News: Zeke's High Praise For Tyler Smith: 'Dude Is Strong'

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
He is going to face some big boys this year for sure. His strength will be needed.

Hopefully with Martin on one side and Smith on the other (assuming he is what we hope) Biadasz can do a better job of holding up and get some push himself and not get pushed backwards so much.
Hopefully this is true:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
"It's really starting to come together for him," said Ezekiel Elliott of Smith's progress as padded practices get underway. "You can tell the game is slowing down. You can tell he's starting to [figure it out]."

Even more telling of Smith's potential, though, is in how Elliott lit up like a torch when identifying one of the rookie's biggest ... strengths.

"Dude is strong," said a smiling Elliott. "If you just watch some of the plays and when he just punches a guy -- he's lifted a couple of guys off of their feet just by punching. When he gets his hands on guys, they're not getting away from him. You can definitely tell he's a skilled cat, and he's gonna be good for us."

Zeke’s High Praise For Tyler Smith: 'Dude Is Strong' (dallascowboys.com)
I will take any positive signs of encouragement....

glimmerman

Reaction score
"It's really starting to come together for him," said Ezekiel Elliott of Smith's progress as padded practices get underway. "You can tell the game is slowing down. You can tell he's starting to [figure it out]."

Even more telling of Smith's potential, though, is in how Elliott lit up like a torch when identifying one of the rookie's biggest ... strengths.

"Dude is strong," said a smiling Elliott. "If you just watch some of the plays and when he just punches a guy -- he's lifted a couple of guys off of their feet just by punching. When he gets his hands on guys, they're not getting away from him. You can definitely tell he's a skilled cat, and he's gonna be good for us."

Is this meaning we are going to see a lot of holding calls. Inside the shoulder pads is supposed to be ok. But not always for Cowboys.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I bet they run behind that side of the line a lot more this year.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Many are saying he's holding on every play....I'd rather read the positive posts than the negative ones....some fans just can't help but be miserable, I guess.
I prefer the honest ones. For example, I don't really believe anything McCarthy says about anyone because he never says anything that isn't totally glowing. I do like the unsolicited comments though. In other words if a media guy says "how is Smith doing" and McCarthy (or whomever) goes on to tell us he is the greatest player in the world it's meaningless to me because that's all he ever says. But, if the media guy says "Who is impressing you this camp" without naming a specific player and McCarthy brings up Smith and then goes on and on about how well he is doing, I find it more meaningful.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I prefer the honest ones. For example, I don't really believe anything McCarthy says about anyone because he never says anything that isn't totally glowing. I do like the unsolicited comments though. In other words if a media guy says "how is Smith doing" and McCarthy (or whomever) goes on to tell us he is the greatest player in the world it's meaningless to me because that's all he ever says. But, if the media guy says "Who is impressing you this camp" without naming a specific player and McCarthy brings up Smith and then goes on and on about how well he is doing, I find it more meaningful.
I get it, I also get coachspeak....I did it for 29 years. You really can't expect a coach to put down a player....HCs are politicians, they tell you what you wanna hear.
Also, some of the ones that they point out is simply a psychology ploy. Build them up with the media and the pressure is on them to perform

Jarntt

Reaction score
My expectations for the first 3 picks:

Smith is a day one starter at LG playing pretty well. Then as the season goes on I thinks he’ll improve and by the end of the year be a really good starter. Then be much better year two.

I expect Williams to get significant rotational snaps as a pass rusher this season. I think he’ll do okay and get some sacks. I don’t think it’ll be anywhere close To the number Micah got but it might be as much as Gregory’s 6.

Tolbert was one of my favorite WR’s out of this draft and he’s going to have plenty of opportunity to produce. I think he will end up being the third receiver and have a decent amount of catches for a rookie.

So I guess I do have pretty high expectations for the first 3 picks… but it is honestly how I feel they’ll do.
But those aren't ridiculous expectations. Half the board has Clark being great. Let's see him get healthy and then let's see if he can play in this league. I absolutely loved the pick, but there's a difference between hoping or even thinking a guy will be a certain thing and building the team expecting him to be so when he hasn't even strapped on an NFL helmet. I have no problem with thinking a guy may do well. Personally I think going into the season with a 3rd round rookie from a small school whose 3 best games were against Georgia Southern, Louisiana Monroe and Coastal Carolina as a starting WR for up to 4ish games is foolish. He might be great, but what if he isn't? Roster building is about minimize exposure. Right now at WR and OT we have a huge "potential" problem. I'm not assuming Tolbert, Ball and a bunch of UDFAs are going to solve the problem if my job is on the line.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I get it, I also get coachspeak....I did it for 29 years. You really can't expect a coach to put down a player....HCs are politicians, they tell you what you wanna hear.
Also, some of the ones that they point out is simply a psychology ploy. Build them up with the media and the pressure is on them to perform

I agree, but this team and fanbase seems to go above and beyond what others do. For example I remember last year at this time Fehoko was going to be a huge part of our offense. What I do like is not officially handing Smith the job and giving McGovern first team reps. Make the kid earn it and keep him hungry. We all know he's going to win the job unless he crashes and burns.

Hardline

Reaction score
Just have more of an impact than Jermaine Johnson does for the Jets. That's all I ask.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
What Zeke says holds absolutely no leverage whatsoever at this end!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Just have more of an impact than Jermaine Johnson does for the Jets. That's all I ask.
Lol... I know that feeling.

I don't know what JJ is going to do for the Jets... but I think that Smith is going to be great in the trenches for a long time.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

I remember the early days of watching a young Larry Allen and coming away with the same impression, like a bull strong beast of a young OL.

Hardline

Reaction score
Lol...

I don't know what JJ is going to do for the Jets... but I think that Smith is going to be great in the trenches for a long time.
J.J. could be an absolute beast for the Jets.
It's easy to overlook loosing out on a J.J. Watt when you get a Tyron Smith instead.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
J.J. could be an absolute beast for the Jets.
It's easy to overlook loosing out on a J.J. Watt when you get a Tyron Smith instead.
I hear you. And I added to my post that I know that feeling because I have felt that way plenty of drafts.

I'm still upset about Aaron Donald, even though we got a hall of fame guy in that first round.

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
I hear you. And I added to my post that I know that feeling because I have felt that way plenty of drafts.

I'm stillbuoset about Aaron Finally, even though we got a hall of fame in that first round.
And now we got Anthony Barr who went ahead of both Donald and Zack in that same draft.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
As long as he keeps his hands inside the pads they shouldn't call it. Heck, our guys were getting bear hugged last year and they didn't call it.

Yeah but our guys were wearing Cowboys unis .. The NFL rulebook specifically states that bear hugging defensive players is okay when the defender is wearing a Cowboys uniform.