Zeke v. Saquon shades of Emmitt v. Barry

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Bogus premise from the get go. Barry Sanders had a very good OL, he just never had a good QB.

Emmitt Smith ran behind some guys who were a league-wide joke before he got here. Kevin Gogan, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei were nobodies before Emmitt showed up.

Nailed it TN.
Have you been to any of the Vols games yet? My wife is from the area. Love it there.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You should look up Barry's team and check your facts before making a statement like that.

Both Glover and Brown were ProBowl OL. Detroit's offense was not some scrub unit either. They had Herman Moore, Brett Perriman, and Johnny Morton with Scott Mitchell throwing to them. They could put up points and rack up yards on any team.

I do agree though Zeke vs Saquon has the makings to be just like Barry vs Emmitt.

Just for the fun of debating the hypothetical, do you feel Emmitt would have had the same success in Detroit? On the other side of that coin, do you think if we had Barry in those years instead of Emmitt, we would have had as much success as far as playoffs/Championships?

Personally, I think Emmitt wouldn't have experienced the same success with those Scott Mitchell led teams that he did here with Troy. I don't know how Barry would have fit into the offense here but I don't think he would have held us back.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
troll remarks dont hold weight.... he does belong.. its obvious.. but cant see through the hate and disdain.. he got paid hes Cowboy, hes in every conversation apparently besides yours on whos the top back...all over espn zeke is mentioned 1-3 no matter what, and his and ES style are very similar outside of zeke finishing runs bit harder..they run patient, take what the d gives them and waits for big plays to come but doesnt force them..

Our Zone blocking has forced EE to ne more patient before he finds and hits the soft part in the zone.. SB is told here this is the schemed hole go hit it hard and fast.. its different Zeke been elite since hS has a College Title and was considered the best back in that draft and since has two rushing titles, and the other year led in YPC , second in rushing tds..hes done nothing to be dismissed by you 10 fans in here..10 on how many members lol and in real circles same thing very few clueless haters think hes not one of the best.. so yes hes in all conversations..yes he will sustain this because hes not injury prone..long enough to get in the conversation for HOF, that i dont know but ES best part of his game was longevity ..

Barkley, Emmitt, Barry Sanders.

I dont think Zeke is in that category. I really dont care if that opinion bothers certain cowboys fans.

Zeke is a rung below those guys.

Top 3 in the current NFL? Sure he is in that discussion.

Kamara and Barkely are again, just much better all around play makers then Zeke. A healthy Gurley I also take over Zeke. Heck, McCaffrey I might take over Zeke as well.

Zeke is a tough, durable, straight ahead wrecking ball. But he simply doenst have the moves or top play making ability of those other guys.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Barry Sanders had 2 all pro lineman and 3 pro bowl lineman when he came into the NFL.
Emmitt had none, they became all pro and went to the pro bowl after Emmitt came in. Nate Newton often says this. They were nobody's until Emmitt came along.

As for Barry having more strength than Emmitt, then answer this. Why did they remove Barry inside the 5 yard line, and Emmitt was in there every time inside the 5 year line, 10, and 20 yard line too.
Barry's speed was a non factor there, maybe his elusiveness could work at times. But it was his lack of power that was why he was not in there as much.

But people need to get over this Ol vs. OL crap. But it is the only argument they have which is a false argument.
Barry also had a QB and multiple receivers that went to the probowl. I have have this same argument before, Barry has talent but he danced around and made his OL look worst. He wasn't an every down back either

Cebrin

Reaction score
So long as it follows the trend of the Cowboys winning Superbowls, then I'm all for the comparison.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Emmitt's lower body was stronger than Barry's, but I disagree that Barry was taken out because of a lack of strength. Barry was taken out because Barry was too elusive for his own good. He would not follow the hole nor was he patient enough to wait for it to open, unlike Emmitt.
A running back is a balance of patience and quick twitch. You have to sometimes wait for a hole to open then have the acceleration to get through. Barry didn't have that patience - not at the goal line. And running is different down inside the five than at the 50. Besides, Barry's line wasn't as good as Emmitt's. Not taking away from Emmitt because he made the Cowboys line, but they got good fast. And Eric Williams, Mark Stepnoski and Larry Allen weren't exactly Swiss cheese.

Emmitt had arguably the best vision of all time. And he also had one of the best Olines of all time. Those were his biggest attributes.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Just for the fun of debating the hypothetical, do you feel Emmitt would have had the same success in Detroit? On the other side of that coin, do you think if we had Barry in those years instead of Emmitt, we would have had as much success as far as playoffs/Championships?

Personally, I think Emmitt wouldn't have experienced the same success with those Scott Mitchell led teams that he did here with Troy. I don't know how Barry would have fit into the offense here but I don't think he would have held us back.

Heck Scott Mitchell would have had a tough time starting for my high school team, HE WAS BAD!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Barry also had a QB and multiple receivers that went to the probowl. I have have this same argument before, Barry has talent but he danced around and made his OL look worst. He wasn't an every down back either

Cowboys fans are the ONLY people on the planet that say that Emmitt was better than Barry. He simply wasnt.

Barry wasnt an every down back? LOL

That's laughable.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

BAM, YOU NAILED. He was looking for that home run instead of getting the yards needed in order to move the chains.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Emmitt had arguably the best vision of all time. And he also had one of the best Olines of all time. Those were his biggest attributes.
Don't forget durability and determination. I think Barry was easily the more physically gifted of the two, but Emmitt had intangible qualities that leveled the playing field between them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't forget durability and determination. I think Barry was easily the more physically gifted of the two, but Emmitt had intangible qualities that leveled the playing field between them.

Depending on the type of offense, I may take Emmitt over Barry.

But Barry was the better RB. I dont think anyone debates that outside of Cowboys forums.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

But Barry was the better RB. I dont think anyone debates that outside of Cowboys forums.

Agree! but ES was the more complete back that could do it all. The reason BS came out on 3rd downs, was because of the blocking skills, whereas ES could block his --- off. John Madden use to rave about him being the best blocking back in the league.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
I disagree. He's there right now. If anything, it's poor playcalling and lack of opportunities limiting him, not players on the field. He had a better YPA average over Zeke last year, and that was running behind a much worse offensive line. He has speed and agility that Elliott simply doesn't. I'm a Cowboys fan but I can admit the obvious.

I will take Zeke over Barkley every time.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Agreed. Emmitt was a perfect fit for our offense. Barry may not have had as much success here as Emmitt did although it's difficult for me to think he wouldn't have at least been as good as he was in Detroit. I also don't think Emmitt would have had the same success Barry did in Detroit, but who knows. Like I said, Emmitt had some immeasurable qualities that are tough to factor in when playing this game of hypotheticals.