Twitter: Zeke's rookie burst is back

817Gill

Reaction score
Same story as the last two years. Hype video with garbage cans again incoming?

Don't worry KM will call his typical run up the gut for 2 yards plays that a middle school kid could acknowledge was coming
And last year they were correct lol. Those first few games before the PCL we were all shocked at how quick he looked.

Why are we acting like that didn’t exist?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Honestly we all blast him and are tired of this. But imo I think he was playing pretty well before the injury last season.

we will probably never see vintage zeke but maybe 1200 rushing yard season again.

I think before last year that Elliott thought his best way to succeed and maintain success in this league was to get big and powerful. He's hard to stop for negative yardage, so I think he tried to build on that. Last offseason, he seemed to realize that he was sacrificing quickness and dropped back to his college weight. That appeared to have paid off until the injury.

I do wonder how much of his weight gain/loss was on him and how much of it was what his coaches wanted him to do. Garrett may have told him that what they need from him is to consistently get three or four yards so he needs to focus on power. McCarthy may have asked him to trim up to provide more quickness.

We sometimes act like players do all these things on their own, but they have coaches and trainers telling them what they need to do. Many of us remember Parcells turning Julius Jones into a different kind of back than he initially was because he felt that 3 yards and a cloud of dust was more important than breakaway ability.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Can't wait for the hype videos where he jukes a garbage can.

Seriously, though, I hope he finds that fountain of youth and gets that rookie year burst back.

He's only 26. To say his body is worn out from all those carries doesn't really make the most sense. It's not like he's 29. I didn't even know Zeke had an injury, but that really explains a lot for Zeke.

Given this detail, it doesn't explain a lot about how the coaching staff handled it because it doesn't make any sense why Pollard wasn't given a larger role in the offense.

That kind of stubbornness from coaches is just as bad as Cooper's prima donna laziness and his aversion to contact.

If Pollard had gotten Zeke's carries, we win vs. San Fran, imo. I don't think it's a reach to say that either.

Dang he does not look like he is 195 years old

Genetics.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
All jokes aside and I do get it, but through five games last year Zeke was on pace for his biggest season since his rookie year. Then he hurt his knee.

Hope springs eternal in May but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt- for now.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And last year they were correct lol. Those first few games before the PCL we were all shocked at how quick he looked.

Why are we acting like that didn’t exist?

He suffered the injury against the Panthers then a week later he had one of his best games of the season.

The injury was an excuse.

fivetwos

Reaction score
and he looked great the first 7 games before his PCL and back injuires.5.1 YPC and was perform at a high level..
If you think back to 2020 before he started fumbling a lot, around the time Dak got hurt, he was running well then also. Then he got banged up, and the season was lost anyway. He was strong as can be out the gate in 21 also, then he fell on a pylon cam and wasn't the same thereafter.

I'm hoping for more in 22 but I think it's safe to say that we will get a strong performance this year until he ends up hurt again.

They may want to figure out a way to keep him healthy over the long haul by reducing his workload but I don't know if the run game is a priority for the powers that be. I really don't.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He suffered the injury against the Panthers then a week later he had one of his best games of the season.

Why, exactly, does that mean that the injury was an excuse?

Partially torn PCL is going to impact the way any player performs..

To think otherwise is naive.

Injuries like that take time to start effecting mobility.. sometimes, you don't feel any pain until a couple weeks.. and it effects your knees.. Those things required to run fast...

817Gill

Reaction score

It’s impossible for injuries to worsen?

Sheesh here I was thinking a minor injury could get worse from playing on it but boy was I wrong. Ligament tears don’t tear more the more you play on it huh. Who woulda thunk it?

Good information to know. Anytime someone has a slight tear I will now assume that tear cannot worsen because that’s just not possible. Love learning new things!

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

That was the first game after the injury and it got progressively worse after that. He was a one-legged running back by November.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That was the first game after the injury and it got progressively worse after that. He was a one-legged running back by November.

People also forget he had to leave that Giants game several times because the knee was bothering him. If I recall correctly he sat most of the 4th quarter of that game. I think he played one drive, scored a TD and called it a night. But again, narratives are more important than facts to some people.

jay94

Reaction score
Zeke had the best run blocking of a decade, and now we see he is nothing without it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Here we go with the hype
yeah saw the title, and thought they saying this crap again??
lets see what he does those first 2 games !

Also this is justification for keeping him #1 back and pollard on bench most of the time.
Never seen a team as stupid as cowboys, playing elliot over pollard.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Zeke will never be a homerun threat, but if this OL can regain some composure and they should, then Zeke can be powerful at the POA and LOS.
This team refuses to invest in RB3 upgrades, so we hope that Zeke and Pollard can carry the entire load, which is asking a lot in todays extended season.
Needed that 3rd RB, but as usual this team is a a day late and a dollar short of keeping up with the rest of the league.