Zekes practice load?

exciter

Reaction score
there will be some guys that are cap casulties, there will be trade options, there will be some surprise releases...got to remember there is a lot of time until the season starts and there will certainly be options to improve...the qustion is going to be the right fit and price.
Right! But someone did a fairly realistic list just yesterday of players most likely to meet those criteria you mentioned. It wasn’t all that inspiring. Many (Connar) is just as worn down as Zeke. The rest aren’t likely to be much better than Malik Davis. Chubba Hubbard would be the cream of the crop but would require the most draft capital to pry away!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right! But someone did a fairly realistic list just yesterday of players most likely to meet those criteria you mentioned. It wasn’t all that inspiring. Many (Connar) is just as worn down as Zeke. The rest aren’t likely to be much better than Malik Davis. Chubba Hubbard would be the cream of the crop but would require the most draft capital to pry away!
Yep...we backed ourselves into this corner...i say make the best of it. Not sure doing crappy jokes is that....but humans will human.

Jipper

Reaction score
thats fair and I am sure there will be some surprise cuts and guys available for trade too....its not over on may 1st, long way to go before we get to the season. Also, if our oline comes together for run blocking like we think it should, that will make a bigger impact than anyone that can be signed right now. A weak back behind a great line > A great back behind a weak line.

exciter

Reaction score
thats fair and I am sure there will be some surprise cuts and guys available for trade too....its not over on may 1st, long way to go before we get to the season. Also, if our oline comes together for run blocking like we think it should, that will make a bigger impact than anyone that can be signed right now. A weak back behind a great line > A great back behind a weak line.
Weak back great line. Didn’t we live through that delusion with Joseph Randle? Then there’s the issue of possibly having 2 rookie starters playing positions they’ve never played… one with the fairly complicated task of learning to snap and making line calls and adjustments. Then there’s the little issue that even the current proven players didn’t look awe inspiring in this inside zone/man run blocking scheme that was implemented last season!

DallasMike

Reaction score
And Zeke has over 800 more attempts, that’s like 3 full seasons more condensed in the same timeframe.
Remember Otis Anderson on the Giants? He had as many attempts as Zeke currently has. Before coming to the Giants. And he played several pretty seasons. With 2 decent ones.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Remember Otis Anderson on the Giants? He had as many attempts as Zeke currently has. Before coming to the Giants. And he played several pretty seasons. With 2 decent ones.
Henry has 30 less career carries and is still more productive. Clinton Portis, Tiki Barber, and Peterson all had more productive careers and didn't fall off as fast as Zeke

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Henry has 30 less career carries and is still more productive. Clinton Portis, Tiki Barber, and Peterson all had more productive careers and didn't fall off as fast as Zeke
Henry played for the right head coach.. Vrabel and Co. kept giving him the ball even when he would be averaging like 2 ypc because 1) they didn't believe in Tannehill and 2) they knew it was just a matter of time before the dam broke. I will never forget that Seattle game where Henry had like 20 yards on 20 carries and then went for 60 on his 21st carry to send the game into OT and then won it with like a 30 yarder in OT. The Cowboys were never that committed to giving Zeke the ball come hell or high water like that. After Linehan left and the offense was handed over to Moore the Cowboys running game was just never a priority. Meaning getting Zeke totes was never a priority. Sadly it's not going to change with McCarthy calling plays.. but at least McCarthy won't be running those stupid double reverses down in the red zone. McCarthy will hand it to Zeke and say "go git me six." Zeke might have 15 TDs this year. He will probably cost Dak 5-10 of those short TD passes..

jwitten82

Reaction score
Henry played for the right head coach.. Vrabel and Co. kept giving him the ball even when he would be averaging like 2 ypc because 1) they didn't believe in Tannehill and 2) they knew it was just a matter of time before the dam broke. I will never forget that Seattle game where Henry had like 20 yards on 20 carries and then went for 60 on his 21st carry to send the game into OT and then won it with like a 30 yarder in OT. The Cowboys were never that committed to giving Zeke the ball come hell or high water like that. After Linehan left and the offense was handed over to Moore the Cowboys running game was just never a priority. Meaning getting Zeke totes was never a priority. Sadly it's not going to change with McCarthy calling plays.. but at least McCarthy won't be running those stupid double reverses down in the red zone. McCarthy will hand it to Zeke and say "go git me six." Zeke might have 15 TDs this year. He will probably cost Dak 5-10 of those short TD passes..
Lol wasnt breaking any long runs like Henry. Henry just did more with his carries

Jipper

Reaction score
Weak back great line. Didn’t we live through that delusion with Joseph Randle? Then there’s the issue of possibly having 2 rookie starters playing positions they’ve never played… one with the fairly complicated task of learning to snap and making line calls and adjustments. Then there’s the little issue that even the current proven players didn’t look awe inspiring in this inside zone/man run blocking scheme that was implemented last season!
Joesph rand was never the bonified starter, he had 54 and 51 carriers in 2013 and 2014, then in 2015 he got more of a starters load for 6 games at 76 carries but even that was pretty limited. During 2013, 2014 demarco murray was the starter and in 2015 Darren McFadden was the starter.

So to answer your question, no we did not have that delusion with Joseph Randle, but in 2015, mcfadden was able to average 4.6 yards per carry on 239 carries when many viewed him as on the tail end of his career which also supports the point i am making.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
LOL that fat POS can't even get 4 YPC anymore and now he doesn't even have to show up for practice. I hate this team.

exciter

Reaction score
Joesph rand was never the bonified starter, he had 54 and 51 carriers in 2013 and 2014, then in 2015 he got more of a starters load for 6 games at 76 carries but even that was pretty limited. During 2013, 2014 demarco murray was the starter and in 2015 Darren McFadden was the starter.

So to answer your question, no we did not have that delusion with Joseph Randle, but in 2015, mcfadden was able to average 4.6 yards per carry on 239 carries when many viewed him as on the tail end of his career which also supports the point i am making.
McFadden success came after switching the blocking scheme from outside zone to man a quarter into the season and after Randle failed. We already know Zeke is going to fail regardless of scheme. Exactly who do you see being the savior behind him!

Jipper

Reaction score
McFadden success came after switching the blocking scheme from outside zone to man a quarter into the season and after Randle failed. We already know Zeke is going to fail regardless of scheme. Exactly who do you see being the savior behind him!
you keep trying to change the story to fit your narrative - my point still sticks and zeke is going to be a role player not the RB1. I have no idea who they are going to bring in (as i stated already) but they will bring in a rb1 for sure, either by trade/someones cut

exciter

Reaction score
you keep trying to change the story to fit your narrative - my point still sticks and zeke is going to be a role player not the RB1. I have no idea who they are going to bring in (as i stated already) but they will bring in a rb1 for sure, either by trade/someones cut
Hmm… and you believe that after right out of Jerry’s mouth “Zeke is still a starting RB in this league”! He’ll be the de facto starter up until week 5 or 6 when it finally sinks in he’s not and then they’ll drop a 2nd round pick on a 3rd string quality RB out of desperation!

plymkr

Reaction score
Zeke has A LOT of tread on his tires, does it make sense to limit him (like Tyron Smith) in training camp and the regular season practices to get as much out of him on game day as possible? He’s a vet and MM run scheme isn’t complicated. Just curious what yall think.
I agree. Try and keep him fresh for the games. He’s a vet and he knows what he’s doing. I agree with your idea of giving him the Tyron treatment.

plymkr

Reaction score
I disagree, he’s not a rb1 anymore, just doesn’t have that skill set - he’s going to be a role player.

Dallas isn’t done addressing the rb position yet
Hopefully you’re right. We need a RB1. If Jerry and DNA boy go into the season believing Zeke is RB1 then we’re screwed. I do like the idea of limiting Zeke regardless if he’s RB1 or RB2.

Mcsports

Reaction score
"Has a lot of tread on those tires". I don't think that means what you think it means.
He has a lot of mileage on those tires. Meaning not much tread is left. He was washed when they cut him last year. He didn't get any less washed since. Good goal line, short yardage guy. If he's your one then this offense will have the same issues where teams know they can control the run game even with a light box and drop extra men in coverage. Henry would have been just what they needed.
Probably meant "He has a lot of wear on those tires."
Members of national media make the mistake often, too.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Resting balled tires doesn’t fix the tire.