Zeke's the best RB prospect since All Day

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
They don't want to pay QBs in free agency to come to Dallas so why would they draft one at 4?

These logics are insane. .....stop it

tyke1doe

Reaction score
And that's fine.

But in stating that Elliott is a guy they "could" take, it's fair to point out that if they did take Elliott, it's a clear reversal on a stance they've taken for a few years now, which is not to pay big dollars to a TB. I think that's more applicable to the discussion of whether they will take him or not than people thinking he's can do this or that behind this OL or his fit with the team.

As stated elsewhere in this thread, based on what they think and have said (and acted) about the value of the TB position on this team, passing up a kid like Miller to then pay a rookie TB basically double the guaranteed money would be a pretty bizarre move, even for them.

Just my opinion, the only way they go Elliott in the first is if they trade down. If they trade down to like 8 or 9, the guaranteed money falls to like 12-13MM, which would seem to fit much better with their theory on the TB position.

Fair enough.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not based on the criteria I outlined. Murray wasn't getting that kind of money from the Cowboys because of his age, his injuries and his workload.

I don't know why Lamar Miller didn't get it. Maybe the Cowboys didn't feel he was the type of back they were looking for.

What I'm saying is just because the Cowboys didn't up the ante on either Murray or Miller, doesn't mean their stance represents an ironclad rule.

Jerry/Stephen Jones didn't say they wouldn't pay a running back big time money, did they?

Therefore, one can't say they're going back on their approach when they never articulated that approach.

Ummmmmmmm they kind of did.

I put the quote from Jerry in this very thread.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If there is anyone truly interested in knocks on Elliot:
1. Attitude. He challenged his coaches in the media and had an issue with driving with a suspended license.
2. Carries. He's had almost 600 the last 2 years. That's a scary load as RBs have a certain shelf life total between college and pros.
3. OSU. Big school with 5 stars at most positions. Sports Media very OSU friendly becaue so many went there. Players often spoiled and entitled.

Those are not deal breakers.

Deal breaker is you do not draft RB top 5. Top 10 very questionable.

slick325

Reaction score
Can't see him not going in the top 10. Either Philly at 8 or NYG at 10.

The draft in 2017 will be interesting to see how many RB's actually go in round 1. If they all stay healthy and have good seasons the League will be looking at 6 or 7 backs with 1st round grades.

waving monkey

Reaction score
So just so we understand this.

Cowboys have been pretty clear they won't pay a lot for TBs. It's why they offered Murray just 4 years, $24MM with $12MM guaranteed and balked at coming close to what Miller signed with Miami for - 4 years, $26MM with $14MM.

But they will then turn around and use the 4th pick on a TB and pay him $25MM GUARANTEED.

They do that and they just basically told their fans that previous stances and lines in the sand in what they would pay a TB and how they don't value them at premium dollars was pretty much BS.

just to be clear Murray isnt in the same league as Zeek judt ask Philly
just to be clear

superonyx

Reaction score
Does it not strike you as contradictory that the Cowboys would balk at the cost of backs like Murray and then Miller, but turn around and pay this guy and use the #4 overall pick to do it? Looks asinine to me.

I don't know that they balked at the price of Miller. They may have been told by someone from the Dolphins that the reason he never got fed the ball 20 times per game was because he would be broken down all week between games. I've seen and read the stuff about they trying to get Lamar Miller ready for a larger role.

Also they balked at the price for Murray because he was injured each year including a broken hand his best year...combined with his age could have weighed heavily.

I don't know what will happen...but I have the feeling if Todd Gurley was healthy and in this coming draft they would grab him at 4 with little hesitation and happily pay the price.

would we really just pay some 3-4 DE $4 million per year who wasn't even very good with the Eagles and yet we would refuse to pay a younger impact back like Elliott or Gurley $2 million more. Nah..

superonyx

Reaction score
And that's fine.

But in stating that Elliott is a guy they "could" take, it's fair to point out that if they did take Elliott, it's a clear reversal on a stance they've taken for a few years now, which is not to pay big dollars to a TB. I think that's more applicable to the discussion of whether they will take him or not than people thinking he's can do this or that behind this OL or his fit with the team.

As stated elsewhere in this thread, based on what they think and have said (and acted) about the value of the TB position on this team, passing up a kid like Miller to then pay a rookie TB basically double the guaranteed money would be a pretty bizarre move, even for them.

Just my opinion, the only way they go Elliott in the first is if they trade down. If they trade down to like 8 or 9, the guaranteed money falls to like 12-13MM, which would seem to fit much better with their theory on the TB position.
They are not locked into anything...talking to the Eagles about trading for Murray is already a reversal on the stance you are speaking of. If they had this hard line position on running backs then they wouldn't have even considered bringing him back...especially since he is a year older and a year more injured.

I've seen or heard nothing that says they would not draft a running back in the first round because they have to stay the course of some fans perception.

I think their decision is more around where they see the holes on this team and how they rank the guys in those positions who will be available. We can't know how they feel about Elliott. They may think he is a second round talent and only marginally better than the next tier of backs. Or they may think he is the next coming of Peterson.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This thread is why I love Cowboyszone.

We all understand that Elliot is good but most of us think he is overhyped.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They don't want to pay QBs in free agency to come to Dallas so why would they draft one at 4?

These logics are insane. .....stop it

Actually it's your "logics" that is scary. What does one have to do with the other?

hutch1254

Reaction score
After their free agency signings, if he's there for the Giants, they're going to take him.

I'd just hate to see Odell Beckham Jr., Eli Manning and Ezekiel Elliott all on the same offense.

In fact, if that happened, I would pick the Giants to take the NFC East.

Agree, I'd be shocked if the Giants didn't take him. Kind of strange but if the cards don't go you're way in the first couple picks of the round there you could make an argument that drafting Zeke would be to protect yourself from Giants or Eagles getting him. Wouldn't be all bad. It is a position of need.