Zeke vs Rams

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Every QB needs talent to win a championship. Not a single QB has ever went anywhere by themselves. The fact some of you hold that against Dak but praise other QBs again shows bias

Statistically, Dak isn't the best QB in the league. Is that controversial? Are there Dak fans out there that think he is the best QB out there?

IMO, Drew Brees is one of the top QB's. As an example, he has a $22m cap hit this year. If Dak gets $34m or so, then New Orleans would be able to afford a QB better than Dak AND have almost enough money left over to afford Zeke for the same cap hit that Dak wants. That would put Dallas at a competitive disadvantage versus NO. Is this really even debatable?

Seattle just gave Russell Wilson a massive deal. I look at Wilson as being very similar to Dak. Good guy. Reliable. Not exactly the best thrower in the NFL but not horrible either. Even won a super bowl. I'll go on record now. IMO, Seattle will never seriously compete with Wilson there on that contract. I don't want Dallas to make the same mistake.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Remember when Dak rushed in for a TD, and had to make a front flip after being hit ?!
He went flying into the red zone . What game was that ?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Statistically, Dak isn't the best QB in the league. Is that controversial? Are there Dak fans out there that think he is the best QB out there?

IMO, Drew Brees is one of the top QB's. As an example, he has a $22m cap hit this year. If Dak gets $34m or so, then New Orleans would be able to afford a QB better than Dak AND have almost enough money left over to afford Zeke for the same cap hit that Dak wants. That would put Dallas at a competitive disadvantage versus NO. Is this really even debatable?

Seattle just gave Russell Wilson a massive deal. I look at Wilson as being very similar to Dak. Good guy. Reliable. Not exactly the best thrower in the NFL but not horrible either. Even won a super bowl. I'll go on record now. IMO, Seattle will never seriously compete with Wilson there on that contract. I don't want Dallas to make the same mistake.
This is just an absurd comment. Brees didn't sign his deal this year otherwise it would be more than 22 million. Do you not understand the market

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Remember when Dak rushed in for a TD, and had to make a front flip after being hit ?!
He has done it a couple times, just about every season he has. 18 rushing TDs in 3 years but some don't think he could have scored more than the 3 points in 89 that would have won more than 1 game. Seriously, some guys think we were blown out in every single game that year and that's false.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yo didn’t Murray have 1500+ yds rushing behind this OL? So your telling me part of Zeke success is the OL not the other way around.

What the hell happened to Zeke against Rams, especially on short yardage...

Rams STONEWALL Zeke on fourth-and-short
The Rams stonewall Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott on fourth-and-short.

https://www.therams.com/video/rams-stonewall-zeke-on-fourth-and-short

What "This OL?" The 2018 line was 60% different than the 2014 line. The 2015 line was 20% different. The 2017 line was 40-60% different. Only 2014 and 2016 were pretty much the same.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
This is just an absurd comment. Brees didn't sign his deal this year otherwise it would be more than 22 million. Do you not understand the market

That's such an absurd comment. Dallas has to compete with what teams have right now and right now, there are a lot of really good QB's making a lot less than what Dak wants.

Last year, the 6 highest paid QB's in the NFL missed the playoffs. If you want to bring up "the market", then fine, let's get into economics. Teams are clearly overvaluing QB's and it is hurting them. This happens in markets until there is a correction. Its the dot com bubble except for quarterbacks.

IMO, Dallas should not make the same mistake that some other teams are making.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I believe that was a Atlanta for me I thought that is when Prescott took control of the team the offense. That was a turning point for me. He gained a little respect

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A lot of you act that way though
No we don't. We know this is a team League there's no such thing as an elite any longer. College is the new NFL training camp. Playets don't have time to sit and learn on the bench any longer. You play as a team or you lose today that's the youth that's the salary cap that's the way the league is. Anybody who doesn't think so is wrong

Sevenup3000

Reaction score

Should the Colts have given Luck his deal? What about the Lions Stafford or the Vikings Cousins? The Eagles with Wentz?

What kind of deal should Goff get from the Rams?

I find it amusing that you would bring up Wilson of all QBs after positively highlighting Brees.

So praytell, what should Luck, Stafford, Cousins, Wentz, and Goff, etc. make?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is a fourth quarter game. Everything else from the first nap to the last nap is called football I care what you do in the game is on the line that's when you prove your Worth to me. Prescott is a winner. He is at his best under pressure when the game is on the line the team's numbers prove it. Go Cowboys go Prescott. At least we didn't give the farm away for him. This is the season when he will really show me what we have in a quarterback. On-the-job training is over

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Should the Colts have given Luck his deal? What about the Lions Stafford or the Vikings Cousins? The Eagles with Wentz?

I find it amusing that you would bring up Wilson of all QBs after positively highlighting Brees.

Didn't Carson Wentz just signed a deal so we know what he's making. I don't care what a quarterback makes as long as it doesn't hurt the team. One player does not make a team in my opinion at any position

doomsday9084

Reaction score

Why would you find Wilson amusing after highlighting Brees? Brees now makes a lot less than him and is a pretty good QB. His team is at a competitive advantage until he leaves or gets a big extension.

If I had the time, I would go through all of the super bowl teams of the past 10 years and see what percentage of the cap their QB was taking. I suspect that the average is pretty small and that these big deals you just brought up exceed most if not all of them. I would use this superbowl metric as a guideline going forward.

Just quickly looking at it, since super bowl 40, how many lobardi's were won by guys on their rookie contract? Looking at it quick and guessing on rookie deal length: Pittsburgh x2, NYG, GB, NO, Bal, Sea, Phil. That's 8 of 14 that I think were on their rookie deals. Brady won 3 during that period and we know he gives NE a discount.

In effect, the teams that win it all lately are usually getting their QB play at a discount. This is not a coincidence.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Several are to blame on this play.

First of all, Looney and Dak should have realized the more easier lane to run through, due to the Rams alignment, was between Center and Left Guard. They both should have noticed that and changed the obvious destined run behind Right Guard Zack Martin to Left Guard Connor Williams.

Secondly, the whole Oline does not fire out at all! Frustrating to watch. You need 1 yard to get the 1st down at the Rams 30 yard line early in the 4th with the game on the line. If you get that 1 yard and convert the 1st down, you get to keep the drive alive and potentially score the tying TD at that point. Momentum would have gone to the Cowboys. Instead, the whole Oline just stands up and allows itself to get pushed back. Inexcusable! This is why I'm constantly getting after this Oline consisting of a bunch of 1st rounders because it is crystal clear they are not being coached and trained correctly. Just watch the tape. They all stand up haphazardly and allow themselves to get pushed back! Had they been trained to FIRE OUT AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE AND GAIN LEVERAGE MOMENTUM, the law of physics says they would most likely win the battle of leverages and be able to push the Rams Dline back, thus creating holes for Zeke to run through. It all starts with the Oline and how they are being coached!!! :mad:

Lastly, Zeke has to realize the Rams are clogging up any gaps right of Center Joe Looney. In other words, the Rams are betting the play is set to run behind Right Guard Zack Martin, which it was, and are tempting the Cowboys to run the ball elsewhere. Since it's obvious that Zeke was not going to deviate from the called running play set behind Zack Martin, he should have noticed the Rams aligning themselves to stuff that gap, thus either decide before you get the handoff to either follow the designed play and leap over the pile in order to gain the needed 1 yard or get the handoff and run towards the obvious open gap between Center Joe Looney and Left Guard Connor Williams...and hit it hard! Instead, Zeke gets the ball while keeping his head down and haphazardly runs right into the pile between Joe Looney and Zack Martin.

What a terrible attempt by everyone. No one fired out or came out with aggression. They all played at half speed as if they were nervous and didn't want to get that 1st down. The Rams had much better effort off of the line of scrimmage.

Great post describing a play that exemplifies the offense's overreliance on the OL, and I think also highlights the importance of Frederick's absence.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
That's such an absurd comment. Dallas has to compete with what teams have right now and right now, there are a lot of really good QB's making a lot less than what Dak wants.

Last year, the 6 highest paid QB's in the NFL missed the playoffs. If you want to bring up "the market", then fine, let's get into economics. Teams are clearly overvaluing QB's and it is hurting them. This happens in markets until there is a correction. Its the dot com bubble except for quarterbacks.

IMO, Dallas should not make the same mistake that some other teams are making.
They are making less because they signed their deal before. If Brees signed a deal right now he would be signing over 30 million and those are facts.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Great post describing a play that exemplifies the offense's overreliance on the OL, and I think also highlights the importance of Frederick's absence.

I think you're right. What it reminded me of was that's the kind of play Marion Barber used to recognize as a brick wall so he frequently bounced it outside for a good gain. That's what Zeke should've done too.
Zeke is good, but he can't run through a brick wall. He needs to know when to bounce it outside sometimes like Barber did.

Last edited: