Zeke's the best RB prospect since All Day

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
"Ezekiel Elliott may not be Todd Gurley, but he also may be the best and most complete running back prospect to come out of college since Adrian Peterson."
- Sam Monson, Pro Football Focus
Ezekiel Elliott is a great player who has heard a lot of praise since throwing his name into the NFL Draft. He impressed at the combine, and he's known for his great skills not only as a runner, but as a pass catcher, and a blocker as well. But this might be the highest praise he has received yet. Adrian Peterson is one of those players that has been called the last of his kind. A complete back that you can play on all three downs, somebody who is an unstoppable force.

That's pretty good to hear for Zeke, who has been mocked to teams such as the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Giants, who already have pieces in place. His complete skill set should make for an immediate impact wherever he does land. Monson starts by touching on his blocking, adding that it's not his best skill, but the fact that he's capable puts him high up on boards immediately, since most college backs aren't involved in pass blocking. Monson also takes note of the fact that he's great after contact, and reading the defense. His list of things that Zeke struggles with was pretty simple and compact: nothing.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Of course, I want the quarterback. But if Wentz or Goff are not there, I'm getting more and more comfortable with taking Zeke with our fourth. At first, I was against it because it's too high in the draft.

But I have been sold on Zeke every since I saw him demolish the Michigan, Alabama and Oregon defenses. And the way he holds the ball makes it hard to strip.
I think he would have the single biggest impact on the Cowboys offense and defense this year than any other player.

And, truth be told, I think the Cowboys are targeting these players in this order ...

1. Wentz
2. Elliott
3. Ramsay

tyke1doe

Reaction score
yet all the scouts rave about his all around ball skills? I just hope the iggles don't get him and we don't have to see what we missed out on twice a year..would be moss X 10 imo...

After their free agency signings, if he's there for the Giants, they're going to take him.

I'd just hate to see Odell Beckham Jr., Eli Manning and Ezekiel Elliott all on the same offense.

In fact, if that happened, I would pick the Giants to take the NFC East.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
After their free agency signings, if he's there for the Giants, they're going to take him.

I'd just hate to see Odell Beckham Jr., Eli Manning and Ezekiel Elliott all on the same offense.

In fact, if that happened, I would pick the Giants to take the NFC East.

yeah i agree in either situation seeing him twice a year wouldn't be fun...maybe with them not signing miller this is what they are thinking but they have to realize like all of us both of those teams are setting themselves up to go in his direction if he falls...look at a possible trade down now no where to go with the iggles in the top ten now.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Thank God you're not a scout or GM - because I don't know what the hell you've been watching. The kid can do everything.

This. I admit that I was in the "you can't take a rb that early" crowd not too long ago, but this is a special talent. What's his weakness? Runs with power, has break away speed, good hands, runs good routes out of the backfield, and is one of the few college backs who can step right in and pass block. I wouldn't hate taking elliott one bit.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Thank God you're not a scout or GM - because I don't know what the hell you've been watching. The kid can do everything.

I agree with him..

He's good don't get me wrong but hype is putting him in the first round and there will be guys found all throughout rounds that will have similar production to this guy.

This isn't a ADRIAN Peterson type talent.. I don't even know if he'll be as good as Leveon Bell.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

He's a RB. The best available but teams don't draft RB's high anymore. The days of an every down back are gone our offense not being the exception.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
He's a RB. The best available but teams don't draft RB's high anymore. The days of an every down back are gone our offense not being the exception.

Gurley went 10th last year with a torn acl. Plus In 2014 we did have an every down back, and Elliott would be pretty close to every down on this offense.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Gurley went 10th last year with a torn acl. Plus In 2014 we did have an every down back, and Elliott would be pretty close to every down on this offense.

If we draft him it will be in the 2nd depending on who else is available.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I have been slowly coming around on Zeke. This draft is loaded defensively, i think there are plenty of great prospects in rounds 2 and beyond.

waving monkey

Reaction score
As far as impact player next year I can't think of another player
who would give us more.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I have a higher grade on Gurley from last draft than Zeke from this year.

Sydla

Reaction score
Of course, I want the quarterback. But if Wentz or Goff are not there, I'm getting more and more comfortable with taking Zeke with our fourth. At first, I was against it because it's too high in the draft.

But I have been sold on Zeke every since I saw him demolish the Michigan, Alabama and Oregon defenses. And the way he holds the ball makes it hard to strip.
I think he would have the single biggest impact on the Cowboys offense and defense this year than any other player.

And, truth be told, I think the Cowboys are targeting these players in this order ...

1. Wentz
2. Elliott
3. Ramsay

So just so we understand this.

Cowboys have been pretty clear they won't pay a lot for TBs. It's why they offered Murray just 4 years, $24MM with $12MM guaranteed and balked at coming close to what Miller signed with Miami for - 4 years, $26MM with $14MM.

But they will then turn around and use the 4th pick on a TB and pay him $25MM GUARANTEED.

They do that and they just basically told their fans that previous stances and lines in the sand in what they would pay a TB and how they don't value them at premium dollars was pretty much BS.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So just so we understand this.

Cowboys have been pretty clear they won't pay a lot for TBs. It's why they offered Murray just 4 years, $24MM with $12MM guaranteed and balked at coming close to what Miller signed with Miami for - 4 years, $26MM with $14MM.

But they will then turn around and use the 4th pick on a TB and pay him $25MM GUARANTEED.

They do that and they just basically told their fans that previous stances and lines in the sand in what they would pay a TB and how they don't value them at premium dollars was pretty much BS.

First, I don't recall Jerry/Stephen Jones ever saying they won't pay that much for a running back. You can't use what the Cowboys were willing to pay DeMarco Murray and what they weren't willing to pay Lamar Miller as an ironclad rule on how the Cowboys plan to deal with all running backs from here on out.

Second, there are reasons why the Cowboys didn't break the bank to resign Murray. And those reasons have been enumerated on this board ad nauseum. Murray was older (26), had carried the ball 392 times (sans two playoff games) and had been injured in previous years. Combine those factors with the average life span of running backs, and one should be able to see why they didn't resign Murrary.

As for Miller, I don't know why the Cowboys didn't sign him. Maybe they feel they can get a younger back in the draft. Would you pay a little bit more for a younger back (Ezekiel will be 20 during the season) with less wear and tear on his body than a back who is slightly older and has some wear and tear, even if it's not much?

And I don't recall any scouts or teams talking about Lamar Miller coming out of college like I hear them talking about Ezekiel Elliott.

In short, I don't think you can look at the Cowboys' approach to the running back position and conclude definitely that they'll never pay or take a running back high in the draft. You do have a few patterns that seem to indicate that, true. But I don't think that's necessarily etched in stone.

But we shall see.

Sydla

Reaction score
Actually they did kind of hint at the fact they believe they don't need to invest a lot of money into the TB position because they feel it's a position where injuries happen a lot and wear and tear takes its toll.

From PFT last year:

And so the position is one you have to take into consideration no matter what the skill level is, they take a lot of hits, lot of punishment, and you got a good chance to have an injury issue. And that’s why we couldn’t make that kind of commitment of dollars to that position.”

So if they take Elliott at 4 and hand him $25MM guaranteed money, they basically just did a 180 on their stated stance on TBs.