Zeke vs Murray

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The are very similar in that both players got one more contract than they should have.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The are very similar in that both players got one more contract than they should have.
The biggest difference is Zeke will hit and punish defenders. Murray made way too many business decisions, and ran out of bounds, leaving yards on the field.

There were many runs Murray could have got another 2 to 5 yards, or possibly more if he just would try to truck the defender. He stepped out of bounds instead.
Except in 2014, he stayed in bounds more often. Maybe because he was 100% healthy for once.

The thing is now, Zeke does not get those as much, because Moore has him running up the middle to stack lines was too often. Also, of course he lost a step, so hitting the edge does not come as often now, and less plays to the outside. But OL run blocking plays a big part of that.

Does Moore even have any plays where they pull the OG to either side for more run blocking?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Lol. When have I been a Zeke hater? And you got your GOATs wrong. We were playing Rodgers that day, bro. Stay off the drugs.
Well had Brady on the brain given all the posts about this dude. We’ve beat rogers so... eke and dak beat him in 16. Never beat Brady.

starfan1

Reaction score
Zeke and Murray had a similar O-Line in 2014 and 2016 - you could argue the line was better in 2016. Murray put up similar numbers.

Zeke's draft status makes a lot of you think he was "generational". He NEVER looked like that.
I take Murray all day every day. Im trying to remember the difference between the 2 lines. Is 2016 the year collins played guard instead of Leary? I think the loss of Leary is when you started to see the line begin to go south and also the loss of tfred. Murray also had the benefit of playing with a seasoned veteran in Tony versus Zeke playing with rookie Dak (even thought it may have been one of his better years). He had finally figued it out just couldnt stay healthy.

Oh that fumble though

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-better-offensive-line-in-2016-cowboys-or-raiders think Im taking that 14 line although 14-18 it was a real good line

Last edited:

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yup that year he was a beast. I think the FO hated him for that fumble in the playoffs.
I think it was more about Murray having an injury history and being 27 the year he hit free agency. He was 23 when he entered the league. Elliott was 21 when he joined Dallas and is just now 27.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Jerry saw Demarco still killing it in Tennessee and felt like he made the wrong decision so he overcorrected and signed Zeke to the massive deal.
He didn't exactly kill it in Tennessee. He had one good season out of two. And prior to that he dealt with injuries in his one season in Philly.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Murray in 2014 was a machine its a shame he fumbled and lost us the playoff game
2016 Zeke takes that to then house. You recall outside of whoever caused the fumble there was no one to catch murray from hitting his head on the goalpost

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No they are just being truthful. Zeke's pay is clouding judgements, for the many that do not understand the complete game.
Zeke's contract means little here - I am hearing that Zeke played like he was a "generational talent" here. WHERE exactly is this coming from? His 2016 was not historic, it was a great season behind a great offensive line and about on par with what Murray did 2 years prior.

It's actually pretty crazy how similar Zeke and Murray played at their "peaks". Fumbles and all.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Elliott simply for his ability to stay on the field (outside of 2017)

But when they were on the field, this forum really really overrates Zeke. He had a great season in 2016 behind a similar O-Line Murray with relatively similar production, and after that, Zeke steadily started to fade until we are where we are now. After the 2017 season, Zeke lost his burst. That wear and tear from college and the high number of carries in 2016 took it's toll.
Did Elliott have a lot of wear and tear in college? He isn't even ranked in the top 250 for number of rushing attempts in a college career with 592 attempts.

College rushing attempts
1163 Tony Dorsett ranked 3rd all-time
994 Herschel Walker
759 DeMarco Murray
700 Emmitt Smith ranked 250th all-time
634 Julius Jones
575 Marion Barber III
139 Tony Pollard

mattjames2010

Reaction score
2016 Zeke takes that to then house. You recall outside of whoever caused the fumble there was no one to catch murray from hitting his head on the goalpost
Zeke had 5 fumbles his rookie season, 6 in 2018, and 6 in 2020. Peppers with his big *** arm could have smacked that ball loose on Zeke too.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Murray always had nagging injuries and would sit until his contract year and he had could not hold onto the ball. Too many fumbles fortunate many were not lost or were fumbles out of bounds. Good guy but a fumbler.
I wouldn't consider fracturing his right ankle his rookie season a nagging injury. I think he was injured quite a bit, but it had nothing to do with contracts. He got hurt a lot in college, too.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Did Elliott have a lot of wear and tear in college? He isn't even ranked in the top 250 for number of rushing attempts in a college career with 592 attempts.

College rushing attempts
1163 Tony Dorsett ranked 3rd all-time
994 Herschel Walker
759 DeMarco Murray
700 Emmitt Smith ranked 250th all-time
634 Julius Jones
575 Marion Barber III
139 Tony Pollard
Elliott had 592 carries in 3 seasons, and most of those came in two seasons. And as I said, he had 2 workload seasons in college and then a workload rookie season and was being used heavily in 2017 before the suspension as well.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Zeke had 5 fumbles his rookie season, 6 in 2018, and 6 in 2020. Peppers with his big *** arm could have smacked that ball loose on Zeke too.
Wow 5 fumbles lost? It didn’t think it was that high. I know 2020 was bad but I’m curious I though Murray had 8 fumbles that season

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Wow 5 fumbles lost? It didn’t think it was that high. I know 2020 was bad but I’m curious I though Murray had 8 fumbles that season
No, he got lucky and only lost one. He lost 5 out of 6 in 2020 though.

That's the thing about Zeke's fumbles, he's been a fumbler for a good chunk of his career but we got back on the ball. Murray got unlucky in 2014 and lost each one of his fumbles, that's why it's memorable.

And, if I remember correctly, Murray's fumbles came in a stretch of games and he was fine outside of those (goes for Zeke too) - sadly, his next fumble came in the playoffs.