Zeke's the best RB prospect since All Day

gmoney112

Reaction score
The most complete back since AD!

Except he's not as good a runner as Gurley, is just "capable" of pass blocking, and caught a whopping 20 passes in college.

Haha.

lkelly

Reaction score
Who was the last running back to come out of Urban Meyer's system and really light the world on fire?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Ezekiel Elliott may not be Todd Gurley, but he also may be the best and most complete running back prospect to come out of college since Adrian Peterson."
- Sam Monson, Pro Football Focus
Ezekiel Elliott is a great player who has heard a lot of praise since throwing his name into the NFL Draft. He impressed at the combine, and he's known for his great skills not only as a runner, but as a pass catcher, and a blocker as well. But this might be the highest praise he has received yet. Adrian Peterson is one of those players that has been called the last of his kind. A complete back that you can play on all three downs, somebody who is an unstoppable force.

That's pretty good to hear for Zeke, who has been mocked to teams such as the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Giants, who already have pieces in place. His complete skill set should make for an immediate impact wherever he does land. Monson starts by touching on his blocking, adding that it's not his best skill, but the fact that he's capable puts him high up on boards immediately, since most college backs aren't involved in pass blocking. Monson also takes note of the fact that he's great after contact, and reading the defense. His list of things that Zeke struggles with was pretty simple and compact: nothing.

Do you know who the last guy to be called "the best and most complete prospect since Adrian Peterson"?

That would be Trent Richardson.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/2/2...rdson-is-the-best-running-back-prospect-since

And Mayock was not alone in that belief.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First, I don't recall Jerry/Stephen Jones ever saying they won't pay that much for a running back. You can't use what the Cowboys were willing to pay DeMarco Murray and what they weren't willing to pay Lamar Miller as an ironclad rule on how the Cowboys plan to deal with all running backs from here on out.

Second, there are reasons why the Cowboys didn't break the bank to resign Murray. And those reasons have been enumerated on this board ad nauseum. Murray was older (26), had carried the ball 392 times (sans two playoff games) and had been injured in previous years. Combine those factors with the average life span of running backs, and one should be able to see why they didn't resign Murrary.

As for Miller, I don't know why the Cowboys didn't sign him. Maybe they feel they can get a younger back in the draft. Would you pay a little bit more for a younger back (Ezekiel will be 20 during the season) with less wear and tear on his body than a back who is slightly older and has some wear and tear, even if it's not much?

And I don't recall any scouts or teams talking about Lamar Miller coming out of college like I hear them talking about Ezekiel Elliott.

In short, I don't think you can look at the Cowboys' approach to the running back position and conclude definitely that they'll never pay or take a running back high in the draft. You do have a few patterns that seem to indicate that, true. But I don't think that's necessarily etched in stone.

But we shall see.

I think what you CAN conclude is that it would be incredibly stupid to pass on a young, improving, proven running back at the NFL level for those dollars, and then to turn around and not only pay MORE money for an unproven rookie, but to use the #4 overall pick to do it!

That would be MORONIC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gurley was the last guy to get Peterson praise. Maybe not the exact phrase you used, but the title nonetheless. He was hailed as a generational talent by almost everyone covering the draft.

I didn't realize that Gurley got that title too. I guess it's thrown around more than I thought. Kind of takes the shine off of it, doesn't it? Is it an annual thing now?

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I didn't realize that Gurley got that title too. I guess it's thrown around more than I thought. Kind of takes the shine off of it, doesn't it? Is it an annual thing now?

Maybe. He routinely got the "best RB prospect since Peterson" tag as well as the generational prospect tag though. I've seen very little talk of Zeke being compared to that other than this article.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe. He routinely got the "best RB prospect since Peterson" tag as well as the generational prospect tag though. I've seen very little talk of Zeke being compared to that other than this article.

I don't see Elliott being as explosive or having the vision that Gurley has.

He's a fine running back but I want nothing to do with him at #4 overall.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
If we draft him it will be in the 2nd depending on who else is available.

If you actually think he's gonna be available in Round 2, you need to play the Lottery that day. Because, you obviously know something that even the experts don't know.

Sydla

Reaction score
And note, it's quite possible the Cowboys would take Elliott at 4. But in order for them to do that, they'd have to clearly do a 180 on their existing stance of how they value the TB position.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If you actually think he's gonna be available in Round 2, you need to play the Lottery that day. Because, you obviously know something that even the experts don't know.

I don't think he will. Some team will reach in the first.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think what you CAN conclude is that it would be incredibly stupid to pass on a young, improving, proven running back at the NFL level for those dollars, and then to turn around and not only pay MORE money for an unproven rookie, but to use the #4 overall pick to do it!

That would be MORONIC.

Except ... in the case of running backs, it's the one position you can plug and play. Unproven isn't as bad for running backs as it would be for quarterbacks, wide receivers, etc.

Nevertheless, I don't have any power over whom the Cowboys pick. So I'm really not going to get bent out of shape over these draft scenarios.

I'm just stating what I think the Cowboys could do. Time will tell.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I don't see Elliott being as explosive or having the vision that Gurley has.

He's a fine running back but I want nothing to do with him at #4 overall.

I don't think he is either. Gurley was the highest graded RB I've personally ever done(started 5 years ago). I have a fairly large gap between Zeke and Gurley from a strictly number grade standpoint.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except ... in the case of running backs, they're the one position you can plug and play. Unproven isn't as bad for running backs as it would be for quarterbacks, wide receivers, etc.

Nevertheless, I don't have any power over whom the Cowboys pick. So I'm really not going to get bent out of shape over this draft scenarios.

Does it not strike you as contradictory that the Cowboys would balk at the cost of backs like Murray and then Miller, but turn around and pay this guy and use the #4 overall pick to do it? Looks asinine to me.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Does it not strike you as contradictory that the Cowboys would balk at the cost of backs like Murray and then Miller, but turn around and pay this guy and use the #4 overall pick to do it? Looks asinine to me.

Not based on the criteria I outlined. Murray wasn't getting that kind of money from the Cowboys because of his age, his injuries and his workload.

I don't know why Lamar Miller didn't get it. Maybe the Cowboys didn't feel he was the type of back they were looking for.

What I'm saying is just because the Cowboys didn't up the ante on either Murray or Miller, doesn't mean their stance represents an ironclad rule.

Jerry/Stephen Jones didn't say they wouldn't pay a running back big time money, did they?

Therefore, one can't say they're going back on their approach when they never articulated that approach.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I don't get it. If he's the best RB since AP but he's still no Gurley, then what the heck does that make Gurley?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not based on the criteria I outlined. Murray wasn't getting that kind of money from the Cowboys because of his age, his injuries and his workload.

I don't know why Lamar Miller didn't get it. Maybe the Cowboys didn't feel he was the type of back they were looking for.

What I'm saying is just because the Cowboys didn't up the ante on either Murray or Miller, doesn't mean their stance represents an ironclad rule.

Jerry/Stephen Jones didn't say they wouldn't pay a running back big time money, did they?

Therefore, one can't say they're going back on their approach when they never articulated that approach.

My point is that regardless of what they have or haven't announced that it would beyond stupid to pass on proven backs based on cost and then use the #4 overall pick to do it.

I don't expect them to and I would heartily criticize them if they did.

marchetta

Reaction score
Of course, I want the quarterback. But if Wentz or Goff are not there, I'm getting more and more comfortable with taking Zeke with our fourth. At first, I was against it because it's too high in the draft.

But I have been sold on Zeke every since I saw him demolish the Michigan, Alabama and Oregon defenses. And the way he holds the ball makes it hard to strip.
I think he would have the single biggest impact on the Cowboys offense and defense this year than any other player.

And, truth be told, I think the Cowboys are targeting these players in this order ...

1. Wentz
2. Elliott
3. Ramsay

That's my ranking also. Keeping fingers crossed.

Sydla

Reaction score
Except ... in the case of running backs, it's the one position you can plug and play. Unproven isn't as bad for running backs as it would be for quarterbacks, wide receivers, etc.

Nevertheless, I don't have any power over whom the Cowboys pick. So I'm really not going to get bent out of shape over these draft scenarios.

And that's fine.

But in stating that Elliott is a guy they "could" take, it's fair to point out that if they did take Elliott, it's a clear reversal on a stance they've taken for a few years now, which is not to pay big dollars to a TB. I think that's more applicable to the discussion of whether they will take him or not than people thinking he's can do this or that behind this OL or his fit with the team.

As stated elsewhere in this thread, based on what they think and have said (and acted) about the value of the TB position on this team, passing up a kid like Miller to then pay a rookie TB basically double the guaranteed money would be a pretty bizarre move, even for them.

Just my opinion, the only way they go Elliott in the first is if they trade down. If they trade down to like 8 or 9, the guaranteed money falls to like 12-13MM, which would seem to fit much better with their theory on the TB position.