Zeke's most alarming stat the last few years - Is it over?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
For those that don't have ESPN+ and can't see more of the details on their coach/GM/player rankings of running backs, there were 6 RBs picked #1 overall. Derrick Henry had the most and highest votes so he was picked #1 overall. And Zeke was in the "Honorable Mention" category which means he received some Top 10 votes, but not enough to break the Top 10.

A big comment by the voters was that he lost his breakaway speed. For those of us watching the games, this has been apparent. Some blame the blocking.

But here are the longest runs in NFL year-by-year for every season they played for the 6 RBs picked as #1

Derrick Henry 22, 75, 99, 74, 94, 76 (Wow! Talk about dominance his entire career thus far)
Jonathan Taylor 62, 83
Nick Chubb 92, 88, 59, 70
Dalvin Cook 33, 70, 75, 70, 66
Alvin Kamara 74, 49, 40, 49, 30 (Ok, starting to get back to regular human here)
Joe Mixon 25, 51, 41, 34, 32

Zeke?

60, 30, 41, 33, 31, 47

Pollard?

44, 42, 58

Maybe Zeke never was that guy with breakaway speed? His rookie year was the best offensive line he'll ever play with, and he managed a 60 yard but it went back to earth pretty fast.

How about yards/attempt? Pretty similar line. Zeke compares with the guys ranked after the top 4, but still loses out to Pollard.

Derrick Henry 4.5, 4.2, 4.9, 5.1, 5.4, 4.3
Jonathan Taylor 5.0, 5.5
Nick Chubb 5.2, 5.0, 5.6, 5.5
Dalvin Cook 4.8, 4.6, 4.5, 5.0, 4.7
Alvin Kamara 6.1, 4.6, 4.7, 5.0, 3.7
Joe Mixon 3.5, 4.9, 4.1, 3.6, 4.1

Zeke?

5.1, 4.1, 4.7, 4.5, 4.0, 4.2

Pollard

5.3, 4.3, 5.5

So the number missing here is attempts. Can Pollard put up those numbers full-time? Doubtful. Zeke has been the workhorse of our team every year, while can't say the same about everyone on that top 1 list. Some of those guys did not average 300 attempts/year like Zeke, or couldn't play 16 games through everything. You also don't hear it on blocking and Zeke always has his boy Dak's back. This is why you hear it from guys like Aikman - love his heart, love his will -- Zeke will play through anything and is a workhorse, but unfortunately, you don't win points for that, and why we should at least try to give Pollard a shot to have more carries vs Zeke. You also don't win points for playing hurt. It does help you though win the total rushing yards title in a season.

But I guess I'm trying to say, not everything is black & white. Is Zeke that same superstar in his earliest years? No. Especially with him not able to consistently be the workhorse. But he's still one of the better RBs in the league all things considered. The things that get Zeke is he's being paid more than anyone on that list. That I can't argue with, nor can I argue with the fact that none of those guys didn't cost as high a draft pick. None of those #1 votes above was drafted in the first round!

I tried looking around for guys that came out of nowhere after 6 seasons and started leading the league again in stats. Even Emmitt after 6 years never put in one of those stat heavy years again, but he did maintain consistency and was that freak iron horse we all love. Bettis rebounded after 3 years. Even John Riggins in his rebirth with the Skins still put up numbers similar to Zeke's current numbers. Adrian Peterson had a great year at age 30 after all those injuries. But it is tough to find RBs that came back after six seasons.

So yes, probably Zeke's last year unless he takes a sizeable pay cut to stay in Dallas. And yes, we'll find someone who can still put up numbers if we draft right. Appreciate all Zeke did, and I hope he proves everyone wrong, because he is one of my favorite players because of all the intangibles I mentioned - plays hurt, blocks, team player - but won't be surprised to see him in another uniform next year if he doesn't have a miraculous comeback this year which looks unlikely.

He is NOT one of the better RB's in the league. That is the whole point.

You take out his ability to handle tons of carries and what is he? A slow plodding, back that needs tons of carries and still doenst really get the job done.

People are so infatuated with a "workhorse back". Who cares? This is how we got into this salary problem in the first place. There is no NFL written rule that you have to give all or 80% of your carries to one back. LOL

Here is the reality. Pollard is the better, more effective RB. How many touches can he handle a week? I would say around 15 per week. 10-12 runs and 5 receptions. So that is your mark. The #1 priority with the RB group would be to get Pollard those touches. And then Zeke and the other RB's take the rest. And certainly you space out the touches of Pollard throughout the game.

So in reality, Pollard gets 10 carries, Zeke probably gets 10-15 in the run game. It actually works out. But Pollard is the main weapon. Or at least until you get another young back in here that is as good or better than Pollard.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If it's over for him in Dallas it will be due to the cap. He's a good back not great and he's being paid like a great back. Call it hate or call it just doing business. I think it's just doing business.

He's not the guy that's going to turn a missed tackle into a 60-yard run, he's the guy that will break two 2-3 tackles on the way to a 20-30 yard run.

He hardly breaks tackles anymore. And those 20-30 yards runs he has like 2 times a year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We've all seen Zeke's speed decline over the years. Look at some videos of him at Ohio State and you will wonder what happened to that guy.

I hate for the Cowboys to cut Zeke but it's either that or eat his deal because there is no way he takes a big enough reduction in salary to justify his stats. I mean, if his deal was for only $9M a year he would still be over paid.

The Cowboys could draft a RB in the 3rd and get comparable production at a fraction of the cost. Use Zeke's money to plug a hole (or 2) and overall the team gets better.

Common sense

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Actually he’s not that guy who’s going to break 2-3 tackles. He only broke 9 tackles for the entire 2021 season. To put that into perspective Marion Barber once broke 6 tackles on one run. Zeke was 47th in rushing attempts/broken tackle at 26.3.

Does anyone realize how pathetic that is? One could argue that Zeke running the football is just bad.

Motorola

Reaction score
To be honest.

He was also a freak in 2017. Since his suspension is when I have seen his game decline. I dont know if that has anything to do with it obviously but since that suspension he isnt the same guy.
Elliott had two of his best seasons in his career after the suspension -2018 and 2019.
The dropoff really began with the 2020 season - and continued through last year.
It's just the accumulation of his play = wear and tear in the NFL...happens to all players eventually.
Missing 6 games because of a suspension in his 2nd year had nothing to do with Elliott's decline.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke came in the League the same year as the "Great" Derek Henry. The most telling stat is that he has the most yards rushing since 2016 and the 3rd most TDs in the same time frame. But, more importantly, he missed games due to suspension, coaches decision (sitting him out during the last game of the season twice) and injury. Plus, Cowboys fans have seen him split carries last season with Pollard.

Zeke is one of the best backs in the League. Should EASILY be in the top 10. And yes...he is better than his backup. Currently, in college and high school...in other words, on every level.

Smh
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree Sequel Elliott is an ongoing mistake.
I disagree it was a mistake in drafting him. Some players just break down earlier.

Wait a minute here matey!!!!!

You would use the 5th pick in the first round on a player that you know would only be able to play 4 good years? And you would do it again knowing that?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
To be honest.

He was also a freak in 2017. Since his suspension is when I have seen his game decline. I dont know if that has anything to do with it obviously but since that suspension he isnt the same guy.

As soon as the Oline went, Zeke went. He never really had great speed. The Oline was just soooo good that the holes were massive. Zeke got lucky the Cowboys drafted him while we had the best line in the NFL. Amazing rookie year gave him everyones first impression and it was already locked in.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Elliott had two of his best seasons in his career after the suspension -2018 and 2019.
The dropoff really began with the 2020 season - and continued through last year.
It's just the accumulation of his play = wear and tear in the NFL...happens to all players eventually.
Missing 6 games because of a suspension in his 2nd year had nothing to do with Elliott's decline.
No no I know. I am just saying I saw a change mentally since then.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Not very nice. lol.

I am just saying I saw something mentally change with him after that.

He was known before that to believe that he was "untouchable" hence his escapades at Ohio State. Just an opinion. It is obviously wear and tear as well. No need to laugh at me brother we agree on almost everything. DONT BE MEAN lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not very nice. lol.

I am just saying I saw something mentally change with him after that.

He was known before that to believe that he was "untouchable" hence his escapades at Ohio State. Just an opinion. It is obviously wear and tear as well. No need to laugh at me brother we agree on almost everything. DONT BE MEAN lol

I think I responded to the wrong post. I was laughing at the guy that said Zeke is still the best RB in the NFL.

blueblood70

Reaction score
For those that don't have ESPN+ and can't see more of the details on their coach/GM/player rankings of running backs, there were 6 RBs picked #1 overall. Derrick Henry had the most and highest votes so he was picked #1 overall. And Zeke was in the "Honorable Mention" category which means he received some Top 10 votes, but not enough to break the Top 10.

A big comment by the voters was that he lost his breakaway speed. For those of us watching the games, this has been apparent. Some blame the blocking.

But here are the longest runs in NFL year-by-year for every season they played for the 6 RBs picked as #1

Derrick Henry 22, 75, 99, 74, 94, 76 (Wow! Talk about dominance his entire career thus far)
Jonathan Taylor 62, 83
Nick Chubb 92, 88, 59, 70
Dalvin Cook 33, 70, 75, 70, 66
Alvin Kamara 74, 49, 40, 49, 30 (Ok, starting to get back to regular human here)
Joe Mixon 25, 51, 41, 34, 32

Zeke?

60, 30, 41, 33, 31, 47

Pollard?

44, 42, 58

Maybe Zeke never was that guy with breakaway speed? His rookie year was the best offensive line he'll ever play with, and he managed a 60 yard but it went back to earth pretty fast.

How about yards/attempt? Pretty similar line. Zeke compares with the guys ranked after the top 4, but still loses out to Pollard.

Derrick Henry 4.5, 4.2, 4.9, 5.1, 5.4, 4.3
Jonathan Taylor 5.0, 5.5
Nick Chubb 5.2, 5.0, 5.6, 5.5
Dalvin Cook 4.8, 4.6, 4.5, 5.0, 4.7
Alvin Kamara 6.1, 4.6, 4.7, 5.0, 3.7
Joe Mixon 3.5, 4.9, 4.1, 3.6, 4.1

Zeke?

5.1, 4.1, 4.7, 4.5, 4.0, 4.2

Pollard

5.3, 4.3, 5.5

So the number missing here is attempts. Can Pollard put up those numbers full-time? Doubtful. Zeke has been the workhorse of our team every year, while can't say the same about everyone on that top 1 list. Some of those guys did not average 300 attempts/year like Zeke, or couldn't play 16 games through everything. You also don't hear it on blocking and Zeke always has his boy Dak's back. This is why you hear it from guys like Aikman - love his heart, love his will -- Zeke will play through anything and is a workhorse, but unfortunately, you don't win points for that, and why we should at least try to give Pollard a shot to have more carries vs Zeke. You also don't win points for playing hurt. It does help you though win the total rushing yards title in a season.

But I guess I'm trying to say, not everything is black & white. Is Zeke that same superstar in his earliest years? No. Especially with him not able to consistently be the workhorse. But he's still one of the better RBs in the league all things considered. The things that get Zeke is he's being paid more than anyone on that list. That I can't argue with, nor can I argue with the fact that none of those guys didn't cost as high a draft pick. None of those #1 votes above was drafted in the first round!

I tried looking around for guys that came out of nowhere after 6 seasons and started leading the league again in stats. Even Emmitt after 6 years never put in one of those stat heavy years again, but he did maintain consistency and was that freak iron horse we all love. Bettis rebounded after 3 years. Even John Riggins in his rebirth with the Skins still put up numbers similar to Zeke's current numbers. Adrian Peterson had a great year at age 30 after all those injuries. But it is tough to find RBs that came back after six seasons.

So yes, probably Zeke's last year unless he takes a sizeable pay cut to stay in Dallas. And yes, we'll find someone who can still put up numbers if we draft right. Appreciate all Zeke did, and I hope he proves everyone wrong, because he is one of my favorite players because of all the intangibles I mentioned - plays hurt, blocks, team player - but won't be surprised to see him in another uniform next year if he doesn't have a miraculous comeback this year which looks unlikely.
very nice write up..agree those that want to run zeke out and exaggerate his demise are just haters that are not seeing the clear big picture to zekes production dropping.

I mean they rag on his putrid only broke 1k yards on one leg yet he was one of only 7 RBs with over 1k last year only one player over 1300 yards and that was Taylor , was only one 1200 the rest were right there around Zeke and he played with bad back and torn knee the last 8 games. apparently 17 games still isn't getting most Rbs over 1k..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke came in the League the same year as the "Great" Derek Henry. The most telling stat is that he has the most yards rushing since 2016 and the 3rd most TDs in the same time frame. But, more importantly, he missed games due to suspension, coaches decision (sitting him out during the last game of the season twice) and injury. Plus, Cowboys fans have seen him split carries last season with Pollard.

Zeke is one of the best backs in the League. Should EASILY be in the top 10. And yes...he is better than his backup. Currently, in college and high school...in other words, on every level.

Smh

:laugh::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Livin in the past. Zeke's days as a top back are toast. And when taking his salary into account he might be the least desirable RB in the NFL and worst overall.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
very nice write up..agree those that want to run zeke out and exaggerate his demise are just haters that are not seeing the clear big picture to zekes production dropping.

I mean they rag on his putrid only broke 1k yards on one leg yet he was one of only 7 RBs with over 1k last year only one player over 1300 yards and that was Taylor , was only one 1200 the rest were right there around Zeke and he played with bad back and torn knee the last 8 games. apparently 17 games still isn't getting most Rbs over 1k..

So you would pay Zeke 18 million to do what he is doing here? Zeke needed 17 games and 250 carries to get over 1000 yards. LOL

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke had a couple things going for him in 2016 that he will not have not have this year. He's never gonna be in the shape he was in his rookie season the quickness may be close but but it's not gonna be enough to get him past linebackers without a clean shot. Second was the offense Linehan designed for both him and Dak . All the motion and RPOS kept safeties frozen until the option happened LBs only got a arm on him and he was full speed at safeties allowing him to juke and break it
I hate Scott s base offense and his predictable playcalls .But the offense he assembled in 2016 fit our guys to a tee
For their sakes in hope we return to something similar

basel90

Reaction score
I agree Sequel Elliott is an ongoing mistake.
I disagree it was a mistake in drafting him. Some players just break down earlier.
yes but 4th overall for a RB ? given he had attitude and legal issues since his ohio state days. plus there was jalen ramsey , derrick henry at a lower pick as an option.
the biggest dilemma is the renewal contract which was crazy .

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Wait a minute here matey!!!!!

You would use the 5th pick in the first round on a player that you know would only be able to play 4 good years? And you would do it again knowing that?

No one KNEW he'd break own this quick, Erasmo.
And no one without a DeLorean would do this again.
Bloke, check for exhaust fumes in your hut or car.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Zeke ate, partied, and Cabo'd his way out of the HoF. He was that good. Yet that great rookie year is a long ways away. Personally I think he is finished as a featured back. He would not hold up. If Dallas used him like Barber as a 2H closer he could revitalize his career some. Moore is too dumb for that.