News: Zeke Won't Return without Deal

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope they win a SB without him. Nobody is asking him to play for free. Let him sit and start exploring some trade opportunities. Let's see who will pay him what he wants. I think he'll be surprised at just how many GMs won't...

:hammer:

Exactly!

Give Zeke and his agent the opportunity to seek a trade.

And watch them cave when they see that there is NO MARKET.

The Bell situation has shown Stephen Jones that there isn’t a market for running backs.

Proof

Reaction score

Exactly!

The Bell situation has shown Stephen Jones that there isn’t a market for running backs.

I mean Le'veon didn't get as much as HE was asking for, but he still got 2nd best money in the league, and one of the richest RB contracts of all time. I wouldn't say there is no market, it's just less than what players are pushing for currently and you have to go to ridiculous lengths to secure that. It's not worth it, but it is available. Also were Zeke to find himself in Le'veon's situation, he'd come out ahead as it would be in lieu of his remaining rookie years, vs missing a year of FA for Le'veon

stiletto

Reaction score
I'd have no problem with the Cowboys giving Zeke a large payday if he didn't have the off the field issues. He is a multi-million $ player with a .02 brain and alcoholism. I don't blame the Jones family for having pause. Sorry.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
In this interview, Stephens says that they know that the Gurley contract is probably where it starts but he doesn't say that this is what the team is willing to pay. He is simply saying that he knows that's where the negotiation point will start at. I don't take that as if he is saying the team will base an offer, as a starting point, on where Gurley's contract sits.

I'm reading it differently, and if I had to guess, I believe Zeke's camp is reading it as I did. So if I'm his agent, any talk of a new contract would start with Gurley's.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean Le'veon didn't get as much as HE was asking for, but he still got 2nd best money in the league, and one of the richest RB contracts of all time. I wouldn't say there is no market, it's just less than what players are pushing for currently and you have to go to ridiculous lengths to secure that. It's not worth it, but it is available. Also were Zeke to find himself in Le'veon's situation, he'd come out ahead as it would be in lieu of his remaining rookie years, vs missing a year of FA for Le'veon

“2nd best money”.

As a free agent.

With no draft pick compensation involved.

Having not been suspended for domestic violence for 6 games and narrowly missing another one two weeks ago.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Exactly!

IF you truly believe no one would trade for the leading rusher the last 2 of 3 years you are out to lunch. lol

Proof

Reaction score
“2nd best money”.

As a free agent.

With no draft pick compensation involved.

Having not been suspended for domestic violence for 6 games and narrowly missing another one two weeks ago.

Ok? You said “how it worked out for Le’veon“. It worked out great. With the additional caveats, would it work out worse for Zeke? Possibly, that’s just not a good example.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
IF you truly believe no one would trade for the leading rusher the last 2 of 3 years you are out to lunch. lol

This is great , we need first round picks .
We need this drama queen out !, nobody is worth so much drama .

Won't play for 34 million ?
TRADE HIM .

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok? You said “how it worked out for Le’veon“. It worked out great. With the additional caveats, would it work out worse for Zeke? Possibly, that’s just not a good example.
Did it? Work out well for Bell I mean. He forfeited $14.5MM by not playing under the franchise tag last year, and this year landed with the Jets, a team that hasn't won its division in 17 years, and under a contract that is well below what Gurley got. In addition, it was reported that he turned down a bigger contract with Pittsburgh a year ago, and if that's true, he lost out on that too.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm reading it differently, and if I had to guess, I believe Zeke's camp is reading it as I did. So if I'm his agent, any talk of a new contract would start with Gurley's.

Oh, I've no doubt that this is how they would choose to interpret this but it doesn't actually say that. It just confirms that the Front Office knows that this is the starting point of the Negotiation, at minimum.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rico Gathers was just released, he had another year on his deal. That's one example of many.

I guarantee you, he was paid anything he was owed, according to the terms of his contract. Gathers was not given a raw deal in any way. Heck, he got busted for weed a day before the cut down period last year and the Cowboys still kept him around, for why? He contributed next to nothing. I mean, the Cowboys gave that guy every chance in the world and he didn't capitalize and he still got paid.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I don't know if this was addressed to me or not but it didn't work out great for Bell IMO. If you think it did, that's fine but I don't see it that way. Bottom line, he is no longer with Pittsburgh and that is kinda the point, which is where I started with the whole Zeke discussion.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I guarantee you, he was paid anything he was owed, according to the terms of his contract. Gathers was not given a raw deal in any way. Heck, he got busted for weed a day before the cut down period last year and the Cowboys still kept him around, for why? He contributed next to nothing. I mean, the Cowboys gave that guy every chance in the world and he didn't capitalize and he still got paid.
I'm not commenting on whether Rico should have remained on the team, I would have cut him, too. But you can't have it both ways. If you want non-guaranteed contracts with the ability to cut a player regardless of time left on a contract, then you also get players taking any rare opportunity they might find to better their situation. That's what Zeke is doing. It's already worked to some extent because now Jerry is negotiating with him, whereas Zeke would have been third in line to the table after Dak and Cooper had he not held out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm not commenting on whether Rico should have remained on the team, I would have cut him, too. But you can't have it both ways. If you want non-guaranteed contracts with the ability to cut a player regardless of time left on a contract, then you also get players taking any rare opportunity they might find to better their situation. That's what Zeke is doing. It's already worked to some extent because now Jerry is negotiating with him, whereas Zeke would have been third in line to the table after Dak and Cooper had he not held out.

No, he got paid. He got paid 587k or whatever it was he was owed and then got cut. There is no, "Both Ways" here. He can actually go out and try and make another team, with his money in his pocket. I mean, there is no comparison here. You are completely wrong on this example.

Proof

Reaction score
Did it? Work out well for Bell I mean. He forfeited $14.5MM by not playing under the franchise tag last year, and this year landed with the Jets, a team that hasn't won its division in 17 years, and under a contract that is well below what Gurley got. In addition, it was reported that he turned down a bigger contract with Pittsburgh a year ago, and if that's true, he lost out on that too.

personally I don’t put any stock in a bigger deal from the Steelers but if so obviously that backfired. As far as the jets are concerned they seem to have some promise as of right now, and he forfeited a yr of insane usage for a long term deal that is commensurate with the market. He also stuck it to the Steelers who have apparently become a toxic organization, while holding true to his principles.