Zeke vs Rams

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

There are the game highlights. The Rams decided that stopping Zeke was the way to beat the Cowboys. Go to 1:19. The Cowboys were in shotgun and the rams still had 7 men on the line and one more in the box. You pull that crap against a good QB and you give up 40 or more points. The 1:19 was Dak's first touchdown. It was a simple 10 yard in and there was no help over the top.

Go to 2:47. The Rams literally had NINE men in the box on a regular first and 10. I can go on and on with more examples.

Its all game long. If you understand football, what happened in the Rams game was a passing game problem. They basically took the Colts' playbook from a few weeks before.

When the defense knows exactly what plays you run they can defend it much easy. Why do you think the eagles gave up some much yards and points in the 4th quarter and overtime? Because Dak and Cooper changed the routes and the eagles could no longer sit on the routes. I watched Beasley run routes and the defender knew exactly what route he was running and would get to the spot before Beasley.

The fact Dak has been able to win games with defenses knowing every route and play is incredible. Watch how Dak explodes this season with Moore disguising the plays and running different routes.

Haimerej

Reaction score

Without watching that play and just looking at the picture, there's no where for him to go. Suh has Looney a yard deep with the leverage to cut off the, "red arrow," suggestion by pushing Looney in the way. Martin is off his feet.

How do you expect to evaluate or make a point about a play with a still image anyway?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Ya, if you understand football, it is easy to understand.

On the first play you outlined, the "men in the box" was dictated by our alignment, same with your 2nd example. The first play had a short split to the left. He was covered creating the "7th" man. There was also a safety over the top, amazing that the play was a TD but it is still drawn as an example on how they were playing to "stop zeke". They were but this is no different than what teams did against Emmitt or Demarco. Why everyone uses this as some sort of slight against Dak is laughable. The Cowboys want to run the ball...everyone knows it. We have been doing this since the 90s.

On the 2nd play, we have 7 tight in the box and a 8th wr short split. Again, the defense IS defending a run formation and it is a 20 + yard play for a pass. Exactly what should happen.

Zeke saw these defensive looks all year and the year before. Demarco saw the same looks. Please stop with the "good qb" stuff...

That's crazy.

The 1:19 play:
- Dallas had 1st and 10
- Dallas was in a shotgun formation
- Dallas had 3 WR and a single back

That most definitely does not dictate 8 in the box as a formation. The "normal" coverage for that would be a nickel and two safeties deep. LA putting 8 men close to the line of scrimmage in that scenario is daring the QB to beat them. Aikman rarely would have seen that coverage.

And yes, others have seen 8 men in the box. Zeke sees 8 in the box all the time and he is still among the league leaders in running. That said, the whole goal of being that dominant with the run is to pull people into 8 in the box defenses so you can shred them with the passing game. The fact that Dak has like 5 career 300 yard games while rarely playing against cover 2 schemes is . . . a problem.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
When the defense knows exactly what plays you run they can defend it much easy. Why do you think the eagles gave up some much yards and points in the 4th quarter and overtime? Because Dak and Cooper changed the routes and the eagles could no longer sit on the routes. I watched Beasley run routes and the defender knew exactly what route he was running and would get to the spot before Beasley.

The fact Dak has been able to win games with defenses knowing every route and play is incredible. Watch how Dak explodes this season with Moore disguising the plays and running different routes.

I have posted negatively about Dak multiple times on this forum but I seriously think the Cowboys can win big with him as QB. I just think he needs a very good team around him to do that and paying him almost 35m per year makes that hard. I don't want to see Zeke get huge money either.

I certainly agree that Dallas' offense has had the imagination of a piece of cork. The fact that Romo can still call out the plays simply by the formation 2 years after retiring is mind numblingly bad. I expect the whole offense to look better this year. Moore doesn't even have to be a stud. He just has to be . . . not Scott Linehan.

. . . and yeah, Garrett is a moron for letting this go on for this long.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I have posted negatively about Dak multiple times on this forum but I seriously think the Cowboys can win big with him as QB. I just think he needs a very good team around him to do that and paying him almost 35m per year makes that hard. I don't want to see Zeke get huge money either.

I certainly agree that Dallas' offense has had the imagination of a piece of cork. The fact that Romo can still call out the plays simply by the formation 2 years after retiring is mind numblingly bad. I expect the whole offense to look better this year. Moore doesn't even have to be a stud. He just has to be . . . not Scott Linehan.

. . . and yeah, Garrett is a moron for letting this go on for this long.
Every QB needs talent to win a championship. Not a single QB has ever went anywhere by themselves. The fact some of you hold that against Dak but praise other QBs again shows bias

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's try your bone head coach, the same guy who iced his own kicker several years ago, the only time that has happened.
You can’t blame every loss on the coach based that icing his kicker thing several years ago. Besides, as I recall his coaches were yelling that the players weren’t set on that play, and he was trying to avoid a penalty. As it turned out they did get set before the ball was snapped, but there isn’t time to carefully survey the field with just a couple of seconds left on the play clock.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Watch the video Smith pushed his guy upfield, if Zeke would have followed to left he would have gotten 1st down or huge yards. He got stalled at line of scrimmage,if he wants-the top RB money he would have gotten that first down ( would be worth it) I know damn well Beast Mode would have gotten that 1st down.

What on Earth is this thread and this post?

The play goes to the right. No RB will ever cut across the entire face of the defense on 4th and short lmao

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
You can’t blame every loss on the coach based that icing his kicker thing several years ago. Besides, as I recall his coaches were yelling that the players weren’t set on that play, and he was trying to avoid a penalty. As it turned out they did get set before the ball was snapped, but there isn’t time to carefully survey the field with just a couple of seconds left on the play clock.

Red did get to conservative by not going for it on there side of the field on 4th and inches in that Houston game. I knew they would score to win on that play. The next day everyone blasted him for not going for it in that situation.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Without watching that play and just looking at the picture, there's no where for him to go. Suh has Looney a yard deep with the leverage to cut off the, "red arrow," suggestion by pushing Looney in the way. Martin is off his feet.

How do you expect to evaluate or make a point about a play with a still image anyway?
Several are to blame on this play.

First of all, Looney and Dak should have realized the more easier lane to run through, due to the Rams alignment, was between Center and Left Guard. They both should have noticed that and changed the obvious destined run behind Right Guard Zack Martin to Left Guard Connor Williams.

Secondly, the whole Oline does not fire out at all! Frustrating to watch. You need 1 yard to get the 1st down at the Rams 30 yard line early in the 4th with the game on the line. If you get that 1 yard and convert the 1st down, you get to keep the drive alive and potentially score the tying TD at that point. Momentum would have gone to the Cowboys. Instead, the whole Oline just stands up and allows itself to get pushed back. Inexcusable! This is why I'm constantly getting after this Oline consisting of a bunch of 1st rounders because it is crystal clear they are not being coached and trained correctly. Just watch the tape. They all stand up haphazardly and allow themselves to get pushed back! Had they been trained to FIRE OUT AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE AND GAIN LEVERAGE MOMENTUM, the law of physics says they would most likely win the battle of leverages and be able to push the Rams Dline back, thus creating holes for Zeke to run through. It all starts with the Oline and how they are being coached!!! :mad:

Lastly, Zeke has to realize the Rams are clogging up any gaps right of Center Joe Looney. In other words, the Rams are betting the play is set to run behind Right Guard Zack Martin, which it was, and are tempting the Cowboys to run the ball elsewhere. Since it's obvious that Zeke was not going to deviate from the called running play set behind Zack Martin, he should have noticed the Rams aligning themselves to stuff that gap, thus either decide before you get the handoff to either follow the designed play and leap over the pile in order to gain the needed 1 yard or get the handoff and run towards the obvious open gap between Center Joe Looney and Left Guard Connor Williams...and hit it hard! Instead, Zeke gets the ball while keeping his head down and haphazardly runs right into the pile between Joe Looney and Zack Martin.

What a terrible attempt by everyone. No one fired out or came out with aggression. They all played at half speed as if they were nervous and didn't want to get that 1st down. The Rams had much better effort off of the line of scrimmage.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That's crazy.

The 1:19 play:
- Dallas had 1st and 10
- Dallas was in a shotgun formation
- Dallas had 3 WR and a single back

That most definitely does not dictate 8 in the box as a formation. The "normal" coverage for that would be a nickel and two safeties deep. LA putting 8 men close to the line of scrimmage in that scenario is daring the QB to beat them. Aikman rarely would have seen that coverage.

And yes, others have seen 8 men in the box. Zeke sees 8 in the box all the time and he is still among the league leaders in running. That said, the whole goal of being that dominant with the run is to pull people into 8 in the box defenses so you can shred them with the passing game. The fact that Dak has like 5 career 300 yard games while rarely playing against cover 2 schemes is . . . a problem.
Dak hasn't had the weapons at WR to make defenses pay for stacking 8 men in the box. This season looks like he finally will have the weapons at WR to make opposing defenses pay, which he didn't truly have the past 2 years.

aria

Reaction score
Let's try your bone head coach, the same guy who iced his own kicker several years ago, the only time that has happened.
True, but that had nothing to do with Zeke’s running game or lack thereof I should say.

My point is, and has been, Zeke has always been fortunate in college and NFL to have a great line and without that he is severely reduced from very good to good. The O line is the most important unit on the field and doesn’t get enough credit for Zeke’s success.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

There are the game highlights. The Rams decided that stopping Zeke was the way to beat the Cowboys. Go to 1:19. The Cowboys were in shotgun and the rams still had 7 men on the line and one more in the box. You pull that crap against a good QB and you give up 40 or more points. The 1:19 was Dak's first touchdown. It was a simple 10 yard in and there was no help over the top.

Go to 2:47. The Rams literally had NINE men in the box on a regular first and 10. I can go on and on with more examples.

Its all game long. If you understand football, what happened in the Rams game was a passing game problem. They basically took the Colts' playbook from a few weeks before.

The Cooper TD had me reminiscing of Irvin in the early 90s........8:40 how does the ref spot that ball at the 2 o_O

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I don't know if it's smart of Elliot for holding out or not. I know we don't need him and it's a good thing he's not in Camp so we can really see what these rookies have. I didn't expect him to play much in the preseason anyways

It'll depend on whether Jerry is foolish enough to let him get away with it.
In poker language, Jerry should "check and raise" Zeke, see how long Zeke would like to sit around without a paycheck to pay for the fines he'll be charged for not showing up.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Watch the video Smith pushed his guy upfield, if Zeke would have followed to left he would have gotten 1st down or huge yards. He got stalled at line of scrimmage,if he wants-the top RB money he would have gotten that first down ( would be worth it) I know damn well Beast Mode would have gotten that 1st down.

he couldnt go left , because nobody blocked suh on that play and he was coming from the left.
Bad blocking schemes was the problem ,connor was going upfield to block a LB and so Suh was unblocked, also same thing on another play.
Another problem is Elliot is set back too far, especially when dak is under center, and by the time dak takes snap and gets to elliot, a unblocked
lineman or LB can be right there as elliot gets the ball, it is pathetic.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Several are to blame on this play.

First of all, Looney and Dak should have realized the more easier lane to run through, due to the Rams alignment, was between Center and Left Guard. They both should have noticed that and changed the obvious destined run behind Right Guard Zack Martin to Left Guard Connor Williams.

Secondly, the whole Oline does not fire out at all! Frustrating to watch. You need 1 yard to get the 1st down at the Rams 30 yard line early in the 4th with the game on the line. If you get that 1 yard and convert the 1st down, you get to keep the drive alive and potentially score the tying TD at that point. Momentum would have gone to the Cowboys. Instead, the whole Oline just stands up and allows itself to get pushed back. Inexcusable! This is why I'm constantly getting after this Oline consisting of a bunch of 1st rounders because it is crystal clear they are not being coached and trained correctly. Just watch the tape. They all stand up haphazardly and allow themselves to get pushed back! Had they been trained to FIRE OUT AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE AND GAIN LEVERAGE MOMENTUM, the law of physics says they would most likely win the battle of leverages and be able to push the Rams Dline back, thus creating holes for Zeke to run through. It all starts with the Oline and how they are being coached!!! :mad:

Lastly, Zeke has to realize the Rams are clogging up any gaps right of Center Joe Looney. In other words, the Rams are betting the play is set to run behind Right Guard Zack Martin, which it was, and are tempting the Cowboys to run the ball elsewhere. Since it's obvious that Zeke was not going to deviate from the called running play set behind Zack Martin, he should have noticed the Rams aligning themselves to stuff that gap, thus either decide before you get the handoff to either follow the designed play and leap over the pile in order to gain the needed 1 yard or get the handoff and run towards the obvious open gap between Center Joe Looney and Left Guard Connor Williams...and hit it hard! Instead, Zeke gets the ball while keeping his head down and haphazardly runs right into the pile between Joe Looney and Zack Martin.

What a terrible attempt by everyone. No one fired out or came out with aggression. They all played at half speed as if they were nervous and didn't want to get that 1st down. The Rams had much better effort off of the line of scrimmage.

Agree, a lot of people are to be blamed on this one play not just Zeke but the OL also. No running back gets it done without the OL. You nailed it America's.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It'll depend on whether Jerry is foolish enough to let him get away with it.
In poker language, Jerry should "check and raise" Zeke, see how long Zeke would like to sit around without a paycheck to pay for the fines he'll be charged for not showing up.[/QU. .

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Every QB needs talent to win a championship. Not a single QB has ever went anywhere by themselves. The fact some of you hold that against Dak but praise other QBs again shows bias
And on the other side of the coin you and others talk about how Dak is winning games by himself without giving credit to the team