman, and Johnny Morton with Scott Mitchell throwing to them. They could put up points and rack up yards on any team.

I do agree though Zeke vs Saquon has the makings to be just like Barry vs Emmitt.
Let’s play a game, since @jazzcat22 is ignoring me calling out his absurdly blatant lie.
You add up all of the All-Pros and Pro Bowl from the OL that Emmitt played with in his career. I’ll add up the same from the OL that Barry played with. Who is going to have the lower score?

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Let’s play a game, since @jazzcat22 is ignoring me calling out his absurdly blatant lie.
You add up all of the All-Pros and Pro Bowl from the OL that Emmitt played with in his career. I’ll add up the same from the OL that Barry played with. Who is going to have the lower score?

I am specifically responding to @nate dizzle's statement

"However he played for one of the worst offensive lines on what was perennially one of the worst teams in the league."

There is no need to list out who was better per the above statement that my reply was based upon.